Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

MSA Sordin help

:

Gear Discussion

Old July 18th, 2014, 17:40   #1
mr_nuts31

MSA Sordin help

I need help finding a PTT for my RS MSA Sodin because I think I messed up when I tried to purchase one. My radio has a Kenwood style 2 pin, which I got right when I bought a z-tac PTT. The only problem I have is that on the other end, it appears that the Sordins use what appears to be a 3 prong style plug kinda similar to military radios, I'm not too sure of it though. So any suggestions as to trying to find said PTT for sordins?

Also, I'm looking for ARC rails for the sordins as well since most of the ones I found were meant for peltors.
mr_nuts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 18:57   #2
mcguyver

The Peltor ones from Crye work. They cost like $10/set. Go buy a set of cheap Peltor earpro to harvest the swivel and you are good.

Talk to Steve at SRS tactical and get the Peltor Avenger PTT. He has them in stock.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 19:52   #3
Kimbo
formerly pivot

The nexus U94 works well as well
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 20:02   #4
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

3 prongs? wat...

Sordins usually come with a Lemo 6 pin connector, modified ones will likely have a TP-120 connector.

If you have the Lemo 6 pin, you have 2 options:

1-Get it modified to a TP-120. (SRS Tactical or somebody that knows how - the mic will also need to be changed if this is a un-modified headset)

2-Get a pigtail or a coupler to adapt it to a TP-120. (found on EBAY - mic still needs to be changed)

Once it has a TP-120 connector, you can use a fake or real PTT.
Keep in mind that the fake PTTs MAY not be wired up the same as the headset, and will need to be re-wired.

Also note, that the cheapo fake PTTs are one of the biggest weak points in repro comm setups. If you are investing in real sordins, invest in a real PTT like the Nexus U94, you wont regret it. (buy once cry once) Again, SRS tactical can help you with this.

As for the arc rails.
Again, 2 options, that I know of anyways.

1-Find some custom modified peltor adapters, there is a guy here on ASC that I got mine from. (Rookie Ab)

2-Modify your headset to work with the stock peltor adapters using a SARA kit.

Last edited by Cobrajr122; July 18th, 2014 at 20:08..
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:11   #5
mr_nuts31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajr122 View Post
3 prongs? wat...

Sordins usually come with a Lemo 6 pin connector, modified ones will likely have a TP-120 connector.

If you have the Lemo 6 pin, you have 2 options:

1-Get it modified to a TP-120. (SRS Tactical or somebody that knows how - the mic will also need to be changed if this is a un-modified headset)

2-Get a pigtail or a coupler to adapt it to a TP-120. (found on EBAY - mic still needs to be changed)

Once it has a TP-120 connector, you can use a fake or real PTT.
Keep in mind that the fake PTTs MAY not be wired up the same as the headset, and will need to be re-wired.

Also note, that the cheapo fake PTTs are one of the biggest weak points in repro comm setups. If you are investing in real sordins, invest in a real PTT like the Nexus U94, you wont regret it. (buy once cry once) Again, SRS tactical can help you with this.

As for the arc rails.
Again, 2 options, that I know of anyways.

1-Find some custom modified peltor adapters, there is a guy here on ASC that I got mine from. (Rookie Ab)

2-Modify your headset to work with the stock peltor adapters using a SARA kit.
Ahh thanks, figured I get answers from a sig. So yes my sordins are the 6 pin connector thanks to that pic you sent me, and yes I was thinking about getting the RS one from SRS. I know it'll cost me a lot, but I got these sordins off ebay for about $150 so I'm lucky in that sense.

As for the ARC rails, my big concern about them is that I'm running an airframe helmet and there are special adaptors for the rails and the SARA kit. Is there that much of a difference in dimensions between a fast helmet and an airframe that require special parts for them?
mr_nuts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 11:22   #6
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Whatever peltor adapter works on the airframe, should work just fine with the sordins+SARA kit. I am pretty sure that the airframe's use the same adapter as the Ops-core. (ARC Rail)

$150 for the un-modified sordins is a fairly average price, I think I paid about $170 ish a few years ago. What drives the price up again is the work and the parts needed to make them work for us.

If you are getting work done by SRS, I would HIGHLY recommend you get the gel earcup replacements that they stock. They are worth every penny towards your comfort.
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion