Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Looking for a good sidearm for a sniper role

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old September 18th, 2012, 00:08   #1
Five_Seven

Looking for a good sidearm for a sniper role

Hey guys, so I've recently gravitated to more of a sniper role, as I love being able to stay hidden and for the most part completely silent, unfortunately I've found myself in a lot of close combat positions where a sidearm must be used, and complete silence would have been great.
I'm fairly new when it comes to handguns, and I currently use a KJ Works M9 Beretta GBB, which I find to be way too loud for the style of game I play. My friend has let me use his TM MK23 which I LOVE, as it is completely silent with a suppressor, and non-blowback slide, but the only thing I'm not a fan of is the fact that it is quite a bit larger than your average handgun, and a bit of a pain to hold and use, and finding a good holster for it was difficult.

Any suggestions on a good Non-Blowback gas gun similar to the TM MK23? Looking for something that has a decent range, but is completely silent with a supressor, and a gun that has a good variety of after market parts when it comes to upgrades. Price is really not a factor for me, so I am open to any options.

Thanks for your time!
Five_Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 00:22   #2
Antikythera

Wait I'm confused. Your username.. I'm so lost.

Edit: Oh you want NBB. Moving along!
Antikythera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 00:29   #3
Kimbo
formerly pivot

The TM MK23 is really what you want.

It's silent,super accurate and the look of someone getting shot from 50 feet away and having no idea where it came from is priceless. Theres no other pistol that will get the job done as silently as it does.

The only bad thing I could possibly say about it is that it is big. Hard Kydex holsters are available from Safariland and G-code and most large frame universal holsters like the Eagle dropleg will work as well. For a while I carried mine around in a MBITER pouch on the side of my vest and it worked quite well.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 00:41   #4
JerryMcGoulBerry

If you ballzy enough, go for a spring shotgun.
JerryMcGoulBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 00:44   #5
Dviper

I carry the M4 baby for my sidearm, lol
Dviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:04   #6
Jaelommiss

I have two sidearms that I rely on, depending on what I feel like that day. I only carry one at a time. Any more would slow me down.

The first, the TM Mk23 with suppressor, is awesome for silent kills when you have not been seen. Hands down the best short-mid rang stealth weapon I've ever seen. Y&P makes a clone of the TM that isn't as good, but it's dirt cheap by comparison. Both use the same mag. The (airsoft) Mk23 falls short in the firepower category, though.

That brings me onto my other sidearm. Once you have been detected and have multiple enemies closing in, there is little point in having a quiet gun. This is when sheer volume of fire starts to be useful. For this purpose I have an MP5A5 with the retractable stock removed. It's not nearly as quiet, but it flings out a LOT more plastic.

The MP5 is taller and slightly longer, although it is easier to find a way to carry it. I use a two point sling to hold it firmly to my lower back, below my water bladder. It's also slightly heavier.

The Mk. 23 is easier to bring up quickly in pinch, but finding an affordable holster for it is a pain. Mags are heavier, but smaller and easier to store than normal MP5 mags. Each Mk23 mag (TM and Y&P) can hold enough gas for 4-5 mags of ammo. You can refill it on the field without needed to drag along a propane canister, but only if field rules allow it.

Keep in mind this is coming from your average rifleman with an M4 and not a sniper. If I wasn't so weak and scrawny, I'd carry both at once. That is just my opinion and what I found works for me. The best thing would be to borrow/rent the guns and test them yourself.

Last edited by Jaelommiss; September 18th, 2012 at 07:12..
Jaelommiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 08:25   #7
MonnoncMaxou

I think the issue here is that you're looking for a silent solution. So far as I've seen the TM Mk23 is the only gas gun that comes close to being silent.

However, there might be a possibility of converting a gun to be silent. I've personally been toying with that idea while using a Soccom Gear Gemtech Oasis as a base. 99$ Airsoft Evike.com- *NEW* SocomGear GemTech Oasis Pistol - YouTube
MonnoncMaxou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:16   #8
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

Don't forget about revolvers. Maybe not the quickest to reload but they're very quiet and very badass.
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 16:43   #9
Five_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antikythera View Post
Wait I'm confused. Your username.. I'm so lost.

Edit: Oh you want NBB. Moving along!
Haha yeah, the Five Seven is by far my favorite hand gun, unfortunately It's blowback so right now I'm sticking with what I need for my current loadout.. Perhaps one day in the future I will have the chance to own one!

Right now I'm definitely leaning towards the TM Mk23, from what I've read it seems like the best option for the type of sidearm I'm looking for.. I love shotguns but for me they're just a pain to carry while using a Sniper, perhaps I'll run with the MK23 when I know I'm still hidden, and carry another small machine pistol or sub if I get into a tight spot.. Hopefully my loadout wont be completely overkill!

Thanks again for the quick responses and help, much appreciated!
Old September 18th, 2012, 16:54   #10
Kos-Mos

Well...

A properly built AEG shooting sub 300 fps is dead silent when used on semi-auto... Not as much as the MK23, but it's cheaper to build, easier to carry around and you can switch to full-auto if needed.

A VERY good option is a MP5K with short mags. It's smaller than the MK23 and when built properly the target won't hear the shot past 20ft. There are also shoulder holsters for this, with an extra strap to hold the barrel tight against your body. That will probably be my choice next spring (I am tweaking my rifle right now and building gillie this winter).
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 17:06   #11
Five_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos-Mos View Post
Well...

A properly built AEG shooting sub 300 fps is dead silent when used on semi-auto... Not as much as the MK23, but it's cheaper to build, easier to carry around and you can switch to full-auto if needed.

A VERY good option is a MP5K with short mags. It's smaller than the MK23 and when built properly the target won't hear the shot past 20ft. There are also shoulder holsters for this, with an extra strap to hold the barrel tight against your body. That will probably be my choice next spring (I am tweaking my rifle right now and building gillie this winter).
I will definitely look into this, it would be nice to have the option of semi or full auto without having to switch weapons, but also remain somewhat quiet..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion