Mouthguard for braces!!!

:

Gear Discussion

Old February 16th, 2012, 16:13   #1
Barbie
Official Narcissistic Puma

Send a message via MSN to Barbie
Mouthguard for braces!!!

Hello all... Well i just had my braces installed today, yay!!! And well, i was discussing the protech mouthguard with my dentist, and she said its not recommended... Now on the website, it says it is... So my question here is for people with braces, what do you use as mouthguard? Do any of you have the protech one, and how did you install it??? It is by far my favorite one, wich is why i ask... I have masks, wich i very much dislike, and well, keeping my mouth close in a game, if you happen to know me, you sure know its not even an option... So again asc people with braces, what do you use to protech what you pay thousands of dollars to have straight???

I dont have a team, i have an open relationship with many... Jealous? Yep! I tought so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themis View Post
Now if you excuse me, I have to go put on my spacesuit to attend my "And much more" training session.
Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 16:17   #2
Drake
E-01

Come back when you're 18 and your braces are off, little girl :P

There's mouthguards made for braces but they're huge. But i think the Protech would be fine. You're not protecting against hockey pucks or anything.
Old February 16th, 2012, 16:18   #3
AKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie View Post
Hello all... Well i just had my braces installed today, yay!!! And well, i was discussing the protech mouthguard with my dentist, and she said its not recommended... Now on the website, it says it is... So my question here is for people with braces, what do you use as mouthguard? Do any of you have the protech one, and how did you install it??? It is by far my favorite one, wich is why i ask... I have masks, wich i very much dislike, and well, keeping my mouth close in a game, if you happen to know me, you sure know its not even an option... So again asc people with braces, what do you use to protech what you pay thousands of dollars to have straight???
my friend uses a simple Crappy tire mouthguard and molded the guard to his braces and teeth with putting it in boiling water!

Last edited by AKA; February 16th, 2012 at 19:45..
AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 16:18   #4
Jimski

you could get a mesh mask, I hate masks and the mesh mask is not too bothersome.
or you can duct-tape a piece of carboard on your mouth before each game.
Old February 16th, 2012, 16:38   #5
coach
aka coachster

Just mold the protech over the braces. You will have to play around with the placement and fit but you should be fine.

I use to wear a regular mouth guard with my braces when I played a lot of ice hockey. You don't get the same "suction fit" and it will seem loose at times.

IMO, the mesh masks are great. You can shape it to fit and hang them off a helmet or goggles. I hated the awkward angle the straps go around your head so I cut it off and zip ties it to my JT goggles.

Oh and yes, you can open your big mouth still and people can hear you sans the muffled effect of a paintball mask!
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 16:53   #6
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Also talking with some mouthguards is horrible. Take this from a guy who plays ice hockey as a goalie and needs to talk with his defense. You cannot understand for shit with a mouthguards in your mouth.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 17:28   #7
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt Caliber View Post
Also talking with some mouthguards is horrible. Take this from a guy who plays ice hockey as a goalie and needs to talk with his defense. You cannot understand for shit with a mouthguards in your mouth.
Look up the protech mouth guards. They are pretty good at allowing you to talk and be coherently heard.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 17:44   #8
z0ng

Barbie have your considered trying to make your own mask out of an old paintball mask? Myself and others just take old masks that we don't need anymore and cut a piece of the front off to act as a mouth guard and then bungee the thing to our head.

You can still be clearly heard with it on

Team GHOSTS G-42
How to fix your WE M4 Mags
z0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 18:00   #9
AKA

i have seen people use painters mask's too! it covers your mouth just enough to protect it,you can hardly feel it!
Old February 16th, 2012, 19:01   #10
Summers1000

You should have no problem wearing a mouthguard over braces if you mold them over (I have a shockdoctor from canadian tire for 20$ that I use for Rugby, that I have to remold every month).
But as others have said stick with a mask as it gives you less hassle if you want to talk, along with the protection it gives the lower face.
Summers1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 19:34   #11
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka View Post
my friend uses a simple crappy tire mouthguard and molded the guard to his braces and teeth with boiling water!
p s a * * * p s a * * * p s a * * * p s a * * * p s a
:d do not pour boiling water into your mouth to form the protec to your teeth and braces! :d
Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 19:37   #12
Gunk
In his Trunk!

Send a message via MSN to Gunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0ng View Post
Barbie have your considered trying to make your own mask out of an old paintball mask? Myself and others just take old masks that we don't need anymore and cut a piece of the front off to act as a mouth guard and then bungee the thing to our head.

You can still be clearly heard with it on
Like something as flimsy as a paintball mask could muffle Barbie...
"War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Numenor, and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Gunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 19:42   #13
AKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyissue View Post
p s a * * * p s a * * * p s a * * * p s a * * * p s a
:d do not pour boiling water into your mouth to form the protec to your teeth and braces! :d
no you drop the mouth guard in boiling water then take it out in 30 sec,then clench your teeth and mold your guard!
that would be funny!
Old February 16th, 2012, 20:15   #14
Barbie
Official Narcissistic Puma

Send a message via MSN to Barbie
I already have a protech so i know how they work, and thanks army for the advice!!! Gunk, nice one!! And zong, i did try that before but hate the steaming that happens and after all the sweat drops on me!! It ruins my makeup!!

I dont have a team, i have an open relationship with many... Jealous? Yep! I tought so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themis View Post
Now if you excuse me, I have to go put on my spacesuit to attend my "And much more" training session.
Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 20:31   #15
leblanc74

Send a message via MSN to leblanc74
As a professional dental technician...making a custom mouthguard with braces is possible however the fit will be very loose due to the fact the mouthguard will have no retention from the teeth...BUT, I know a way around that, the drawback is the material cost a little more....it is not those proform type of mouthguard but an elastrometric type which is way better material in terms of durability....

TO MAKE THINGS CLEAR THEY ARE NOT NAMED PROTECH...THAT IS JUST THE LABORATORY'S NAME OF WHICH THEY NAMED THEIRS....THE REAL NAME OF THOSE MOUTHGUARDS ARE CALLED...
PROFORM which they are the main investors of those laminates

Last edited by leblanc74; February 16th, 2012 at 20:34..
leblanc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion