Greater Toronto Area Milsim Airsoft Convention October 28 2006

:

Canadian Airsoft News Stand

Old October 28th, 2006, 22:52   #106
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer_1 View Post
I though this was a very dissapointing event.
You left before more venders arrived... and the next one in the spring will be bigger and better, thanks for you feedback, can you provide more details as to why you found it dissapointing?
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 12:25   #107
willowretreat

Thanks must go out to Brian for arranging this event,
The day started off slow, most probably due to the lousy weather and the road closures that Toronto had this weekend.
Buy lunchtime we had a steady flow of people comming in, a lot of new people to Airsoft, lots of questions.
I personally spent a hour with one group of under 18 year olds, who by the end of our talk, were chomping at the bit to get into Airsoft, I think their X box's are going up for sale on e-bay.
Or It could be that after sometime spent Knife sparing with Shawn ( Thanks for your instruction Shawn) and myself, they couldnt hold the controlers !!

A good first turn out, im looking forward to the spring event, hopefully it will be on a weekend when we arent running one of our courses, (Hint to Brian.)
I must also say thanks to the vendors who did turn up and the teams who took part in the best gear/ equipment competition, special mention must go to the guys who showed off their WW2 gear, great stuff guys, now if I can just make more space and convience the wife to let me buy more gear, im in LOL (anyone know a good divorce lawyer !! :-))

Looking forward to the spring event..
Regards Paul Cobham
Willowretreat.com
willowretreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 15:37   #108
Farmboy

Thanks Brian for putting this on, and to those who took part in it.

The afternoon did pick up and it was great to put faces to names.

I look forward to a spring event with a better turn out, more venders etc.

Paul

I look forward to coming up for a vacation!!

Exclusive Canadian Distributor for Blue Force Gear, Knights Armament, Rainier Arms, High Ground, Battle Comp, Multitasker and more!

http://oneshottactical.com/

One Shot Tactical Inc.
Farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 18:05   #109
made Man

Send a message via ICQ to made Man
Airsoft Convention? COSPLAY? lol.
You dont choose who you love, love chooses you; and that little fucking son of a bitch sticks itself to your face like the godless bloodsucking bastards in Alien and refuses to let go until it has drained your soul and left you an empty shell of a human being.

I am worth $2,106,266.00 on HumanForSale.com

<axel026> i need help please
<^cell^> do you have an appointment?
<axel026> im french
<^cell^> i see... thats a terrible disorder
made Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 19:28   #110
counter gangsta

If only there was an event like this in BC.........
counter gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 19:47   #111
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Next time

I have had a bit of time to review the day...

these were the good things about GMAC.

Good attendance, I expected about 60 people we got over 100
good mixing of people.. everyone mixed and talked to each other,, something that does not seem to happen at games.
Face to face meeting of different "sections" of the community.. Many people who have not played together had a chance to meet, and put a face to a name that was only a stranger on line before.
Good prizes!!

Things that were bad:

not enough venders
Not enough variety of venders
no gun sales.
No kill house

I am going to organize a gathering in the spring and I will try to address the "bad things"

Fact is I kinda threw this event together and other aspects of my life conspired to reduce the time I had to work on it..

I will start now to set up GMAC spring 2007 and it will be bigger and better than GMAC Fall 2006

Again thanks to those who supported this event...

And a special thanks to the TTAC3 regulars that helped out to keep it all running smoothly.

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old October 29th, 2006, 20:08   #112
Manaconda
Official ASC Inker

Send a message via MSN to Manaconda
Thanx goes out to Brian. Dude only you could do something like this man! The paratroopers and the germans were amazing! You guys have yer shit together. I know most of us like to look cool in our new gear and look tactical but these guys realy looked the part. I would love to play a game with these guys. I met some real cool people. People who are in the sport and people lookin to get into the sport. It was great givin advice to people face to face. I think they realy enjoy it. There could have been more vendors and more teams and what not but atleast we managed to exchange cool stories and chat.

Then my hangover kicked in sorry Brian.

Thanx again mate

In Toronto and want a rad tattoo? PM me
Manaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 20:13   #113
Moz

I dropped by earlier in the day with one other person, I enjoyed it but she was displeased by the lack of historical knowledge of whoever those WW2 re-enactors were. One person in Airborne gear didn't even know what the MP40 was chambered in!

There was someone (in a heer uniform I believe) who actually knew quite a bit but he went off with a SS NCO in Oak Smocks(? I don't know my Wehrmacht very well) and my companion was already beaconing for us to leave. (she wasn't impressed by the flimsiness of the K98)

She did win a door prize: Black Tactical gloves which I wasn't allowed to touch at all. (If I had won them they would have been hers anyway)

Woman, eh?

I personally would love to attend the spring one, and I'm going to start putting money aside for my first AEG.

edit: you know what I friggin forgot to do! I forgot to get age verified.

argh

Last edited by Moz; October 29th, 2006 at 20:51..
Moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 08:43   #114
Farmboy

Brian

Count me in for the spring event. 4 tables

Exclusive Canadian Distributor for Blue Force Gear, Knights Armament, Rainier Arms, High Ground, Battle Comp, Multitasker and more!

One Shot Tactical Inc.
Old October 30th, 2006, 09:07   #115
as_styles

Count us in forsure. We will come up with some door prizes as well.

AS
as_styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:30   #116
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

The next one...

Over the next week I will be doing a detailed analysis of what went well what could be better...

I want to set the date for the spring convention soon so that people can plan.

The timing for this one was bad for a few venders due to the proximity to Halloween... and so they were not able to come...

That coupled with some teams opting out for other reasons combined to reduce the planned number of participants..

I am confident that I can get a much wider selection of venders for the spring event...

I had a lot of things get in the way of me spending more time on organization..Things that won't be an issue in the spring.

The one thing that did surprise me was that the Kit Swap did not have many participants... I think that there were maybe a dozen transactions... I got rid of about $100 worth of stuff... and purchased about $150...so it worked out for me...

I had a number of people inquire about gun sales... and they seemed dissapointed that there were no gun sales.
I chose not to allow gun sales for this one.... I may change that position for the spring show... but I will have to study the issue at greater length..

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Last edited by Brian McIlmoyle; October 30th, 2006 at 11:10..
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:19   #117
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Brian, I would encourage you to engage in a wider consultation for your spring event, and discuss and collectively agree on the media contact that might take place, or any media contact in the interim.

As a vendor, and a player, I am conflicted in one sense. Ultimately we do occupy a grey area in the legislation and there *is* real risk in these kind of events. My personal and work life comes into conflict in that area, so while some here may poo-poo the risk I refer to, please accept that from my point of view, there are risks which I need to have some assurance of control over.

As for rumors circulating that we (as a team) torpedo'd this event, those are completely unfounded, although I can accept that the position certain members with team authority (including myself) communicated left no doubt that we felt the event was ill advised given the prior media contact and the current debate surrounding that. I think the fact the the concerns were 1) not addressed, 2) we were attacked openly for those concerns is a failure that we as a community should address and resolve. But being vocal and being influential are two different things. I think our influence here is limited. As you can see, my team affiliation in this regard has no bearing on my opinion, as I am at somewhat odds with my other fellow members.

Unfortunately I don't think internet d-boards are a very good place for those kinds of discussions because its an environment that transmits 10% of ones message, leaving 90% of the communications telemetry up for grabs (ie: body language, intonation, inflection). I'd recommend a face-to-face on this at some point when people have chilled out a little and are ready to talk.
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:56   #118
Farmboy

This might be a great way to bridge some conflicts and allow for a much better event.

As Scarecrow has suggested maybe a "board" or "group" made up of some team reps, venders, establishment owners could sit down together a few times to come up with a way to approach this to satisfy as many concerns as possible.

Ultimately it is Brians facility and what he does there is up to him, to establish an annual or bi-annual event though, the more input from everyone the better.

One Shot Tactical Inc.
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:58   #119
lt_poncho

Send a message via MSN to lt_poncho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
Brian

Count me in for the spring event. 4 tables
Bring more delicious TAN items too!
lt_poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 13:12   #120
MMMiles!
Part man, part machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
As Scarecrow has suggested maybe a "board" or "group" made up of some team reps, venders, establishment owners could sit down together a few times to come up with a way to approach this to satisfy as many concerns as possible.

Ultimately it is Brians facility and what he does there is up to him, to establish an annual or bi-annual event though, the more input from everyone the better.
I think it's clear that the people that showed up and supported this event, supported the conditions under which it was run - and it was a great success. You can't please everyone all of the time, but those of us that are interested in having this sport move forward can keep supporting events like this.

You bring 4 tables farmboy, we'll bring 5! It's on!

Problem is come next time I don't think I'm going to be able to resist buying an Eagle rig from you, so I think you've already won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt_poncho View Post
Bring more delicious TAN items too!
You said it. That Ciras was drop dead sexy. I curse you, one-shot...
MMMiles! is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > Canadian Airsoft News Stand