Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

G&G TR4-18 or?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old January 6th, 2021, 19:51   #1
Greenkrest

G&G TR4-18 or?

Hi guys,
I've been recently looking at getting a 416 or variant and was wondering how the tr4-18 holds up compared to the VFC 416, or 417.
If I did go with the G&G version what would i be looking at upgrade wise off the bat?
Same for the VFC?

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Greenkrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2021, 21:25   #2
ripanu1

Good Day
I owned and ran my own Airsoft shop for 8 years as well as a 160 acre gaming property. I still continue to do tech work for customers/players to this day. I have seen a massive amount of weapons as well as performed a lot of repairs.

I'm not going to go into details about what upgrades you should buy or choose and the such.
That conversation could get lengthy as well lol.

I will say, I have owned both G&G & VFC and also sent thousands of rounds down rage with both models.
All games were outdoors exposed to the elements with both rifles.

They are both dependable. Some fellow players like their VFC's and some players like their G&G's.

Now for My personal experience:

VFC: I ran a VFC 416 I believe in 2012 for 1.5 years. The Game time was every Sunday for a minimum of 6hrs. I also ran it in 2day events and a NSA event. In that time frame I replaced all of the internals. some were upgrades and a few were repairs. It literally broke down within the first month of operation (4 Games). Near the end of it's term the gearbox cracked up around the front of the cylinder. replaced gearbox and sold it.

G&G: I ran the G&G TR4-18 Short for 2.5 years. I ran it hard,after a year of use I had to open it up and clean/shim and replace a piston.
I ran it for the rest of the time trouble free except for the shitty part.
After about 2 years I had a catastrophic failure. In mid game the nose of the gearbox snapped completely around the end of the cylinder only being held in place by the hop-up unit . This failure was due to a poor design in the EBB gearbox design. I replaced the shell and sold it. G&G's "non" EBB gearboxes are far superior than the EBB boxes.

In my onion they all have their quirks and they will all eventually need tech work.

I suggest go with the model that you personally like best and suits your needs and your wallet.
There was my non biased 2 cents worth
Cheers Brother
Rippin out....

Keep Loyal to the game and remember...In battle it is the cowards who run the most risk; bravery is a rampart of defense.
ripanu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2021, 21:49   #3
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist

Yeah. what ripanu1 says. VFC is not what they used to be, their external still look absolutely great, but their internal have gotten so bad its not even funny.

G&G has always been meh, their stuff that uses standard gearboxes without their crappy ETU or other new design crap are better. All their electronics and fancy bells and whistles use the cheapest parts they could find and you pay premium price for that cheap crap. You'd be better off with a standard gun with a good quality mosfet or computerized mosfet unit.

I've heard good things about the E&C HK416s, never used one myself, I'm not an AR guy at all, but it would probably be worth your time to research those before making a decision.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2021, 17:47   #4
Greenkrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripanu1 View Post
Good Day

I owned and ran my own Airsoft shop for 8 years as well as a 160 acre gaming property. I still continue to do tech work for customers/players to this day. I have seen a massive amount of weapons as well as performed a lot of repairs.

I'm not going to go into details about what upgrades you should buy or choose and the such.

That conversation could get lengthy as well lol.

I will say, I have owned both G&G & VFC and also sent thousands of rounds down rage with both models.

All games were outdoors exposed to the elements with both rifles.

They are both dependable. Some fellow players like their VFC's and some players like their G&G's.

Now for My personal experience:

VFC: I ran a VFC 416 I believe in 2012 for 1.5 years. The Game time was every Sunday for a minimum of 6hrs. I also ran it in 2day events and a NSA event. In that time frame I replaced all of the internals. some were upgrades and a few were repairs. It literally broke down within the first month of operation (4 Games). Near the end of it's term the gearbox cracked up around the front of the cylinder. replaced gearbox and sold it.

G&G: I ran the G&G TR4-18 Short for 2.5 years. I ran it hard,after a year of use I had to open it up and clean/shim and replace a piston.

I ran it for the rest of the time trouble free except for the shitty part.

After about 2 years I had a catastrophic failure. In mid game the nose of the gearbox snapped completely around the end of the cylinder only being held in place by the hop-up unit . This failure was due to a poor design in the EBB gearbox design. I replaced the shell and sold it. G&G's "non" EBB gearboxes are far superior than the EBB boxes.

In my onion they all have their quirks and they will all eventually need tech work.

I suggest go with the model that you personally like best and suits your needs and your wallet.

There was my non biased 2 cents worth

Cheers Brother

Rippin out....
I appreciate the feedback! I kinda figured that both would need some type of maintenance after running them hard as you say, more then likely I'll be at some point converting it into a DMR as I won't be using it as my main gun, I was more looking for the info on someone who has used both and, well.....you have answered all my questions so thank you.

Old January 7th, 2021, 17:51   #5
Greenkrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakker View Post
Yeah. what ripanu1 says. VFC is not what they used to be, their external still look absolutely great, but their internal have gotten so bad its not even funny.

G&G has always been meh, their stuff that uses standard gearboxes without their crappy ETU or other new design crap are better. All their electronics and fancy bells and whistles use the cheapest parts they could find and you pay premium price for that cheap crap. You'd be better off with a standard gun with a good quality mosfet or computerized mosfet unit.

I've heard good things about the E&C HK416s, never used one myself, I'm not an AR guy at all, but it would probably be worth your time to research those before making a decision.
I'll have to research the E&C, I haven't really heard anything about them but I'll check it out. If anything I've heard good things about the CA 416 more then anything....im just really hesitant with CA as I have been sucked down the replace this and that right outta the box with them to many times

Old January 7th, 2021, 18:00   #6
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist

I'm not super knowledgeable about CA, I only have one MP5 from them, which is pretty good overall. But lately, their internals have gotten better as far as I know. From what I gather, newer CA guns are generally Ok, they are above average everything, but they are the best at nothing. Still a good package overall, but as I said, I have absolutely no idea about their 416s, and you seem to have a lot more experience with CA guns than me.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2021, 12:51   #7
skalnok

In recent years vfc have vastly improved their internals,especially with their Avalon series of guns which they 416 models now come with Avalon internals.

There is a reason vfc are regarded as some of the best on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakker View Post

skalnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2021, 13:53   #8
ducloop

got a G&G tr4-18, no problems so far, pretty satisfy with it
ducloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2021, 14:02   #9
Koko916

Love my G&G TR4 great gun!!!
Koko916 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion