Import verification regarding night vision

:

Newbie Tank

Old August 5th, 2010, 21:07   #1
Assault Pioneer
formerly haakon45

Import verification regarding night vision

hey there. looking at buying an AN/PVS-2 gen1 vietnam era NV scope

why? because it's hilariously huge and reminds me of the funny scope the sniper has in team fortress 2.

I'ts for funnies and using on like an overcast day or something I expect it to be worse than camcorder night vision, don't care about functionality or practicality

I want it because it's a huge scope! the fact that it's NV is only a plus, but also why I'm asking about it crossing the border because at one point with was military tech

I found a few on ebay but all from the states, Canadians are allowed to have up to gen 2 NV correct? so this old thing shouldn't be any trouble should it?

Are we allowed to import gen1 night vision rifle scope's?
Are Americans allowed to export old military NV scopes? I heard some russian chick got arrested and accused as a spy for taking some night vision in her luggage into russia from the states just recently, don't want to cause an international here so I'm asking you guy's

am I all clear?

if not can (or regardless if I can would prefer local, Canada being local) anyone point me in the direction of one (or other hilariously huge scope) already in canada?

thanks
A-P
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Don't take weapons training from a book. It ranks right up there with people who think they know guns from watching a Chris Costa video.

Last edited by Assault Pioneer; August 5th, 2010 at 23:22..
Assault Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 22:34   #2
Danke

Why not just buy one on here? There's a Gen 1 up for sale right now and some pretty nice stuff passes through here once in a blue moon.
Old August 5th, 2010, 22:45   #3
Canadian Psycho
Personal Mule.....PM for rates!

Send a message via MSN to Canadian Psycho
I believe that military style NV is prohibited for export by ITAR (US export laws) the same as firearm parts over $100, military optics (aimpoint, eotec, etc.) you will have to read up on export laws from the US, I don't think you would have any problems with Canada customs, just export
Old August 5th, 2010, 22:50   #4
Assault Pioneer
formerly haakon45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
Why not just buy one on here? There's a Gen 1 up for sale right now and some pretty nice stuff passes through here once in a blue moon.
the AN/PVS-2 is eighteen inches long and weigh's 7 pounds, it's like a cartoon gun attachment

thats why I want it.

there are no AN/PVS scope's in the classified's the only gen1 NV scope is a shitty Yukon, not nearly as hilarious because it's a normal looking scope (not ridiciously big) and it's shitty on top of that.

Like I said if anyone can point me to a AN/PVS in canada or one of equal dimension's please do.

I'm not looking for any old Gen1 if I was going to just get a NV scope because of it's NV capability I'd buy a top of the line unit and not even waste my time with Gen1 night vision.

I'm looking at this because of it's sheer laughable size, not because it's night vision or Gen1 or what it's capabilities are, like I said, don't care about functionality or practicality and I can't seem to find any in Canada so I looked abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
I believe that military style NV is prohibited for export by ITAR (US export laws) the same as firearm parts over $100, military optics (aimpoint, eotec, etc.) you will have to read up on export laws from the US, I don't think you would have any problems with Canada customs, just export
Ive read up on ITAR and it's only given me a headache, just a bunch of crap explaining what it is, no list of can's and cannot's for export like our's has written down,

EDIT, just found more about NV on ITAR, it spoke of gen3 and gen2 require's export permit (AKA you'll never get one) but it doesn't even mention anything about gen1, it just goes to thermal/flir
Quote:
Don't take weapons training from a book. It ranks right up there with people who think they know guns from watching a Chris Costa video.

Last edited by Assault Pioneer; August 5th, 2010 at 22:59..
Old August 5th, 2010, 22:52   #5
Spawn28
I am manly hear me squeek

Send a message via MSN to Spawn28
Build one?
Old August 5th, 2010, 22:53   #6
AS92-RD

That guy in the picture has got some shitty trigger discipline.
AS92-RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 22:56   #7
Assault Pioneer
formerly haakon45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn28 View Post
Build one?
nah when you can get the real deal functional for like $250, building one it would still come out looking cheap and fake, sourcing an Objective lense with a huge diameter would be a pain too
Quote:
Old August 5th, 2010, 23:12   #8
Kid

Damn that's huge.

I hope you've got a quality metal body or you'll end up breaking your reciever with the added load.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 23:53   #9
mcguyver

There was a real vintage one for sale on CGN along with an M16A1 (yes, full auto prohibited) and I think it in the $2500 range (but $12,000 for the gun).

Try the Canadian NV retailers and see what they have, Sometimes a repro using Russian tubes or perhaps a rebuilt unit. Importing should be the last resort. I would suspect that even a Gen 1 would be stopped and refused export, based on fear or ignorance of the U.S. Customs officer who has it land on his desk.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 01:02   #10
Assault Pioneer
formerly haakon45

I dont have access to the EE section of CGN

$2500?! jesus christ don't tell me NV inflate's like airsoft gun's this side of the border I've been seeing them (functional great condition even with accessories) from $200 to $450
Quote:
Old August 6th, 2010, 02:09   #11
Dirtbag

No go

It should be ok because it is Gen 1, but it will not pass US customs. No legit dealer will ship those to Canada. All current Gen 1 and most Gen 2 are Eastern European made, so GEN 1 are ok. Gen 2 used to be but new rules make them no go too.

You might be able to get some one to send one to a gun shop that has an export license for scopes etc.

The other thing to consider is that a lot of those units have very old tubes basically at end of life. You want to get a Morovision or Israeli rebuild, also try the euro ebay might find one there.
Dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 15:23   #12
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

got that beat, get an NSPU! seen them go for about $300

Old August 6th, 2010, 15:30   #13
Assault Pioneer
formerly haakon45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
It should be ok because it is Gen 1, but it will not pass US customs. No legit dealer will ship those to Canada. All current Gen 1 and most Gen 2 are Eastern European made, so GEN 1 are ok. Gen 2 used to be but new rules make them no go too.

You might be able to get some one to send one to a gun shop that has an export license for scopes etc.

The other thing to consider is that a lot of those units have very old tubes basically at end of life. You want to get a Morovision or Israeli rebuild, also try the euro ebay might find one there.
I found one in Finland, so it would be ok for me to order from europe mostly? I don't have anyone who has a gunshop who can do that for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusangani View Post
got that beat, get an NSPU! seen them go for about $300

It doesn't have a big diameter, it's just tall, it's objective lense isn't that big either, and it doesn't look like it can mount to a 20mm rail. their hilarious, not not as hilarious as an PVS-2, just because you'd expect russian tech to be that big.
Quote:

Last edited by Assault Pioneer; August 6th, 2010 at 15:32..
Old August 6th, 2010, 15:47   #14
Spawn28
I am manly hear me squeek

Send a message via MSN to Spawn28
That scope Pus looks like a modified MAG Light....lol
Old August 6th, 2010, 15:57   #15
Strelok

You should see em when they're installed on AKS74U's.
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank