Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Footwear Review: Oakley SI Tactical Boots

:

Reviews

Old October 24th, 2016, 00:42   #1
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Footwear Review: Oakley SI Tactical Boots

Let me start by saying I've been pretty picky about my footwear ever since I was young and that I've owned several Oakley products, footwear and otherwise. Out of all the tactical boots I've owned for airsoft, my Oakleys have been my favourite. Personally I've owned a bunch of different hikers, industrial, outdoor, etc and typically gravitate towards companies like Under Armor, Dakota, Nike, etc. For airsoft specifically I've owned Bates, Magnum and Oakley boots, but I've tried on countless others (5.11, Lowa, Danners, Merrill, etc, etc).

A little while back Oakley changed their design, which is pretty common for the company, not just in footwear but their other lines as well. These changes however are usually small design or fabric changes year to year. This last set of changes to their SI boots were a huge overhaul. My goal was to replace my current boots before they started falling apart so that I'd have a great set of backups, being that they were years old I figured it was time to get on it.

Now before I go further I want to make clear, I'm not claiming that Oakley are the best of the best, although I'm sure they are up there, but that they are my favourite. One of those reasons is because of how well balanced they are. They certainly aren't the lightest, but they are pretty damn light, they aren't the sturdiest, but they're pretty damn sturdy, etc. They don't own all categories, but they do well in all and for $200, which, believe it or not is middle of the road for tactical boot pricing, they're awesome. I've worn them for way more than twenty-four hours straight and come out with happy-ish feet.

PERSONAL AIRSOFT SECRET TO SUCCESS: Treat footwear in airsoft like eyewear in airsoft. What I mean is, buy quality, don't cheap out and have backups. After sixteen hours of rain, hiking, running, mud, sweat and rolled ankles, you pull out fresh socks and boots, and not only will your feet be super happy, but your whole self will be exponentially better. And seeing the wet, tired and wretched masses of beat up airsofters watch you put on fresh footwear after hard fought night game, is like eating a prime rib dinner in front of someone who is starving... You feel slightly empathetic, but you're smiling on the inside.

My current set are this type:

Although they are several years old, they are very much alive and kicking (literally) and have been my favourite boots thus far.

My new set are these:

Quite the change, right?

Usually costing about $200US, I bought them on sale at MidwayUSA for $75US. Midway doesn't ship to Canada though, so I drove down and picked them up. After wearing them I'd pay the $200 if needs be, but sales can be found, even Oakley has sales.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...er-coyote-mens

Well, the new boots are very different, but very good and with some improvements. Initially slipping them on was like putting my foot into a pillow. Instead of just a good boot you can really feel the cushioning, so that impressed me. However, they feel snug and and "snug is snug" with these, so you don't need to cinch them up like crazy. In fact I'd recommend buying these a half size or one size bigger than usual.

On the exterior you'll notice the much more armoured and aggressive look. I was impressed with the grip and quietness of my old ones and although I've only gone hiking and used these for general use so far to break them in, I notice an improvement in grip. I must say that they pick up little rocks very easily now.

The new material choices are quite interesting and so far I'm impressed with overall structure. There's a rubberized guard over the heal and another one internally in the toe, which doesn't cover the toe like safety boots, but may protect your toes when you're kicking something. The whole structure is stiffer, making a better ankle support, but even with the improved comfort I'm not sure if I prefer the lack of flexibility over the older design. I should mention that I grabbed the six inch ankles this time versus the eight inch.

Other than slight cons, which aren't really cons, there's only one real con to mention and that's the weight. It certainly is up and not down, but the boots are overall still pretty light, so I'm not disappointed. Just looking at the two pictures above should tell you there's a weight increase. These also seem to be more weather resilient and that added to the increased armour and padding will likely make for less breathability. That's usually not a bad trade off depending on just how non-breathable they are overall. Personally I won't know until I give them a hard run during next summer, but they have gotten good reviews from people in Iraq and Afghanistan, so make of that what you will.

Other than that, there's not much to say. Maybe in a few years I'll have more info after they've been beaten to hell, and we can see if they are still in one piece and if I'm still in love with them.

Boots and ankle support are very important in airsoft, especially if you want to play tactically and/or competitively. Not to mention any outdoor enthusiast or sports athlete will tell you good footwear and taking care of your feet are crucial to success. For airsoft specifically I recommend quality, light-weight, flexible and comfortable combat, mountain, or jungle boots with at least a six inch ankle support. Do not use work boots, steel-toes, ultra stiff boots, or extreme weather boots (unless necessary), etc.

Last edited by Ricochet; October 24th, 2016 at 10:27..
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 08:54   #2
Desmodus
Mexifaggot

Nice review. I'm in the market for new boots myself and I have to admit Oakley never popped up in my mind as a company to check out for footwear. I've been using CF Mk3 boots for over a year now and its definitely time for an upgrade. I'll see if theres a local place that might have these to look at.

Primaries: LCT AK74MN w/SKTBR, VFC M4 SOPMOD Block 2
Secondary: Latino heat, TM Glock 17
Desmodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 11:42   #3
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Sometimes the Oakley stores carry them, you can get them through Oakleyforces.ca if you're military, medic, police, fire, etc, and I think a few others, BUT expect to pay full price in Canada. Worth it though if you have the cash. If you're anywhere near the border, have a set shipped to over the border mailbox business and pick 'em up. Or wait for a sale.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews