Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Removing the Saftey Lever on a TM 1911 GBB

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old July 9th, 2007, 19:51   #1
Jerold

Removing the Saftey Lever on a TM 1911 GBB

I'm probably babying it a bit, but how hard do you need to hit the pin on the right side of the gun to get the safety switch to come out? I've been studying the exploded diagram and getting the safety switch out is the key to getting all the other parts off the frame. It looks like it is a single part that runs thru the trigger and the grip safety.

Is there any particular sequence that the lower frame has to be taken apart. I've been reading and it seems to be a fairly simple takedown, but I don't need any surprises and have a spring or something shoot out?

In looking over the diagram of the lower frame. There looks to be a lot of parts, but I'm assuming that a lot of it comes out as 1 or 2 big assemblies once all the strategic pins and screws are removed.

please tell me if I'm wrong about my assumptions.

Thanks for the help!
Jerold
Jerold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 19:56   #2
Amos

You shouldn't have to hit anything, I'm not too familiar with 1911's, but all the pins should push out with pressure.
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 21:26   #3
stokes

The hammer should be down if I remember correctly in order to take out the safety.

You need to take down the part that holds the hammer spring. Its right under the grip safety. Just press in wards on the bottom where the small loop is and tilt the gun it should slide right out or with alittle bit of pressure.
stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:07   #4
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

1. Remove slide
2. Remove main spring housing
3. Ensure hammer is in "cocked" position
4. Push safety all the way up, it should push up higher than normal once the slide is removed and the hammer is cocked
5. At this point, it should just come right out to the left. No hitting is required.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:31   #5
Jerold

Thanks for the info. I've completed the upgrade to the metal kit. I've got a few questions:

1. The slide sticks a bit. When I pull it back it has some resistance right as the blowback mech passes over the hammer and the same on the way forward. I haven't added any lube to the slide rails yet, I just racked the slide back and forth several times to loosen any rough metal bits.
I did notice and am thinking that a bump on the underside of the blowback mechanism is rubbing against the metal right in front of the trigger in the lower frame. If you take off the slide and right behind the plastic part of the blowback, there is a curved metal part that isn't flush with the rest of the blowback mech. It's rounded and shows scrape marks. I'm thinkning about sanding it down a bit. Good Idea or will it screw anything up?

2. I can't seem to get the pin back into the main spring housing. I'll call it a star pin because it has grooves on one side to prevent it from slipping. It came out easily enough. I inserted the smooth side of the pin into the left side and am trying to hammer it in. Should I be putting in the grooved side in the right side and hammering it in that way? How hard should I bang away at this to get it in? Don't want to break it...

I first had 134a gas in the mag, then I put in TOYJACK TOP Gas and it cycled better, but sometimes slide maybe a 1/2" from fully forward and I have to push it ahead with my thumb.

Thanks,
Jerold

Last edited by Jerold; July 10th, 2007 at 09:49.. Reason: More info.
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:50   #6
Jerold

ok. I got the pin in. I found a bigger punch and went ahead and hammered it in. That thing goes in pretty tight. I hope I never have to remove it again.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 14:52   #7
SigmanXT

if someone could help me... i need to tighten the right thumb saftey on my tm meu....its very loose and i wouldnt want to lose it during a game. How exactly do you tighten it?
SigmanXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 15:07   #8
Daiviet
Captain Sunshine

you won't lose it, for it to come out it has to move higher than normal, and the slide blocks it so it should be fine.
Daiviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 15:58   #9
SigmanXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiviet View Post
you won't lose it, for it to come out it has to move higher than normal, and the slide blocks it so it should be fine.
ill take your word for it......so theres no way to make it tighter?
Old April 22nd, 2009, 16:00   #10
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmanXT View Post
ill take your word for it......so theres no way to make it tighter?
By "tighter" do you mean that you want a stronger safety engagement? As in, it takes more force to put the gun into safe and out of safe?

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 16:19   #11
SigmanXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
By "tighter" do you mean that you want a stronger safety engagement? As in, it takes more force to put the gun into safe and out of safe?
not exactly although i like the idea....its just very loose(wobble) its anoying thats all.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 18:45   #12
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Replace it with an aftermarket one. Yours is probably worn.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 20:42   #13
Kuro_Neko

Send a message via ICQ to Kuro_Neko Send a message via AIM to Kuro_Neko Send a message via MSN to Kuro_Neko Send a message via Yahoo to Kuro_Neko
This is somewhat off-topic but I have a KJW m1911a1 and it's got the thumb safety only on the left. Is there any easy way to either move that to the right side or make it an ambi safety? It's quite possibly the most comfortable safety I'd ever used, if I was right handed. Unfortunately I'm left-handed.

Thanks,
Kuro_Neko
Kuro_Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 20:45   #14
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

You'd have to buy an ambi safety.

All of the internal control mechanisms are activated on the left side.

An ambi-safety is just an extension that runs through the frame to the right side, which in effect, moves the left side as you toggle it. So ultimately, you will ALWAYS have to have the left side. You can not move it from the left to the right. If yours is designed as a single safety only, then you will need to actually purchase an ambi-safety to get a lever on the right side.
Old September 12th, 2010, 12:36   #15
FACE
a.k.a. Phoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiviet View Post
Sorry forr Necroposting. I was searching for what might be the closest answer to my question and this best describes my problem.

Upon re-assembling my WE1911, the left side safety is alright (albeit a little looser than before) and the right side is falling out all the time. I did notice a little pin that fellout when I removed the safety levers. Is there a spring that goes with this and might you be able to tell me where this pin goes. I'm sure it's related to the safety mechanism.

Thanks.
FACE is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications