Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Joules, FPS and upgrading your gun

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old January 8th, 2017, 20:10   #1
Showe22

Joules, FPS and upgrading your gun

I am upgrading a VSR 10 G Spec extensively. Before I dump a huge chunk of money into a Novritsch tuning kit and buy a barrel, I have a few questions.

I have heard that heavier bbs benefit from a shorter barrel. The tuning kit allows me to choose the length of my 6.01 inner barrel. I want to stick with a shorter barrel, like the Gspec, but dont want to buy a barrel that will result in a gun shooting too hot.

I'll be signing up for a Level 1 certification this summer so I can run my gun at 500 fps.

If I buy a 330mm inner barrel, but find its shooting too hot, can I simply cut the spring down to compensate for muzzle velocity?
Showe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 21:42   #2
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Or just change springs.
Just beware of whether it's using 11mm OD or 13mm OD springs. But there are VSR-10 springs available all over.

Longer barrels increase joule creep, since heavier BBs are under acceleration for a longer period of time. Bolt actions are more prone to joule creep because they're over-volumed.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 22:54   #3
Amos

Don't buy a Novritsch kit. They're just the EDGI kits with a brand slapped on them. You don't even get a 90 degree trigger sear... You're stuck with a 45 degree sear, which is a huge bitch to deal with on high FPS builds.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 23:50   #4
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Don't use barrel length or bore to control your FPS/velocity. Get the best, most appropriate barrel you can and go from there. As ThunderCactus said; "just change the spring". You don't need a long barrel or an overly tight barrel, 6.03 or 6.04 should be good and 430mm or less. Both of those dynamics will help you avoid barrel fouling.

Keep your stock TM hop, but get the arm modified and either get a good bucking like firefly, or get it R-hopped.

Look into the V-Trigger, it's worth the cash and get a proper cylinder kit like PDI, which should come with cylinder, spring guide, nozzle, etc.

After that you want to bring up your FPS high enough to run good quality, heavy ammo.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion