Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

AirsoftCanada - Move Forward?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old August 4th, 2020, 10:31   #1
Matula
formerly sammer

AirsoftCanada - Move Forward?

It's just me or AirsoftCanada is slowly dying?

The forum has not been updated for a long time. The sale pages are getting less and less visited and there is starting to be more and more confusion between what is for sale and what people want to buy (WTS vs WTB). Worse, I sell more through Reddit than through ASC... I'm not even talking about the provincial channels which have long since been emptied because Facebook in particular has taken over. In short, I ask myself the question without any negative thoughts. Where is airsoftCanada going? Is it possible to have a version 2.0 that includes new players? I would like the discussion to be constructive.

Thank you
Old August 4th, 2020, 19:22   #2
Kungpow

I have certainly noticed that AirsoftCanada has been slowing down.
It seems fewer people have been using it. Including myself...

With local classifieds and other online platforms such as Reddit, it does seem like Airsoft Canada has lost it luster over the years.

TM Glock 18 "Upgraded"

AGM M4A1 GBBR "Upgraded"

King Arms M4A1 GBBR
Kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2020, 21:11   #3
Datawraith

For buy/sell/trade, I like the verification and vetting ASC has here as opposed to the sketchy free-for-all that is Reddit. The serious longtime users here tend to be more mature and experienced with better quality gear and items offered. I can list several users here that I would buy super expensive kit like NODs and such from without worry while I can't say the same for Reddit. Granted, I could probably hit them up on Facebook too and achieve the same result but BST on Facebook is more difficult nowadays due to TOS.

As for games and event postings, yeah, it's pretty much completely migrated over to Facebook as it's a lot more user-friendly, integrated, and easier to manage. You can see exactly when, where, and how many people are going with Facebook events.
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2020, 21:15   #4
gman1211

I've also noted that things have been slowing down.

ACS's barrier to entry has definitely contributed to this - reddit and hopup, even facebook have much easier access to classifieds. Not saying I think it's a good idea to remove the system ACS has, but it might be time to open a discussion about it.

I guess the best question to ask is what does ACS bring the the airsoft community?

It has always had the classifieds - and the safest ones at that. But it's other features have been on a sharp decline.

I see very limited tech information posted, in both people asking questions and people answering them. Tech Tuesday on reddit has been dominating that market pretty heavily.

Game days and club schedules have moved to bigger social media platforms such as facebook and discord. It used to be that every group had a post on ACS with information on their group as to were to contact them and what they were all about (here's mine for reference https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=182563).

Gun reviews have moved mostly to youtube. Proper longform typed out reviews are very uncommon and haven't been seen here for the better part of 5 years. (just as an FYI longform is way better then the "look at my shiney AEG" reviews then we get now)

To sum it up, their just isn't as much relevant content here as there once was. If we want to revitalize the form, we need to improve the content.
gman1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2020, 21:26   #5
Datawraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1211 View Post
I've also noted that things have been slowing down.

ACS's barrier to entry has definitely contributed to this - reddit and hopup, even facebook have much easier access to classifieds. Not saying I think it's a good idea to remove the system ACS has, but it might be time to open a discussion about it.

I guess the best question to ask is what does ACS bring the the airsoft community?

It has always had the classifieds - and the safest ones at that. But it's other features have been on a sharp decline.

I see very limited tech information posted, in both people asking questions and people answering them. Tech Tuesday on reddit has been dominating that market pretty heavily.

Game days and club schedules have moved to bigger social media platforms such as facebook and discord. It used to be that every group had a post on ACS with information on their group as to were to contact them and what they were all about (here's mine for reference https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=182563).

Gun reviews have moved mostly to youtube. Proper longform typed out reviews are very uncommon and haven't been seen here for the better part of 5 years. (just as an FYI longform is way better then the "look at my shiney AEG" reviews then we get now)

To sum it up, their just isn't as much relevant content here as there once was. If we want to revitalize the form, we need to improve the content.
Most of the tech advice and reviews on Reddit/Facebook/Youtube posts are pretty garbage. I'm lucky enough that I've got some very good techs as friends that I can just ask directly but they're constantly bombarded with ridiculously stupid questions from random people on Facebook, Reddit, and sometimes Instagram.

I just see ASC as a very good BST forum now with some quality historical posts. Used that way, I don't think anything really needs to change.
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2020, 18:27   #6
DuffMan

Send a message via ICQ to DuffMan Send a message via MSN to DuffMan
It's a lack of time and availability of the admin/ownership who are really pulled 8 ways with their jobs and whatnot. If we can put together a small team of devs/designers/community managers and a strategy of how to revitalize it, I can bring it up with the owners.

"He resisted. I asked him to comply."
"Telling him to 'eat it, bitch' is not really a request."
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2020, 09:26   #7
Matula
formerly sammer

I totally agree with you! Do a quick SEO of ASC will give you an example of how far it's hard for new players to find us.

Mat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
It's a lack of time and availability of the admin/ownership who are really pulled 8 ways with their jobs and whatnot. If we can put together a small team of devs/designers/community managers and a strategy of how to revitalize it, I can bring it up with the owners.
Old August 31st, 2020, 19:51   #8
iTzUbiquitious

I've been waiting over a year for the age verification process, so yeah no this place is dead.
iTzUbiquitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2020, 20:19   #9
DAVESAGE

At least the bots are alive and well
DAVESAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2020, 12:47   #10
Short Round
Najohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
A bunch of us have been saying this for the last 6-8 years. We discussed it with a few admins wayback, offering support since some of them we know personally, but it seem more of the case of other admins not wanting to give up power, despite not being active.
Old September 1st, 2020, 14:35   #11
Kremator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Round View Post
but it seem more of the case of other admins not wanting to give up power, despite not being active.
I wonder where I have heard that before
Kremator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2020, 15:13   #12
RainyEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Round View Post
A bunch of us have been saying this for the last 6-8 years. We discussed it with a few admins wayback, offering support since some of them we know personally, but it seem more of the case of other admins not wanting to give up power, despite not being active.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremator View Post
I wonder where I have heard that before
My username description is a case in point.

Last edited by RainyEyes; September 1st, 2020 at 15:28..
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2020, 15:32   #13
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyEyes View Post
My username description is a case in point.
Hahahha love it
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2020, 18:09   #14
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist

Doesn't help that Facebook censors links to airsoftcanada.com. You have to mangle the domain name to post links, and tell people to fix it when copy pasting it.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2020, 07:19   #15
hollywood...
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTzUbiquitious View Post
I've been waiting over a year for the age verification process, so yeah no this place is dead.
1 post total and been on the boards for 2 years? how hard are you trying to get AV'd

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion