Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Why Do I "Need" Boots

:

Newbie Tank

Old March 24th, 2010, 18:00   #16
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Boots often have better treads, they provide much better ankle support, they are often waterproof............ one local place here has a 10ft high shale rock cliff to climb up/down in a certain area, sure you could walk around but this area is open and for about 300ft is thick brush with a higher grade to climb............. what would you rather wear, shoes or a good pair of lug soled boots?
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 18:05   #17
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairu View Post
is that really necessary, cause I run through forests and hike
and stuff like that a lot
and my merrel shoes have worked for all of that dont see why I need boots
ok. on a real pc now.

running in the forest and hiking are typically in a forward direction with your eyes on the path or trail that you are following.

playing airsoft requires you to move in all directions and at times it would be a sudden change of direction. PLUS, your eyes are going to be on your target or through your scope/sights and not in front of you.

if you tell me that you can scan your path/feet, sight your scope and not trip, stumble or step awkwardly all day, more power to you, but I want to be your opfor!

you might not like wearing boots but it just takes some time adjusting. I never use to wear boots and only owned one pair of doc martins for many years that I got as a present when in high school. I even wore (destroyed) many pairs of sneakers in the winter because I simply didn't want to or like to wear boots. I currently own and regularly wear 5 pairs of boots. go figure! I got use to wearing them and now wear them daily.

for fields like flag raiders, there's areas that are cleared and there are areas that have dead fall. there are also lots of ruts and gopher holes all over the place for you to step into and twist your ankle. it's not going to be fun for the people playing with you to nurse you and help you out. (as I said before, we'll still do it but...)

my first pair of "airsoft" boots ended up being a pair of hiking boots. not extremely tall or uncomfortable but plenty of support that I can't roll an ankle without significant effort. it would take me falling and twisting it plus someone else falling on it. they were cheap from Mark's work wear house.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 18:10   #18
Silent_Angel

Send a message via MSN to Silent_Angel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairu View Post
(I was also gonna start a thread about goggles and the like but I figured my V-force profiler mask from paintball would work)
Unless those goggles are ANSI Z87.1-2003+ or MIL-V-43511C (the shotgun blast) rated I wouldn't trust it to protect your eyes, they may take the hit, but good chance that it will splinter a piece of the lense off and nail you in the eye. Its your eyes we are talking about, spend an approperiate amount of money to protect it.
Silent_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 18:15   #19
Renegade)
A Total Bastard

Ankles are one of the worst injuries to fully recover from, take the advice, if you like the ability to you know, walk? run? not hobble around like an 80 year old, wear boots.
Old March 24th, 2010, 18:23   #20
Rugger_can

same reason why military's don't field soldiers wearing penny loafers. Boots provide the proper support, grip, and protection from the terrain. Simply put "it's safety".

In any case, they are much more comfortable after a long day if you are wearing the right boots. Not only that but shoes (even high quality hiking shoes) are expensive to replace considering the terrain most fields are on will chew right threw them or outright destroy them.
Rugger_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 20:19   #21
L473ncy

Indoor I could see proper shoes or those hiker/cross trainer things but outdoors I wouldn't trust anything without ankle support.

Take the advice from a boarder and former skier. Ankle injuries suck (especially for skiers). My mom twisted/broke her ankle once and was out for the remainder of the season AND had to do this physio stuff, not cool.

PS: That mask is likely fine. In fact probably good to have since if you're playing at a paintball field the insurance will usually stipulate ASTM approved goggles (paintball certification) and even though you may have Oakleys or ESS goggles that can survive a blast from a .50 cal it's still not ASTM approved and as such if a claim goes through the insurance company will deny it on the technicality (they don't want to pay out money so will try to find anything and everything you've done wrong).
Old March 24th, 2010, 20:44   #22
kalnaren

This is NO exaggeration.

With the exception of 1 or 2 games, EVERY airsoft game I've been to where the host didn't expressly state you had to have boots, I've seen someone either spain or roll an ankle.

No joke.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 20:46   #23
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Guess it's like "Why was I born with ass muscles when my arsehole poins downward no matter what I sit on?" Well, first of all, you aren't a frog or an old man, or a young guy with frog-ass), second, it helps you sit on the can longer while taking a dump. Anymore questions?
Old March 24th, 2010, 20:49   #24
Rugger_can

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
This is NO exaggeration.

With the exception of 1 or 2 games, EVERY airsoft game I've been to where the host didn't expressly state you had to have boots, I've seen someone either spain or roll an ankle.

No joke.
You obviously where not at OPCT2. I saw 3 twisted ankles there, one was pretty bad.

Just because its not required doesnt mean its not a good idea. Im not required to wear a winter jacket outside in a blizzard, but its probably a damn good idea.
Rugger_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 20:49   #25
Hades

Send a message via MSN to Hades
I agree!! I always have my good long thinking shits while sitting on the can and wearing a good sturdy pair of boots.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 21:07   #26
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
I agree!! I always have my good long thinking shits while sitting on the can and wearing a good sturdy pair of boots.
And a good peice of hardwood between your teeth to bite down on, just in case of the usual long consonent "Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!" apprears.
Old March 24th, 2010, 21:15   #27
Hades

Send a message via MSN to Hades
And a good roll of Sandy to wipe with afterwards

YouTube- Chaser's WOE S1: Sandy Dunny Paper

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 21:45   #28
Mr. G36!

Location: Beautiful Thunder Bay, where dreams become nightmares!
You don't "need" boots; you need grip and ankle support. Boots just happen to offer both if you've got a good pair. You can get away with wearing hikers or whatever, but if you're out in the woods with your No Rules skate boarding shoes, your feet are gonna be some kind of pissed at you for it.
Old March 24th, 2010, 21:45   #29
Hairu

Thank you for your responses I will get myself some boots I really just didn't think they were necessary because I felt Hiking shoes would be a lot better than Nike or some other running shoes, which of course they would be but I think the best point raised was they are expensive to replace and boots'll last better
(and theres the whole ankle thing too)
Hairu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 22:48   #30
JTF27

Send a message via MSN to JTF27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Totally Sig'd.
JTF27 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank