Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Airsoft CO2 Mortar Questions

:

General

Old August 19th, 2014, 15:12   #1
True_Minecrafter

Airsoft CO2 Mortar Questions

I just want to say, I am getting my name changed.... Hopefully. So don't flame about my name please. But I wanted to know how this worked and what parts I would need, apart from the aluminium frame, Nerf football and CO2. (The picture is this: http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...NerfMortar.gif). And if anyone knows how to build it it would be greatly appreciated if you tell me and the rest of the people interested in this.
True_Minecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 15:18   #2
Danke

A) That will just tumble with that weight in the back.

B) No one is going to let you launch Co2 Capsules anywhere near other players.

Try building that and you'll be a sorry puppy.
Old August 19th, 2014, 15:44   #3
Grudge
multitech

Looking at the picture. It seems that the aluminum shell and CO2 cartridge would remain in the mortar tube and only the Nerf football would come out.

Not sure you would get a good enough seal if you are dropping the unit in like a mortar round should be. There would need to be something to pierce the CO2 cartridge on the back of the Nerf football. I don't think you would have enough weight in it to pierce the CO2.

Plus it would require turning the tube over to get the expended shell out.

Last edited by Grudge; August 19th, 2014 at 15:46..
Grudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 15:51   #4
Danke

There are tons of airsoft artillery options that work on the same principle as a pumpkin gun. Go that route; having a valve that opens fast is key. It has to dump the pressure as soon as you pull the lever.

If grudge's take is right and then yeah way more problems. The Co2 will not toss out that football with any serious energy. It'll just waste itself equalizing pressure and then you'll have to clear the breech for he next shot.
Old August 19th, 2014, 15:59   #5
Grudge
multitech

There is a youtube video of a breach loaded, HPA artillery piece. He fires Nerf footballs at an astonishing rate.
Old August 19th, 2014, 16:29   #6
Danke

I think there are a few links to 105 videos in the site here.
Old August 19th, 2014, 20:30   #7
True_Minecrafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudge View Post
Looking at the picture. It seems that the aluminum shell and CO2 cartridge would remain in the mortar tube and only the Nerf football would come out.

Not sure you would get a good enough seal if you are dropping the unit in like a mortar round should be. There would need to be something to pierce the CO2 cartridge on the back of the Nerf football. I don't think you would have enough weight in it to pierce the CO2.

Plus it would require turning the tube over to get the expended shell out.
I think what the picture intends to happen is that since the Cartridge is sticking out a bit, when you drop the shell inside it will push the cartridge up into the puncturing device thing, then it will push the ball out and I will remove the cartridge.
Old August 19th, 2014, 21:07   #8
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

i dunno about that design, the co2 will either have to be dumped out or itll shoot out the bottom unless it has some kind of clamp or screw to hold it in place.
id just build the airsoft howitzer, much funner lol
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3yc3fAC5vOI
or at least build a mortar on te same basic design as the howitzer. If you google airsoft howitzer he has a crash course on how to make one so u can get some ideas there
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft

Last edited by Hectic; August 19th, 2014 at 21:13..
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 21:34   #9
True_Minecrafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
i dunno about that design, the co2 will either have to be dumped out or itll shoot out the bottom unless it has some kind of clamp or screw to hold it in place.
id just build the airsoft howitzer, much funner lol
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3yc3fAC5vOI
or at least build a mortar on te same basic design as the howitzer. If you google airsoft howitzer he has a crash course on how to make one so u can get some ideas there
I do like the howitzers a lot, but how are you gonna transport that giant thing across half an entire field, not including air pumps and ammo. You would only need a max of 2 people on a mortar team, ammo bearer/loader, and a gunner. Mortar is also lighter and more mobile. I might base a couple things off his video. Thanks!
Old August 19th, 2014, 23:11   #10
Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Minecrafter View Post
I think what the picture intends to happen is that since the Cartridge is sticking out a bit, when you drop the shell inside it will push the cartridge up into the puncturing device thing, then it will push the ball out and I will remove the cartridge.
This isn't minecraft.

The escaping gas will take the path of least resistance.

Your could just get some stomp rockets from Toys R Us and shoot farther.
Old August 20th, 2014, 01:56   #11
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Actually I have seen some very successful airsoft AT-4 launchers built that way or similar. The Nerf football comes out with some good stank on it too. Firstly you have to have the Nerf footballs with the tail fins on them, they're actually quite small. Second the CO2 carts were pre-punctured into a reservoir in the back I believe, and then the device fired by valve or button release if memory serves. You won't be able to go full mortar style though as the football won't have enough weight to actuate a primer or release. You could drop it in and then manually release though. I think you only get one shot per cart as well. Buy the footballs online in bulk. They are relatively hard to find and some of them went so far we never found them again. As for exact schematics I can't say, built by members of JOC in Calgary. I've only fired it once myself and seen it fired numerous times.
Old August 20th, 2014, 15:27   #12
True_Minecrafter

I read this online just a couple minutes ago. What if I use an M203 grenade with no BB's and only CO2, same principle as the shell and football, just the gas will be propelled outwards instead. Thoughts?
Old August 20th, 2014, 15:32   #13
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

that could work, but youd likely want to make it a breach load of some sort for it to work smoothly
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 16:06   #14
Grudge
multitech

You also need to remember that you will need to fill the entire barrel of the mortar to get the football to exit at any kind of speed. I'm not sure there would be enough volume in a single Cart to do that.

I'm working on a airsoft version of an ARMBRUST (German rocket launcher) that uses a paintball gun as the trigger section. I'm reducing the barrel size (.68 to .375) to allow a metal tube to fit down the hollow inside of some foam and rubber rockets I have. It will load from the front. Paintball gun will be inside the main tube section (4 inch plastic pipe as it doesn't need to hold pressure) Air bottle will be stored in the back section of the fake launch tube.
Old August 20th, 2014, 16:21   #15
Danke

Why not this,

http://madbull.com/catalog/en/produc...slug-shot.html

and this,

http://www.kingarms.com/productpage.asp?prodid=1825

?

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General