Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

HOWTO - Radio Communications Primer

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old November 26th, 2011, 12:31   #16
Varjeal

Radio hacking sounds like a dumbass thing to do and doesn't belong in airsoft. Go elsewhere with this nonsense please.
Varjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:33   #17
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varjeal View Post
Radio hacking sounds like a dumbass thing to do and doesn't belong in airsoft. Go elsewhere with this nonsense please.
Crymore.

It's already done in the field. Adapt or die.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:37   #18
Varjeal

Not crying, just speaking up against the promotion of cheating in a hobby that relies on honorable play in order to have fun. If you have a problem with that sucks to be you. I don't need to adapt and I certainly don't intend on dying. Troll elsewhere.
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:51   #19
m102404
Tys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righthook View Post
Here is another trick you can use:

If you can afford to have a spare radio ,use this.
Once you know the frequency your opponent is transmitting on,
take a piece of electric tape (or a string, be creative) and use it so that the PTT is always held down. If your radio is the more powerful,it will jam your opponents'.

If they are smart, they will just change frequency, but it will take some time for people to catch on (it might just be a guy who is pressing down his PTT).
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
Crymore.

It's already done in the field. Adapt or die.
Disagree a bit with this one...in the sense that if it's said at the start of the game, "don't scan, don't flood, don't crash others frequencies", then nobody should. Full stop.

The reason that's put out there is to accomodate everyone playing, and that's a good thing.

If it's not said up front, and you're wondering about it...then the time to ask is at the briefing.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:59   #20
Kimbo
formerly pivot

If it's part of the game and everyone knows about it before hand fine, but if it's not agreed upon, it's cheap and it sucks.

It's bad enough getting airsofters comms to work when everyone is trying. Putting a fly in the ointment will just make players have a worse day of airsofting.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:59   #21
Varjeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
Disagree a bit with this one...in the sense that if it's said at the start of the game, "don't scan, don't flood, don't crash others frequencies", then nobody should. Full stop.

The reason that's put out there is to accomodate everyone playing, and that's a good thing.

If it's not said up front, and you're wondering about it...then the time to ask is at the briefing.
Fair enough I suppose. I guess I'm a bit naive and personally believe those tactics to be less than honorable in what we should all consider a -game- and having to be told to be honorable at the start of every match is a bit well...you get the idea. 'nuff said on my part and I did enjoy the original post. It helped me as a 1st year airsofter and newbie to radio comms to have a good start at learning proper or at least decent radio procedure.

Thanks for that.
Old November 26th, 2011, 13:12   #22
FoxhoundNB

If anybody starting screwing with comms during a game I would throat punch them.

Most games big enough to make use of radios have set frequencies for each team and admin/safety. If people start flooding comms to disrupt them... well the admin won't be able to get a hold of Team leaders/etc and you're risking a safety issue.

As for Radio VP... Screw all the technicalities and proper radio grammar; the MOST important thing is to speak clearly, slowly, and succinctly. You need to get out as much information as possible in a manner that EVERYONE understands and in a timely fashion.

The specifics of voice procedure only matter when you start being part of large organizations, and people you have no familiarity with. 99% of the time my VP ends up like "Hey, Jay, We're clearing through the ridge now, hold down the left flank" "Sure, got it". As far as I'm concerned, that's totally acceptable. The problem arises when people say things like "Hey, I need you to move your guys to that tree". I need to know who you're talking to and which tree you're talking about.

Master THAT skill and the rest will come easy.
FoxhoundNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 15:03   #23
m102404
Tys

Quote:
Fair enough I suppose. I guess I'm a bit naive and personally believe those tactics to be less than honorable in what we should all consider a -game- and having to be told to be honorable at the start of every match is a bit well...you get the idea. 'nuff said on my part and I did enjoy the original post. It helped me as a 1st year airsofter and newbie to radio comms to have a good start at learning proper or at least decent radio procedure.

Thanks for that.
Not completely...

What I'm saying is that if it's stated, Don't Do It...then that's one thing. If it's not...then it's not. If in doubt...ask game admin (and do it at the briefing when everyone's there).

There's regularly games here where we have codewords and such so interception of our comms is not such a big deal...sometimes we run codewords/timings/procedures to rotate through secondary/tertiary comm channels to.

Having someone transmit endlessly to "jam" our comms is commonplace...we usually just jump frequencies. Someone will always be on game control channel for safety/etc...either they'll have two radios, a radio that can monitor two channels at once or else they'll buddy up with someone on the team channel so they can be in the know.

To that end...I think that's what Shelledpants meant by adapt or die...he's just a prick though on the weekends
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 15:41   #24
Righthook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxhoundNB
Most games big enough to make use of radios have set frequencies for each team and admin/safety. If people start flooding comms to disrupt them... well the admin won't be able to get a hold of Team leaders/etc and you're risking a safety issue.
Definitely! If you're gonna allow comms jamming, you have to plan for it beforehand, but it is definetly doable!

Last edited by Righthook; November 26th, 2011 at 15:45..
Righthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 19:37   #25
leth1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righthook View Post
Definitely! If you're gonna allow comms jamming, you have to plan for it beforehand, but it is definetly doable!
and theres always a separate game control channel so if some douchehole decides to jam THAT frequency.. then theres an issue.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures