Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

The Brits have Won!

:

Canadian Airsoft News Stand

Old September 28th, 2006, 13:41   #31
Dirtbag

2 thoughts

I am out in the boonies of the Fraser Valley in BC, we play on a private airsoft only field, on a dead end road. Our belief is NOT to keep this sport 'under the radar'.

As a result everyone in the area has been invited out to information days, they check out the gear and guns and observe the games. That is 25 more people who know what airsoft is. The result of this minor PR work is we had 35 people in full gear weapons out move 300 meters up a public road to an alternate field, with the only comment from the locals being big game today eh.

We have talked to the local RCMP detachment, so they are aware of us. The result of this is that when a car of our players got pulled over in road block for poachers, the only comment when the gun case was opened was how much do those cost, and man that's why I don't play this game.

What does all this have to do with the discussion at hand. Simple, visibility and information are our friends. Talk to people, talk to your local, provincial and federal politicians. They may only give you lip service, but they will know something about airsoft when you are done. If you can get one out to a game all the better, and if you do get them out make sure they see a game in play, let them try the various weapons out.

In the end educate them about the disparity in the firearms regulations, why some clear guns have no problems yet ours do. If you take this route only use facts and no bull, print out the information tell them about the various clear guns at CT and other retailers, that are ignored by the rules.

Acknowledge the concerns of the police, about low end airsoft being used by low end criminals. Accept there are problems and suggest solutions.

The more educated the politicans are the easier it is to get them to change something.

Should this be a global airsoft discussion yes, every player in Canada should be involved, every site linked to a common discussion with ruthless moderators removing flamers and morons. Then we will be seen as a nationwide sport, and hopefully taken more seriously. To have a successful change to the firearms regulations we need to be seen as a SPORT, that has everyday people in it. Not just a bunch of loonies running around in the woods.

Sorry if this rambles but that is how my mind works.
Dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 20:07   #32
NailX

Send a message via MSN to NailX
If the goverment has a such a problem, then set a system where to buy you must show your drivers ID and your Drivers # through a system. Or even set up a whole new License system for people. It would lower who is able to get them because a back ground check would be ran before you could even buy them. Have the dealers be on a list for custom's to check the packages that way they can determine if the person is a Licsensed dealer by the goverment. That way only certain people can order them in, and only certain sites could sell. (Not counting buying used guns from others, that would be a issue on its own). That way when you go to buy a gun, they check both the drivers and Airsoft license, run it through a system to see if your able to buy, then sell you. The canadian sites could even put it on their sites so you must enter the # off the license and get a check before your order is shipped out to make sure your legit. Its not a complicated thing really
"Ya.... But... to bad i am on your team..." - Me
NailX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 15:23   #33
de-mix

About to blurt some random thoughts, some could touch base with useful, some useless. Either way, not much to do with the brits.

At the same time, its good to keep things basic, and logical.
If the teams and players are responsible, things shouldn't have to be complicated in the least.

Its those who abuse that make things confusing.
Again, like another popular heated debate "no victim, no crime"
It's true indeed that we require to advertise responsible use+storage of these products, but its almost upsetting that not enough realize the culture that’s really there. Age verification was/is the answer.

This is going to be a really rash opinion coming up, but..

In the case of someone using an airsoft gun or replica to commit a crime, such as a robbery. It raises the possibility "sure, someone could get shot"
Usually the person who decides to break the law. Maybe an innocent.
We all recognize that punishment would be no different if it was real or fake firearm, but why should that make the fake ones illegal?

If I worked at a gas station for example, I would much rather be held up by a replica , over a knife, or a real firearm.

Push comes to shove.. most people suggest to tighten laws.
Make things "tougher"

The past etc, USA.... Usually generates more problems. Think about one solution, one direction that makes it possible. Not a gradual clenching of the fist.

Looking at the crosman airsoft guns in Canadian tire, Good old transparent plastic with minimal moving parts.
It's not our first choice, but as far as getting airsoft to Canadians in a retail environment. That’s great progress.

But!
I would hate to think we would all settle with that quality. It's obvious with airsoft that blaze orange doesn't sit well in everyone’s stomach.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 15:22   #34
CanadianChick

Send a message via MSN to CanadianChick
I'm in the UK (Scotland) and the next stage we are at now is creating a registered database of players. Each site is responsible for creating a 'list' of players which, basically, will allow you to purchase airsoft guns. To get on the list, you must have played airsoft a minimum of 4 times in the past year and be at least 18 years old. The list will be available online by all shops who can access it to verify that you are a player (once you produce ID). Online ordering will only be sent to the registered users' address. This move has allowed us to proceed with having this sport keep going in the UK and will curb the sale of guns to 'assholes' who are out to ruin the sport by using them for things other than airsoft.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 15:38   #35
Kimbo
formerly pivot

This is going to be the sort of thing that will have to happen here. I hope that by the time this escallates in Canada to the point where lawmakers are seriously looking at airsoft, the UK will have a few years of experience with their regulatory controls that the government can use as a blueprint for us.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 15:44   #36
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianChick View Post
I'm in the UK (Scotland) and the next stage we are at now is creating a registered database of players. Each site is responsible for creating a 'list' of players which, basically, will allow you to purchase airsoft guns. To get on the list, you must have played airsoft a minimum of 4 times in the past year and be at least 18 years old. The list will be available online by all shops who can access it to verify that you are a player (once you produce ID). Online ordering will only be sent to the registered users' address. This move has allowed us to proceed with having this sport keep going in the UK and will curb the sale of guns to 'assholes' who are out to ruin the sport by using them for things other than airsoft.
So a national registry for airsoft players and their guns..., well you gotta do what you gotta do...
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 15:48   #37
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivot View Post
This is going to be the sort of thing that will have to happen here. I hope that by the time this escallates in Canada to the point where lawmakers are seriously looking at airsoft, the UK will have a few years of experience with their regulatory controls that the government can use as a blueprint for us.
It is not that easy... in the UK realistic imitations went from not proscribed to banned pretty much overnight. As this was new legislation there was a window of opportunity to have written in defenses apended to the law.

There is, here in canada, already lots of laws proscribing imitation and replica firearms.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 09:58   #38
Kurgan

Send a message via MSN to Kurgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianChick View Post
Heh... good frickin luck with that. Airsofters, in particular frequent posters on this forum, tend to run an hide rather than gather and rally. Trying to organize a united front with this group (even posting the idea of it) is like cutting yourself to control the bleeding to a wound. You'll just end up in worse shape and in the end, your idea will be dead and in the trash.

Anyone else who's suggested we try to prepare airsoft for the inevitable can tell you the same, and there a tons of posts that have resulted in flamefest due to ignorance of the inevitable..... but hey... if you think you're any different give it a whirl... but you'd better be prepared for a fire.
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:13   #39
BloodSport
Traveling Man

Kurgan, you do realize she lives in Scotland right? And that she's talking about what they are doing over there...... They already won the right to have Airsoft full time, now they are expanding on the network to keep it that way. It good news to hear.
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:38   #40
Deathblow

Agreed Bloodsport, it is indeed good news to hear.

- DB
Old January 24th, 2007, 14:10   #41
Kurgan

Send a message via MSN to Kurgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodSport View Post
Kurgan, you do realize she lives in Scotland right? And that she's talking about what they are doing over there...... They already won the right to have Airsoft full time, now they are expanding on the network to keep it that way. It good news to hear.

I know she's in Scotland, and I stand by my comments. Good to hear or not, it won't happen in Canada, least of all on this forum. The Canadian attitude is to keep it a secret and hide.
Old January 24th, 2007, 14:30   #42
BloodSport
Traveling Man

No the Canadian attitue is not to keep it a secret and hide. If it was then these sites would not be open to the public, and would be hidden inside of other sites with strict password control and access.

If by pushing to have airsoft 18+ and restricting its access to minors is to you, secret and hiding meh. I call it proactive and open.

If this becomes more main stream and supportive by other countries, it will only help us more. As it will give us history and proof that it works. Now if only we could get all actually agree to 100% support the 18+ rules (retailers/teams/players) then the next steps would be easier to take.
Old January 29th, 2007, 16:45   #43
Kusiami
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Kusiami Send a message via MSN to Kusiami Send a message via Yahoo to Kusiami
The 18+ rules are excellent and I fully support the idea, but the system currently in place needs some SERIOUS refinement and bolstering. While having in-person age verification is the best way to ensure that airsoft guns go into responsible hands, it is a major hinderance to the growth of the sport in areas where airsoft is not already prominent.

For example, take a look at Sudbury, where only a handful of people currently enjoy the sport, but a much larger interest does exist. There being no registered age verifier in the region, enthusiasts are forced to travel south for the sole purpose of getting verified.

The system in place would work so well if there were age verifiers everywhere, and I suppose that patience will certainly pay off in that regard - but it is frustrating and it does prevent growth.
Kusiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 15:21   #44
CanadianChick

Send a message via MSN to CanadianChick
Just to clarify - The database won't be a government-run thing (which would be destined to fail). Its being organised and managed by airsoft shops as a way of showing the government that we can manage our own sport and that they are willing to control the sale of their weapons. This will prevent "corner shops" from selling these things to assholes who take them into the streets and cause all our problems with the public. In the end, its in the shops best interest to see this through. Perhaps Canadian shop owners would be the best ones to take up the challenge of getting it sorted there?

I've seen an increase in the numbers of airsofters getting into the sport in the past few months - our site has almost doubled its numbers!! I think this is because people aren't nervous anymore about potentially having to give it up. I'm really pleased to see almost immediate effects!

Good luck with getting things done over there!
Old February 12th, 2007, 17:50   #45
gunscythe

And take a look up North here too. I often talk to federal police, ert teams, and can/have shown and demonstrate airsoft to them. But all I can tell them is "you can't buy one...we need to get age verified, which we can't do.".

So we don't really win any allies that way. Just makes them think that it's an illegal act. So while their initial interest is "this is something we should all do", it ends up turning into "this is an illegal underground act that they keep hidden."

I'm sure there are many stories like mine.

We're putting the retailer above our own federal forces, and that's just asking for trouble IMHO.

If you have constructive criticism on how I can support the sport more, let me know...
gunscythe is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > Canadian Airsoft News Stand