Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

World's Most Dangerous Battery!

:

Accessories Discussion

Old March 18th, 2009, 02:10   #1
jaymz1911

Send a message via MSN to jaymz1911
Exclamation World's Most Dangerous Battery!

The LiPo is an extremely hazardous battery if mishandled. Watch what happens when I overcharge one at the end! Please pay attention to the warnings for this type of battery!

YouTube - World's Most Dangerous Battery!
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:17   #2
Brodie_BHD

Haha wow! Imagine having on of those babies go off like that in your gun
Brodie_BHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:18   #3
KND
* AV revoked *

It's not new man. There are about 200 case in the world regard to the misuse of lipo which is most of them are dam ass are overcharge it than 1 c and use the charger to charge the battery which is not design for lipo to take the video and post on youtube to scare the shit out of people.

I've been using Lipo battery almost 6 months since I found that they have a lots of advantage than Nicad-Mimh which need just a little bit taking care. I never seen any airsofter explode on of those Lipo battery in their gun yet except you do one.

KND

Last edited by KND; March 18th, 2009 at 02:21..
KND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:21   #4
LUTNIT

There are hundreds of these videos on youtube and they are all the same. Wanna see a NiMh split its cells open and leak chemicals? I can do that, only difference is it doesn't react with the moisture in the air so violently. It is also far from the worlds most dangerous battery, worlds most dangerous consumer battery probably.

If it wasn't safe, why do almost all modern PDA's and cell phones use them?

If you are retarded, don't use LiPo, simple as that. Don't bash them around, don't puncture them, don't try to quick charge them, and use a voltage cut off circuit. Don't charge above 1C, if you don't know what 1C is, you are battery retarded and shouldn't use LiPo's.
LUTNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:27   #5
Marriott

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUTNIT View Post
If it wasn't safe, why do almost all modern PDA's and cell phones use them?
I thoguht most Laptops, PDA's, cell phones used Lithium Ion? Not Lithium Polymer? Or do they react similer with the Lithium element?
Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:36   #6
Jimski

burn baby burn!
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:56   #7
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marriott View Post
I thoguht most Laptops, PDA's, cell phones used Lithium Ion? Not Lithium Polymer? Or do they react similer with the Lithium element?
Electronic devices do indeed use Lithium Ion batteries, which are similar, and produce the same results if heated or overcharged: a couple of years ago there was a case in China where a welder was killed when his Motorolla phone exploded due to heat (it exploded with enough force to prove fatal at point blank range).

Also, for those not as amazingly smart or 1337 as LUNIT (way to be helpful, Condescending Charlie), a 1C charge rate equals the LiPo's capacity, i.e., if you have a 2000mAh LiPo pack, do not charge it at more than 2000milliamps, or 2 Amps. (charging in Amps and the battery being rated in Amp-hours, we can calculate the charge time will take about 1 hour). Always use a proper charger for LiPos, read and follow the battery and charger's directions carefully (see above video as to why), and never leave it unattended.

Also never short a LiPo and be extremely careful that it's shell does not get punctured (that means don't store a LiPo in a soft battery bag on the side of your gun).
Old March 18th, 2009, 09:35   #8
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Electronic devices do indeed use Lithium Ion batteries, which are similar, and produce the same results if heated or overcharged: a couple of years ago there was a case in China where a welder was killed when his Motorolla phone exploded due to heat (it exploded with enough force to prove fatal at point blank range).

Also, for those not as amazingly smart or 1337 as LUNIT (way to be helpful, Condescending Charlie), a 1C charge rate equals the LiPo's capacity, i.e., if you have a 2000mAh LiPo pack, do not charge it at more than 2000milliamps, or 2 Amps. (charging in Amps and the battery being rated in Amp-hours, we can calculate the charge time will take about 1 hour). Always use a proper charger for LiPos, read and follow the battery and charger's directions carefully (see above video as to why), and never leave it unattended.

Also never short a LiPo and be extremely careful that it's shell does not get punctured (that means don't store a LiPo in a soft battery bag on the side of your gun).
Good advice. A lot of RC flyers use them in their airplanes because of the high power-to-weight ratio of a LiPo pack, but I'm still running NiMahs. I've seen enough planes burst into flames because of a punchured LiPo pack due to a crash that otherwise would have left the airframe and a majority of the expensive equipment salvageable.

LiPos are like any other dangerous device. Handle them properly and you won't have an issue... and DON'T BUY CHEAP LIPOS!

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 09:58   #9
ShelledPants

All I got from that video was that human error on the user's end is the cause of most lipo battery failures. Of course the battery is going to explode if you charge it with the wrong charger. Of course it's going to fail if you puncture it. I hear cars do the same shit when you put the wrong fuel in them, or when you crash them and then don't have a checkup, or if you buy a lemon from China.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:53   #10
LUTNIT

[rant]
My "helpful" hint talking about 1C but not explaining it is because so many people on this forum are so incredibly ignorant. Many times people have claimed they read all the battery information they can find and still don't know what 1C means. There is a huge post by Kos-Mos about batteries where I believe he explains C ratings SEVERAL times and everyone who claims to have read it still doesn't understand it. A simple google search that takes 5 minutes will explain it but people "search for hours" and find nothing. I have spoon fed enough people here on ASC battery information to have them turn around and tell me "my cousins girlfriends room mate says your wrong, and I believe them" that I just don't give a shit anymore.
[/rant]

Most laptops use LiIo but all recent Sony cell phones and Blackberry's I have seen use 3.7V LiPo batteries. Single cell LiPo aren't as dangerous as they don't need a balancer as there is only one cell. There was also the huge thing about DELL and Apple laptops exploding because of the faulty Sony LiIo cells in the batteries. Lithium is near the bottom of the left hand most column on the periodic table, meaning it is very reactive. The elements above it violently react (explode or burst into flames) when dropped in water, Lithium is so reactive the moisture in the air is enough to make it burst into flames. LiIo batteries will still explode if heated but I believe it is slightly more stable so they don't explode when punctured, or at least not as violently, but they do have the potential.

*Edit*
Oh yeah, and don't forget, the battery exploding is one danger but the smoke from the flames is HIGHLY toxic, it alone can kill you in a confined space. LiPo sack/bag or metal box wont help with that. And yes I use LiPo's in my guns.

Last edited by LUTNIT; March 18th, 2009 at 12:56..
LUTNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:58   #11
Skladfin

overexaggerated
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 13:00   #12
huang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz1911 View Post
The LiPo is an extremely hazardous battery if mishandled. Watch what happens when I overcharge one at the end! Please pay attention to the warnings for this type of battery!

YouTube - World's Most Dangerous Battery!
Thatt's why a BALANCER( prevents over-charging) is recommanded.
huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 13:49   #13
m102404
Tys

It's lunch time and I'm bored....so here's my brain dump on LiPo batteries. I hope it's all correct (or at least correct enough for the layman...I'm not a chemistry/electrical engineer).

LiPo's are just another part/piece of an AEG. Any part will fail if not setup and used correctly. Some will fail catastrophically, others will just quietly give out. LiPo has a bad stigma attached to it. That comes from directly from the "user base". Lots of people don't know much about "regular" batteries...but don't really care if they mis-treat them because they won't burn down their house (they may leave a nasty mess to clean up off the workbench ...but they won't burst into flames and gas you to death).

So combine the un-informed with rumours and you get a bad rap for something that works great (at least from what I've seen).

You do need to:
1. Pay attention to your batteries while they're charging. This is not hard and doesn't ruin your whole evening...but it's still more than what some people are prepared to do.
2. Take care with handling your batteries. I'm really horrid with this. ALL of my NiCad/NiMh battery wrappers are near totaled from ripping them out and shoving them in AEGs....I toss them into storage boxes, gear bags and whatever without a care in the world. From what I've gathered, LiPo packaging is soft and keeps the "bad stuff" from getting out...so I take care with mine and they're pristine (they're only 2 weeks old ....so we'll see).
3. Use a good charger, either a balancing circuit or a charger that has one in it, don't charge at more than 1C (as said, divide your mAh rating by 1000...so a 1100mAh pack's 1C rating is 1.1A)...you won't hurt anything by charging at a lower rate. I used to swear by the "dummy's" smart charger...green=good, red=charging, low setting for minis, high setting for larges...but honestly, it took about 10min to figure out my new charger and now all I do is set the capacity and battery type (2 buttons, 2-3 button pushes) and it beeps annoyingly when it's done.
4. Check your battery's voltage before a game (to make sure you didn't grab the dead one), perhaps during a break and after the game. Get into habit of topping off your LiPo before a game and it'll probably remove part of this. I bought a little display that plugs into the balancing tap to check the individual cell voltage and the total pack voltage...takes about 10sec and cost about $20 from a hobby store. Even my little LiPo will shoot several thousands of rounds without the voltage dropping anywhere close to the "flat-line" of 3v per cell....so getting through an all-day game should be a non-issue.
5. At more than 9.6v (my LiPo's are 11.1v)...I'm running a MOSFET to reduce the voltage going through the AEG switch assembly. I've fixed more than enough stuff and seen plenty of burned out switches.
6. Somewhat unlike "regular" batteries...you need to take care with the C rating of a given LiPo pack. Two packs can look the same, both be 11.1v but they'll behave dramatically different if one has a 15C rating and the other is a 25C rating. I'm not sure if the mAh rating is directly tied to the C rating....but I do know that you need a very precise and excellent setup to run a 25-30C LiPo!

7. There are two common measurements (i.e. the numbers are often displayed on the pack for dummies like me)...burst and continuous rating. A LiPo packs burst rate is quite often much higher than it's continous rating...which makes sense. A given packs C rating (i.e. 12C or 20C) can give you a good indication of how good or bad it's going to be in your AEG. My LiPo is a 11.1V 1100mAh 15C battery. Now a 9.6v 1400mAh mini (2/3A cell) battery works pretty good in it. A large 8.4v 3200mAh (sub-c) works really nice in it. So initially you'd think that "OMG...11.1V is going to shred your mechbox...". But not really. Or maybe you'd think, "So what...the 1400mAh or 3200mAh batteries have more capacity and they'll be better"...well, sort of, but not really. Then you're left with this C rating for the LiPo. 15C means that it can put out 15 x it's 1C rating (even I got that). The 1C rating of this pack is 1.1A...so this pack can put out 16.5A (probably it's burst rating...this pack doesn't have the burst/cont ratings marked on it). I suspect that my motor and setup can draw closer to 20A...so even with a scary LiPo (oooh, ahhh) and 11.1v (oh no!)...it performs about the same as the 9.6v 1400mAh mini or a freshly charged 8.4v 3200mAh large battery (give or take 10rpm). I'm pretty sure the 9.6V large nicad get's the mechbox going faster than with the LiPo...it's in a different AEG and I haven't tried it.

But...hook up a 11.1v 2200 25C LiPo to the same setup....and the ROF hits the roof and you have to do a full reset of your Trigger Master MOSFET (which got confused switching between such different batteries, but survived and ran like a champ after a complete reset).

Anyways...lunch it over, got to go.

Tys

Last edited by m102404; March 18th, 2009 at 13:55..
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 14:56   #14
Ronan
Official Crybaby Chairsofter

I used a lipo in my PTW. Get a proper charger, don't be a idiot with it, don't abuse it and everything will be fine. I never had problems with mine.
Ronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 15:03   #15
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
I have a lipo in my Bluetooth headset. Charge lasts 3 weeks.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion