Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Halp! Looking for a back up primary

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old June 14th, 2016, 14:48   #1
Showe22

Halp! Looking for a back up primary

I am trying to find a back up primary for when my 416 goes down because, inevitably, all guns break at some point. My budget would be max $1000

I enjoy being a special snowflake kind of person. I like something visually different, such as the 416 over an M4. In the past, I've owned an MP5, M14, M16, 417, M27 and a few M4 styles.

Here's what I'm looking for in a new gun:
- fairly reliable
- access to parts when it breaks
- AEG
- DMR platform*
- higher quality such as VFC, KWA, Krytac etc.
- mosfet*

*these are not deal breakers, but certainly influences my choice.

In my research, I've looked into three rifles.

1. Krytac LVOA
I like the externals, and I love the RIS length. It definitely suits my DMR obsession. My 416 will outshoot the Krytac, but thats ok with me. It would be a back up.

I've heard this gun can be tough to fix, or hard to find parts for. I can't verify that information myself. If anyone else can, I'd appreciate the help.

2. Umarex HK 417
I would be looking for the umarex version, and not the chinese clone. This would cost roughly the same as a Krytac LVOA. I've had the 417 before but regret selling it. I've got two mags for it sitting in my mag bin. Again, I love the DMR platform.

I've heard that the gearbox can crack easily. Since the gearbox is specific to the 417, it would be hard to find a replacement.

3. Elite Force/Umarex G28 special edition
This is the limit of my budget, and the only reason I'm willing to spend over a grand. I've heard it has a reinforced gearbox, rendering one of the bigger issues in the 417 null. The special edition includes all the pretty accessories, but my attention is caught by the upgraded internals (7 metal teeth on the piston, tienly motor, etc.)

Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear! If any of my information is wrong, let me know with some sort of reference I can look up.
Showe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 15:58   #2
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

If you've got $1,000 to blow, pick up a brand new VFC platform you like from one of our better priced/reliable Canadian retailers and then customize it out. Build it exactly how you want it.
Old June 14th, 2016, 16:00   #3
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Yeah, 1K is a deep budget.

"Back Up" is usually just a cheap beater gun like a CYMA AK.

Get whatever you want lol.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 16:05   #4
Showe22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
If you've got $1,000 to blow, pick up a brand new VFC platform you like from one of our better priced/reliable Canadian retailers and then customize it out. Build it exactly how you want it.
With the 417, can I put a new gearbox in that isn't the stock proprietary one? I wouldnt imagine I can, but I could be wrong.
Old June 14th, 2016, 16:12   #5
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showe22 View Post
With the 417, can I put a new gearbox in that isn't the stock proprietary one? I wouldnt imagine I can, but I could be wrong.
No you can't but I'm currently running one with the stock shell and spring and lonex and shs parts throughout works like a charm and (ewww) evoke has replacement shells for 40 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 16:32   #6
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

It's a cool gun, but personally I wouldn't buy it just on that alone. There's got to be other platforms that fit the standard V2 or V3 style, etc. Maybe a SCAR or something? There's so many options, I'm sure you can get something that'll make you happy.
Old June 14th, 2016, 17:06   #7
Showe22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
It's a cool gun, but personally I wouldn't buy it just on that alone.
Are you referring to the 417? I wish I were a scar person. I've heard it can be finicky of the wires are run through the folding stock. I've considered the ACW but again, iffy to work with when it goes down.
Old June 14th, 2016, 18:43   #8
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Just get another 416, and get a real steel rail and put all the RS shit on it

Tm Vsr10?
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 19:34   #9
Kungpow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showe22 View Post
I am trying to find a back up primary for when my 416 goes down because, inevitably, all guns break at some point. My budget would be max $1000

I enjoy being a special snowflake kind of person. I like something visually different, such as the 416 over an M4. In the past, I've owned an MP5, M14, M16, 417, M27 and a few M4 styles.

Here's what I'm looking for in a new gun:
- fairly reliable
- access to parts when it breaks
- AEG
- DMR platform*
- higher quality such as VFC, KWA, Krytac etc.
- mosfet*

*these are not deal breakers, but certainly influences my choice.

In my research, I've looked into three rifles.

1. Krytac LVOA
I like the externals, and I love the RIS length. It definitely suits my DMR obsession. My 416 will outshoot the Krytac, but thats ok with me. It would be a back up.

I've heard this gun can be tough to fix, or hard to find parts for. I can't verify that information myself. If anyone else can, I'd appreciate the help.

2. Umarex HK 417
I would be looking for the umarex version, and not the chinese clone. This would cost roughly the same as a Krytac LVOA. I've had the 417 before but regret selling it. I've got two mags for it sitting in my mag bin. Again, I love the DMR platform.

I've heard that the gearbox can crack easily. Since the gearbox is specific to the 417, it would be hard to find a replacement.

3. Elite Force/Umarex G28 special edition
This is the limit of my budget, and the only reason I'm willing to spend over a grand. I've heard it has a reinforced gearbox, rendering one of the bigger issues in the 417 null. The special edition includes all the pretty accessories, but my attention is caught by the upgraded internals (7 metal teeth on the piston, tienly motor, etc.)

Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear! If any of my information is wrong, let me know with some sort of reference I can look up.
Want to try an EBBR?
Maybe a Tippman M4?

TM Glock 18 "Upgraded"

AGM M4A1 GBBR "Upgraded"

King Arms M4A1 GBBR
Kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 20:19   #10
Showe22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
Just get another 416, and get a real steel rail and put all the RS shit on it

Tm Vsr10?
Those are both great options. I would probably just throw a real steel rail on the 416 I have already if I went that route. As for a VSR 10, I used to have one. And loved it. I sold it though, in preference for an AEG
Old June 14th, 2016, 20:20   #11
Showe22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungpow View Post
Want to try an EBBR?
Maybe a Tippman M4?
I'm actually selling a tippmann right now for $700 with a tank and air line. An ebbr would be cool. I'm trying to convince myself I'd like a SCAR H.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion