Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

A Beginner's First Post; Advice?

:

Newbie Tank

Old October 12th, 2011, 03:05   #1
Czek

A Beginner's First Post; Advice?

Hey, guys. I'm going to hopefully be getting into airsoft in the very near future. I plan to get a G&G M4 Commando as my first starter gun and throw a G&P 30mm RDS on there. Nothing too fancy for a first gun. I'm curious as to whether there is much airsofting going on in the Okanagan area; between Oliver/Osoyoos to about Vernon? For the record, I'm 19, so we don't have to get into a "get legal and THEN come talk to us", because that isn't a problem. Hopefully I can attend a game and get age verified.

Couple questions:
- Is G&G a good starter airsoft company?
- For the Okanagan (British Columbia) area, should I be looking at tan or OD equipment? (I was leaning towards tan, due to the desert classification.)
- Besides a gun and goggles, what else would I need to play an airsoft game? (I would probably pick up some mag pouches, maybe not a vest quite yet, though I have my eye on one.)
- Any tips for a beginner looking to get into the sport?

Hopefully I can get a response or two on this post. Thanks for reading, guys.

- Czek

Last edited by ex; October 12th, 2011 at 05:52..
Czek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 03:08   #2
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

G&G pretty well the new standard for starting out. Fairly reliable, very compatible with upgrade/replacement parts. It's a good gun to start with.

Things you'll need;
safety glasses (Z87.1+ or higher)
gun
ammo
mags
battery
some kind of LBV
BOOTS

that's about the bare minimum I can think of right now lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 03:13   #3
Czek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
G&G pretty well the new standard for starting out. Fairly reliable, very compatible with upgrade/replacement parts. It's a good gun to start with.

Things you'll need;
safety glasses (Z87.1+ or higher)
gun
ammo
mags
battery
some kind of LBV
BOOTS

that's about the bare minimum I can think of right now lol
Thanks, Thunder. You might know something I can't seem to find on here. With the G&G M4 series, I've heard that the front sight post is extremely difficult to get off of the barrel, and that it's almost impossible to change it? Have you heard anything about this? Because I think it would be handy just to have a railed gasblock or a low-pro gasblock rather than the front sight.
Old October 12th, 2011, 03:32   #4
phloudernow

Send a message via MSN to phloudernow Send a message via Skype™ to phloudernow
Don't know about the fact that the front post is hard to get off, however it might be but nothing in life is a breeze, so with a little effort it should come off, however i think u might want a longer rail system if u take off the front sight, especially if u have a 14.5 inch barrel but thats just my opinion.

I think it looks ugly if you have a 7 inch rail system and a 14.5 inch rail, kinda weird in my opinion and its just my opinion. The front sight gives it a little bulk so it doesn't look too short, I have a thing for bits and pieces on guns to be proportionate
Custom SAI BLU Glock Build (Timberwolf Base)
Custom Zev Noveske Shooting Team Glock 34
Project Guns
Custom Zev Dragonfly G17 (Project) (In progress)
phloudernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 03:44   #5
Czek

I have no problem putting a little elbow grease into it, I just wasn't sure if it was do-able! I'll probably end up getting a flip-up frontsight to take the front sight post's place. I'm not sure though, I like the look of the fixed sights, I just have a weird thing for having to modify everything I touch.
Thanks so far, guys!
Old October 12th, 2011, 04:47   #6
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I think it comes off just like any other front sight, it's only hard to get off if you don't know how to do it lol

tap out the spring pin for the "gas tube" if it has one
tap out the two pins under the front sight
loosen off the set screw underneath (you may have to remove the sling loop first)
remove flash hider
slide off front sight
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:13   #7
SuperCriollo

From what I have heard you would have to get whole nee barrel set in order to install a rail system into it. I heard that from somebody whose been using his G&G M16 for over two years.
On the other hand, why dont you go to a game before jumping into buying an AEG. That way you can :

1. Get to hold lots guns, and see which style you like best. In my experience most if not all airsofters love to show off their babies, and tend to be very friendly and helpfull.

2. You will have a chance to ask around where to buy stuff from. Trust me, that will save you lots of money and will get you much better stuff. Specially when buying guns.

3. Most likely you will get the chance to get AVd.

I wish I had done that when I was a newbie. Instead of bought a cansoft G36 that I ended up hating

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 12:57   #8
phloudernow

Another way to get AVed is if you happen to make a trip down to vancouver, go to Richmond and check out Airsoft Gear, ask for Optix/Julian, He's a great guy and he'll be happy to AV you you can also check out gear and guns while you are there

Currently in Vancouver just for the thanksgiving week haha but be back in Toronto on Sat
Project Guns
Old October 12th, 2011, 13:03   #9
Czek

That's a good idea, Criollo. I've held M4-style airsoft guns in the past, and I've held MP5's and a couple others, but I've always found that the M4 is the best gun for me. It just seems to fit, and its a really versatile and modular gun. I would definitely go to a game to get AV'd and maybe get some names and emails and stuff.
My plan basically with a gun, was to purchase a G&G M4 Commando, and then if I liked airsoft, I'd maybe sell it and get a SRC GEN4 Pro M4 or something. Something reliable and full-metal.
The G&G line on Buyairsoft is really sh*tty isn't it. I've been reading up a little bit, and I heard that there are like, two or three levels of G&G. The ones on Buyairsoft are the lowest, then 007, then it's TopTech or something like that? I really don't know what I'm talking about here.

Any airsofters in the Okanagan?!
Old October 12th, 2011, 13:06   #10
Scouser

in regards to the g&g front sight, cant really remove it, ive got a g&g m4, the sight post is built into the outer barrel, cant remove it :-(
Old October 12th, 2011, 13:12   #11
Ktown Militia

Hey man,
I sent you a reply to your email this morning. As for your questions, here ya go:

1. G&G is a good starter gun
2. Depending which field you play at and time of year, alot of guys favor multicam for the later seasons in kelowna. As for pen, I've read a thread that polled the guys from pac a while ago, I will try to dig it up for you.
3. Already been addressed by other members
4. Read, read, read. Lots of info on here!!! Also, try making it out to a game at the Hardcorps field in pentiction to meet the guys and see what they are using.
Old October 12th, 2011, 13:32   #12
phloudernow

IMO dude don't get the SRC stick with the G&G i think its better than the SRC series, but once u get AVed u won't be limited to what you see on retailer websites,
Project Guns
Old October 12th, 2011, 13:40   #13
Czek

This has been really helpful. I can't wait to get AV'd so I can really get into this. I have heard about the Hardcorps field but I have never actually seen it. Isn't it on the way out to Apex in the res? Does anybody know the names of anybody in Penticton that plays at the Hardcorps field? I will try to PM them.
Old October 12th, 2011, 15:48   #14
Krooger

I recently bought g&g m4 commando MAX and so far it's really great. It is almost exactly like the regular version so i assume the front sight is the same. I want to remove it to but it isn't made to be easily removed. I haven't looked to close and i don't have it with me right now but it appears as if you can knock out a few pins and it can come off. I'll take a closer look when I get home.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk
Krooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 16:10   #15
kennysteez

to change the site on any g&g m4 series you have to knock the front pins out. under the sling mount is a little hex grub screw you have to take out then the front site will just slide off ( you will have to knock the pin out of the sling mount to get to the grub screw tho be careful )

you'd like that thing to be kind of cool like a bullpup, but you haven't figured out why exactly.
I suggest you get an airsoft tank.A bullpup airsoft tank. -jimski
kennysteez is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank