Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Sniper bullet for airsoft

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old August 18th, 2008, 07:33   #31
LoricTheMad

I've heard that. I don't know how many if any at all are in Canada, but the guys from Airsoft Austria that do the youtube videos have one. If you can get into contact with those guys, they might be able to answer some questions too.
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:51   #32
Nik12

Send a message via MSN to Nik12
Don't forget to remove the hop up.

But seriously, I like the idea. Keep me posted an dI might take an interest in a sniper position.

Out of Sport. Have Fun!

Last edited by Nik12; August 18th, 2008 at 09:54..
Nik12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:07   #33
Auklin

Neat idea, I like the science, but has anyone thought of the Mag? im guessing the back is about the same size as a BB or 6mm projectile (it would have to be to catch all the pressure) so its a good length, but if the mag is spring, then the bbs may get jammed in the curvs of the Mag... can someone try to explain it better?....
Auklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:25   #34
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Aerodynamically it will be much worse than a BB with a backspin, simply because that above design will suffer more drag due to the two rings (vorticies behind the first, much bigger vortex behind the bullet as well. At least a BB with a back spin on it has a much smaller vortex behind it, compared to a BB with no backspin (hop up generates lift as well as drag reduction).

Try a redesign with your concept, taper the back end of the bullet, same principal idea as why modern long range bullets (aka since WW1) have a boattail, reduced drag, more efficient trajectory, longer range accuracy than a flat bottomed bullet.

Regarding the hop up in guns, just need minimal hop up setting to keep the round seated in the chamber.

I really like the thought put into this though, very creative, I'm going to enjoy watching this thread!
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:32   #35
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post

Try a redesign with your concept, taper the back end of the bullet, same principal idea as why modern long range bullets (aka since WW1) have a boattail, reduced drag, more efficient trajectory, longer range accuracy than a flat bottomed bullet.
Something like this?

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:36   #36
The Saint

That much mass in the back will cause the projectile to pitch.
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:37   #37
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
Something like this?

No, a total taper on backside. The 90deg edges on that will still created drag because the airflow will be over it, but under that airflow line will be the vorticies that cause the drag. Just taper it like a pencil, or a gradual rounding.

Check these out:

This design would be what the initial design would 'kinda' look like (obviously at a slower speed but is a good example). You can see behind the bullet the vorticies (like a boat's wake), that is drag. Yes drag is also at the front as well as how easily the air can flow over the surface, but you can't overly help that. I'm suggesting reducing the vacuum in the rear by tapering the tail.

Here's what a boattail bullet looks like:

Much less drag due to the reduced aerodynamic 'vacuum' in the bullet's wake.

Last edited by CDN_Stalker; August 18th, 2008 at 10:46..
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:38   #38
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
No, a total taper on backside. The 90deg edges on that will still created drag because the airflow will be over it, but under that airflow line will be the vorticies that cause the drag. Just taper it like a pencil, or a gradual rounding.
Oh, I get it now. xD

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:49   #39
Amos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
Something like this?

No, Like this:

G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 13:03   #40
Tankdude

Tankdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 13:37   #41
Auhydride

Send a message via ICQ to Auhydride Send a message via MSN to Auhydride
Airsoft barrels being used for firearms is nothing new, thats why ours will be produced from aluminium and similiar materials, not steel, if someone converts them to a working firearm, it can get us into trouble.
I will ask if the original design will have tapered end.
And yes, we will modify a magazine to carry tests, but if results are good and people stay interested, we will supply magazines too.
Eventually other models can have their own kits, all depends on the budget and results of other non airsoft related business my friend runs.
Auhydride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 16:53   #42
grantmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auhydride View Post
The bullet have two rings on it, since the barrel will be rifled, the contact area with the barrel have to be small, so the rifling can notch the bullet's surface and get a grip, i didn't exactly get what you meant with thinner rear skirt, you mean it should have larger diameter than the front ring, so it seals the air?
Problem with weight is, when the bullet shape is good enough, you don't need much weight to store the energy, 0.4 would mean slower bullet, longer flight time, and more chance for the wind to effect the bullet.

True, these don't get widespread quickly, but do you want them to be widespread? Everyone would snipe that way, most airsoft guns are so mass produced, they lose originality, it would be nice to see someone using totally new on a field.
I meant that the back of the pellet should be able to deform to seal in the barrel. This is where most of the efficiency is lost with airsoft in that it has a very poor seal. If you can get a decent seal then the rifling will be more effective and you will also be able to reduce gas usage for the same velocity.

Now as to a spinning BB being more ballistically efficient then a shaped projectile that will come-down to what ballistic coeficient and sectional density you can achieve. In general the longer you can make a projectile the more efficient it is and the heavier it is for a given diameter the better it will perform. This is why heavier BBs don't seem to suffer for their loss of velocity, because they are more ballistically efficient due to increased sectional density and so maintain their speed better.

I would personally love to see something like a boattail round but with two small o-rings to seal it to the barrel. Also you could use some .25 caliber barrel liner as a start for your barrel, then you won't have to rifle anything yourself.
Cheers,
Grant
grantmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 18:00   #43
tunabreath

I have to second doing your initial tests with a Tanaka series gas rifle rather than a spring one. So long as you have a regulated gas supply to take care of consistency, it would be ideal since the bolt actually opens, allowing you to load the pellets by hand (so you don't need to figure out any sort of magazine or feed system yet.
Old August 18th, 2008, 20:13   #44
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankdude View Post
Hahaha nicely done! I like the bitches!

Back on track, I don't expect a lot of range compared to our standard, hopuped BBs. My airguns pellets, althoug firing stronger that my 450fps airsoft M24, don't have half it's range due to the lack of BBs. Granted the acuracy is much better.

So, what are the ranges expected for these munitions? If they are kept with the same weights as the regular 6mm ammo, you don't have a lot of play with fps to keep them from being dangerous. That don't favor range.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:36   #45
grantmac

I think that this should be primarily about consistancy. As it is there is very little adjustment for distance in airsoft because past a certain distance the accuracy just goes right out the window. What we need isn't more speed of less drop, what we need is consistant drop and wind drift.
I would love if range estimation and bullet drop were more of a factor for sniping, then the role would be much more realistic.
Cheers,
Grant
grantmac is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion