Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

ICS AK-74M Canadian Review *UPDATE*

:

Reviews

Old August 11th, 2006, 11:33   #121
Myrrlyn

Send a message via MSN to Myrrlyn
I recieved a coulpe of Star mags from Mac when I bought his....Haven't tries em out yet cause I got a crap load of others. The mag does fit "nicely" into the mag receiver though.
Old August 11th, 2006, 14:00   #122
JimmyP056

Glad I got mine! :-D

:-D
"DO I NEED GOOGLES I HAVE TOUGH EYES!" <-- Idiots
JimmyP056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 14:14   #123
mcguyver

When I had that one Myrrlyn, it fit Star, CA, Marui AK-47 lowcaps and CA SLR105A1 highcap. All mags fed well and fit well.

Sure, you may not have the "exact" 74-105 series of mags, but I doubt the guy at the receiving end of your barrage is going to care. But he will care that you don't have any pesky hicap failures like jamming or unwinding as your mags feed flawlessly.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 21:22   #124
Jesse_Kazzz

yeah i like the review but i am having problems. when I attempt to fire my gun it sounds like gringing scratchy sounds and I tried adjusting the allan wrench adjuster under the handle grip at the bottom of the motor but i cant get it working. How can I get the motor gear lock in to the other gear so that it works again?
Jesse_Kazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 21:53   #125
mcguyver

You probably have a stripped gear. Recently, I've had 3 ICS guns with stripped sector gear teeth. It could be the problem you have here. One of these was the new AK-74M.

Gears for ICS should be easy to get in the U.S. though.

Old August 11th, 2006, 21:53   #126
Vivisector

Send a message via MSN to Vivisector
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalashnikov
So does this gun take the STAR 30 roud clips or not?
They are a tight fit but they work.
Vivisector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 22:10   #127
Jesse_Kazzz

ok, should I get all new gears or just one of the three. If one, which one and what are they called exactly and where can I find them (where do you recommend buying them)?
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:56   #128
Myrrlyn

Send a message via MSN to Myrrlyn
If you know how to take apart a mechbox then take it apart and see what gears you need then order 'em (its not like you can use your AEG anyway right?). If you don't know anything about mechboxes...find a gun dr. or someone experienced and see if they can help/show you.
Old August 13th, 2006, 14:46   #129
Jesse_Kazzz

yeah i know how to do most of the stuff in the mechbox, i just hope this is it becuase its like 70 $ at airsoftatlana to buy the gears. The first time it happened I just had to tighten and loosen the motor with an allan wrench until it worked but I think from doing it too much I slowly stripped it like mcgyver said so I guess I'll just order the gears.

When I get the gears though, how do I know how far to tighten the motor so that it works properly withought stripping?
Old August 13th, 2006, 23:29   #130
mcguyver

You tighten the motor adjustment screw until the pitch becomes much louder and "screechier" than when you started. Then you back off the screw 1/4 turn. You should do it in semi firing twice per adjustment. When you do adjustment, don't move the screw more than 1/4 turn per trial.

And $70 for ICS gears in the U.S. is robbery. I used to pay $59 Can. for them. Go to Airsoft Elite or Airsplat as both carry ICS (AE is the U.S. distributor). And you can't use anyone else's gears unless you change the bushings as the axle holes are different diameters.

Old August 14th, 2006, 10:36   #131
Jesse_Kazzz

ok on airsplat i can buy them seperate and they are all called ics/classic army bevel gear for 9.95 usa each. could you look to make sure that would be right to buy before i do it please?

thanks for the help
Old August 14th, 2006, 14:19   #132
Vivisector

Okay, brought it out through its first skirmish today. It got some VERY rough treatment.

1) Way too big for CQB. Banger the flashhider off of several walls. Not a scratch on it.

2) While running hard, I tripped and fell very hard onto the gun. Heard a loud crack. Stood up in horror, only to find nothing wrong with the gun, and a broken stick about 4cm wide which I broke with the gun. Again, not a scratch on the gun.

3) Just one weird quirk: Switched from safe to semi really fast and the trigger wouldn't pull. It was locked into place as if it were still in safe. Flicked it back to safe then to semi, worked fine after that. Only happened one time.

Overall, it's the best stock gun i've ever held. Built like a T-72, amazing performance. Very fast firing rate and the best range i've seen on a stock gun. I think i'm in love
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:37   #133
Tankdude

This is a nice nice nice gun.

Feels better then any other gun I have ever owned and I have owned quite a few.

All the parts are made with precision and are tight.

I don't like how the hicaps get taken down for cleaning, but you get two so it off sets that.

Nice box.
Tankdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 18:31   #134
Vivisector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisector
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666
I finally had a chance to test side rail with r/s PSO1 scope. It doesn't fit. Rail construction is slightly different from r/s or Guarder rails. So if you want to use r/s optics or RDS than you will have to replace the rail.

Edit, apparently PO scope (civi version of PSO1) fits ICS AK. I just found some pics of the gun with PO scope on it. Doesn't make any sence to me since both scopes are made for the same side rail as far as I know.
http://www.red-alliance.net/phpBB2/v...r=asc&start=18

Apparently it's a little smaller and thinner than the real steel one, but with some adjustment on the scope itself it will work. Also, in the review thread on Red Alliance, there is a picture of one with a PK-AS mounted on the stock rail.

I have a theory that ICS may have fixed the rail in the recent batch of guns.
Time to eat my own words...

I bought a POSP 4x24 for my gun, and it doesn't fit. The rail isn't wide enough, even with the tension on the scope's mount being all of the way on. In addition, the ICS rail and the real steel rail's mount holes are in different spots, so they aren't readily interchangable.

HOWEVER, I found that making the mount bigger by simply gluing a small piece of sheet metal in a certain spot on the rail will let the scope fit tightly and comfortably, with no wobble whatsoever.

I'll make a picture post in the AEG solutions forum when my camera is around, detailing the required mod.
Old September 13th, 2006, 18:46   #135
Berkut
PinkEagle

FYI,
ICS is now selling "upgrated" side rail and it suppose to fit RS stuff...

G63
Berkut is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews