Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

How important is eye protection to you?

:

Gear Discussion

View Poll Results: What eye pro are YOU wearing??
$3 and I can't prove from factory they're actually Z87.1+ 12 2.94%
Z87.1+ shop glasses, uvex, pyrex, whatever, they're a brand and have test documents available 104 25.49%
MIL-SPEC. My eye pro eats SHRAPNEL for BREAKFAST 264 64.71%
I wear mesh, it's BB proof but not shrapnel proof...as often as that ever happens... 15 3.68%
I'm gonna go upgrade my eye protection now... 13 3.19%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 6th, 2015, 22:35   #76
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

While these new impact ratings are indeed well below what we play at - I just want to add that they test using steel balls, which will transfer far more energy into the eyebro than an airsoft BB.

Either way - another great reason to stick with milspec only.
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 22:45   #77
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Had someone else work it out to 1.14j
Sooooooo we're all in agreement it's well below 3j
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 14:00   #78
ThunderCactus

Ive been meaning to update the number on this but havent had time to spend an hour looking up facts and figures all over.
But here's a PSA from Manitoba's own Eddie Creek field owner:
Quote:
PSA...
Player today nearly lost an eye.
The round blew the back piece of the lense out. And got some in the eye.
This is a reminder.
Do not cheap on on eye pro. And just testing them by shooting at it with a gun may not do it. This player did test fire on the glasses...
Buy proper. Well fitting. Full seal eyepro.
They have yet ti create replacement eyes everyone.
These glasses were test shot to see if they could withstand a hit, and they passed that test. But shooting the lens weakens it. And like Ive said before, just because the field limit is 1.6j doesn't mean everyone out there understands joule creep, or is playing by the rules.

Remember, a Z87.1+ rating by itself doesn't mean jack shit. Any Chinese company can machine that rating into a mould and fill it with plexiglass or some shit.
A Z87.1+ rating means absolutely nothing unless there's actual documentation behind it. This is why brand name is important.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1480445685307.jpg (149.7 KB, 36 views)
Old November 29th, 2016, 15:10   #79
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Most manufacturers will also tell you that after one strike or scratch, the eyewear is done. Buy proper ballistic lenses from reputable companies, from reputable retailers, period. You don't necessarily need full seal (depending on field rules or insurance), but your eyewear should fully protect the eyes from all angles and be properly lashed to your head by a proper retention strap.
Old November 29th, 2016, 18:03   #80
LimaCharlie

Pyramex a good company then? If anyone has experiene with them.
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 19:31   #81
Ricochet

If you're in Burnaby, go to DS Tactical in New West on the corner of 8th and 12th. They carry Oakley, Revision and Smith. I personally recommend the Revision Bullet-Ants for comfort and profile, but the Wolf-Spiders have better airflow.
Old November 29th, 2016, 19:35   #82
ThunderCactus

Pyramex does industrial eyepro, so they're pretty good.
Edge as well.
You can get Z87.1+ and milspec glasses for >$10 and >$20 respectively, just make sure it's from a reputable company.
Old November 29th, 2016, 21:30   #83
RainyEyes

Hmm that's a good point. How often do you replace eye pro after it's taken impact? I've been wearing my valken tactical sierra's for almost 6 years now. I've washed them, got them wet, got them shot at (has marks and scuffs on them). When is the telltale sign of the necessity to replace them BEFORE having a bb pass through like wet tissue paper and into my poor corneas?
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 21:39   #84
chaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Pyramex a good company then? If anyone has experiene with them.
I have a pair of pyramex goggles that have taken hits with no damage. Optics just aren't very clear.
Personally switched to Smith Optics Aeris and OTW's from Revision glasses.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 23:00   #85
Ricochet

Go through like paper? Probably not, but let's put it this way; I've had a hard hat literally disintegrate in my hands after a time. If you're talking about safety level eyewear, then the typical rating is one strike or one scratch and they're done. They'll certainly take more punishment, but that's the specs. Ballistic and Paintball grade lenses are supposed to be higher, but after a time, especially if you're cleaning them with chemicals and/or applying whatever anti-fog crap, the lenses will break down, not to mention sunlight, dirt, etc. This may take years however. If your lenses are old, scratched up, or you don't have complete faith in them, then it's likely time for a change. Also look for material breakdown and tiny stress fractures around the edges.
Old November 30th, 2016, 07:10   #86
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

Eyewear should be carefully inspected per hit and considered disposable.

Think of the money you spend as insurance against never being able to see again.
I do not understand how people can take this so lightly, or even necessarily scapegoat retailers for their own lack of research and eye safety/ paranoia.

Teeth are one thing, but eyes! Eyes!!!!
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 12:02   #87
chaz

Buy something that has replaceable lenses. Done!
Initial output might be high but replacement lenses are cheap.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 15:00   #88
ThunderCactus

Microfractures are what cause lenses to break apart when hit. But can you tell when a lens is going to blow apart on the inside like that? Really doubt it.
It's usually due to the lens not being flexible enough, so instead of flexing to absorb impact, it blows apart on the inside. But can be caused by hardening over time, like exposure to chemicals. Not sure if UV exposure does the same thing.
If you have an impact dimple on your lens, then you should replace it. Dimples are induced stress and weaken the lens. Regardless, you probably shouldn't go more than 2 seasons with the same set of lenses.
Old November 30th, 2016, 15:36   #89
Ricochet

Eventually the protective coatings wear down and the lense will become more susceptible to UV and other exposure, though this can take years, even with safety glasses. Micro-fractures can be seen if you look carefully. This is why you should ever clean your eyewear with anything more than warm soapy water and approved anti-fog. Most ballistic lenses will be fully BB resistant for years and years.
Old November 30th, 2016, 15:58   #90
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyEyes View Post
Hmm that's a good point. How often do you replace eye pro after it's taken impact? I've been wearing my valken tactical sierra's for almost 6 years now. I've washed them, got them wet, got them shot at (has marks and scuffs on them). When is the telltale sign of the necessity to replace them BEFORE having a bb pass through like wet tissue paper and into my poor corneas?
I replace mine once a year or so, they see a LOT of use outside of airsoft. Lots of sweat, UV, and bug dope damage.

Most companies recommend replacing lenses often or after light damage though every manufacture is different. Check your manual.
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion