Boafeng Radios?

:

Accessories Discussion

Old December 2nd, 2014, 19:10   #16
Chromey
Whiny Attention Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggypoo View Post
I've been browsing DX for a couple days now, and have been wondering how likely an ordered silencer would make it to my mailbox.
At least based on this topic, I think I'll try a Baofeng radio too.

Ive ordered Everything Airsoft, Except the guns from DX, And Everything came in, Including 2 silencers.
Ive been Buying from DX for 4 years now, And Except for a few back order products, Ive always got what I paid for, Including thing that should have cost a lot more then what I paid.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 19:22   #17
siggypoo

That's all I need to read, thanks!

Old December 2nd, 2014, 21:16   #18
grantmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
Hey Grant, what certification should you be looking for on those radios? From what I understand you want to be looking for "Part 90" certification?
I wouldn't bother personally. None of them are "legal" for use on FRS freqs (too much power, detachable antenna, programmable) . It's just that the law is impossible to enforce.
Now transmitting on a licensed freq is a totally different ballgame and could easily lead to enforcement knocking on your door.

As per usual when doing something which is technically not permitted, don't be an idiot.

-Grant
grantmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 15:23   #19
barberouge

Part 90 only apply with the FCC. In Canada to own a programmable radio you need to have a amateur radio certificate ( Ham Operator) and operate it on ham bands. Or you could have a license from Industry Canada.

Being a Ham does not cost a thing and it allow me to use long range communication.
barberouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 08:39   #20
EagleDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
So I saw these on DealExtreme: http://www.dx.com/p/baofeng-1-5-lcd-...9#.VHyY9tLF87l .... And since I only have a couple RadioShack style FRS radios in 'mid-afternoon bright see-across-the-field-blue' color, I'd like something that is a little more reliable that isn't going to break the bank. I have no reason to spend more than $100 on a radio since I don't pretend to be Mr. Military, and I go out to have fun with friends, not impress others with small testes who failed out at life and must be overly-serious in a game where we pretend to be in the army.

So what do you think? Decent little radio? Or could you folks suggest something else that won't break the bank that will still reach from one side of an average field to the other?

Thanks gents and ladies!
The Baofeng UV-5 series has been pretty reliable for players. The only downside to it is that there is no channel changing knob. So if you are in a game where you might have to change frequencies you have to take it out of the pouch, use the up/down channel buttons, and put it back in the pouch.

The Boafeng UV-B5 (mentioned earlier) uses a similar radio inside but has a channel changing knob. Both are in the $40 to $50 range.

The Puxing PX-888 range have a channel changing knob and is by far the most popular radio for airsoft/MILSIM. At Berget they outfit all of the staff and command (Btn, Platoon, etc.) with the PX-888 or the PX-888K. Those get trashed in the field and keep going. By the way the PX-888 only has a Li-Ion battery. No NiMh. The PX-888K is dual band UHF/VHF but not sure what you need in Japan. They cost in the $70 range.

The Wouxun radios are a step up from the Puxings but are also more expensive. They have radios certified for business use here in the US (Part 90) which is the KG-UVD1P, KG-UV6D, and the KG-UV8D. These are all dual band UHF/VHF radios and run $90 up to $150.

Wouxun also offers a 16 channel KG-UV833 which is certified for GMRS in the UHF only configuration. It runs about $70.

The bottom line is that the Baofeng you mentioned is a good radio for airsoft/MILSIM use.

All of the above mentioned radios use the two pin Kenwood accessory plug for hand mics, headsets, and programming cables.

As for programming cables there are a number of issues getting the USB programming cables to work. The USB cable actually has a USB to Serial adapter within the cable. I recommend buying a specific USB to serial adapter and then the $10 serial programming cable.

ONLY THIS ONE:

http://www.tripplite.com/high-speed-...yspan~USA19HS/

It runs about $20 to $30 USD.

If you don't want a programming cable, programming by keypad is not bad if you take about 1/2 hour to sit down and figure it out. I even wrote up a Puxing programming guide and posted it here on ASC.
EagleDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 15:24   #21
grantmac

The rotary dial combined with voice prompts on the UV-b5 is a VERY nice feature when dealing with a few different freqs.
I just wish you could have a mode where only the primary or only the secondary was changed when in dual monitor. As it is if you are dual monitoring then it changes which ever it's currently on which can be a bit of a pain.

-Grant
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:04   #22
JosephSSmith

I bought this UV5R radio seeing several reviews, most good. I realized that on average it had to be worth the try. its good points are Receive sensitivity is fantastic, Good audio from the tiny speaker, Battery life is truly great, Very small and compact - fits into the smallest pocket.

Last edited by JosephSSmith; December 16th, 2014 at 02:11..
JosephSSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:46   #23
siggypoo

Boafeng Radios?

I've looked around through this topic, and searched for info on ASC, but I can't find a definitive answer; what are the most popular or common freqs used within airsoft? I know SFA about these radios.
I ask because I've been eyeballing a single band Baofeng BF-K5 that runs UHF in the 400-470mhz range. It has a channel selection knob, external mic/spkr connector, and a Li-Ion battery.
At $19, would it be a worthwhile purchase for use in a game?

Last edited by siggypoo; December 17th, 2014 at 10:48..
siggypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 13:16   #24
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the freqs used are the ones used by the blister pack FRS/GRMS radios... anything outside that range is governed by licenses, so unless you have a HAMM certificate, you shouldn't be outside FRS freqs... they're listed somewhere.
Old December 17th, 2014, 15:31   #25
FirestormX

Located here: http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=163816

Great thread.
FirestormX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 16:15   #26
siggypoo

Boafeng Radios?

Thank ya kindly. I'll study that topic carefully.
Suffice to say, my guess is this BF-K5 wouldn't be what I need for gaming.

Edit: My mistake, it looks like the radio I'm lookin at does indeed fit within the parameters. Yay, current bid isn't even $2, lol!

Last edited by siggypoo; December 17th, 2014 at 16:23..
Old December 17th, 2014, 16:32   #27
Danke

What's the freight charge?
Old December 17th, 2014, 18:03   #28
siggypoo

The auction states free shipping, w00t!

Old December 17th, 2014, 21:51   #29
grantmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggypoo View Post
Thank ya kindly. I'll study that topic carefully.
Suffice to say, my guess is this BF-K5 wouldn't be what I need for gaming.

Edit: My mistake, it looks like the radio I'm lookin at does indeed fit within the parameters. Yay, current bid isn't even $2, lol!
Unless they are willing to program it for you then it won't work. You will need the $15 cable to correctly input the FRS/GMRS frequencies.

Seriously, spend the $40 and get the UV-B5.

-Grant
Old December 17th, 2014, 22:58   #30
siggypoo

Boafeng Radios?

I'm also have the highest bid on a UV-5RE, so maybe I'll win that. As for the cable, that's the USB cable that has the mic and spkr plugs on the end? Got it.

Seriously...

Last edited by siggypoo; December 17th, 2014 at 23:02..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion