Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

lipo alarm keeps beeping..what does this mean?

:

Doctor's Corner

Old April 5th, 2011, 23:02   #1
fi3re

Send a message via MSN to fi3re
lipo alarm keeps beeping..what does this mean?

Just bought kingarms 11.1v 1200mah 15c lipo,tenergy smart charger and this lipo alarm
http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1841

using in tm mp5k m120 spring, G&P m120 motor, half port cylinder. Mechbox is shimmed and in very good working condition.

After freshly charged, lipo alarm would beep every 5-10 shots. It'd be really sporadic, sometimes after a few semi auto shots, sometimes i'd get 20 shots with no beep, sometimes I could fire a full auto burst with no beep.

Sometimes the 3 green lights (one per cell) would go off and turn red but then instantly return to green. I believe it beeps when a cell dips below 3.0v but is something wrong here? Motor and battery also get pretty hot after a bit of shooting.

TM MP5k PDW -ris, stubby grip, DNTC, electro
KWA USP 45

"SNIPER" is NOT a gun. It is a person. Saying "I use a sniper" is like saying "I fly a pilot".
fi3re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 23:10   #2
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

If the battery and motor is getting hot, then either the motor is smoked, or your gears do not have a high enough torque level to crank a spring that heavy.

IF YOUR LIPO BATTERY IS GETTING HOT, STOP USING IT IMMEDIATELY.

... unless you like violent lithium fires starting up beside your face...

Hot Lipo batteries are NOT a good sign, as an immediate danger, and also for the long term life of the battery itself.

Last edited by ILLusion; April 5th, 2011 at 23:14..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 23:13   #3
Spawn28
I am manly hear me squeek

Send a message via MSN to Spawn28
Possibly a short as well and ya a hot lipo is VERY FUCKIN BAD!! Have it checked could have done some serious damage to it and they do have a tendancy to go BOOM! if you mistreat them

Damnit beat me to it
Old April 5th, 2011, 23:15   #4
fi3re

are lipos not supposed to get hot at all? I dont mean scalding hot, but like a bit more than warm for sure. If the alarm beeps even once is that a sign to stop using the battery?

The gears are standard ratio gears...I was pretty sure m120 motor had enough power to pull an m120 spring with standard ratio gears...I'm getting very good trigger response...Would the motor draw more current if its having trouble pulling the spring?

what would you suggest be my course of action...Try a high torque motor?

edit: checked my gun today for shorts. I dont see any problems in the wiring, and I just cleaned all contacts. btw I'm using a 30A fuse does that have any effect?

KWA USP 45

"SNIPER" is NOT a gun. It is a person. Saying "I use a sniper" is like saying "I fly a pilot".
Old April 5th, 2011, 23:18   #5
Spawn28

No lipos are not supposed to heat up at all not even a little as far as the beeping its probably due to the damaged battery issue or a short somewhere or like Illusion mentioned the motor could be smoked as well

Check all connections and wires for pinches and cuts then try a new battery if the probalem still occures then switch the motor. but i would look at the wiring firstoff

Last edited by Spawn28; April 5th, 2011 at 23:20..
Spawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 23:19   #6
HKGhost

A mildly warm lipo is ok, if it gets too hot to touch, then you have a serious problem. I think your problem is the lipo alarm. It may be faulty. After you charge the lipo, are you using it right away or waiting awhile before use?

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 23:21   #7
Spawn28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKGhost View Post
A mildly warm lipo is ok, if it gets too hot to touch, then you have a serious problem. I think your problem is the lipo alarm. It may be faulty. After you charge the lipo, are you using it right away or waiting awhile before use?
Never even thought of that being the problem but ya it could very well be that as well.
Old April 5th, 2011, 23:22   #8
fi3re

I'm using the lipo within 10 minutes of freshly charged. Faulty alarm eh...will try another one then, but still it IS getting warm....

Side note, my gun was NOT pulling the m120 spring with m120 motor, with an 8.4 1500mah nimh battery. So perhaps my motor is dead?

KWA USP 45

Old April 5th, 2011, 23:26   #9
Ghostnote

I have the same lipo alarm from airsoftparts and I am having the same issue, although it only beeps once every 40-80 shots. Have you looked at the alarm when it beeps? Do the lights go red monetarily?

ps which battery do you have that gits an 11.1 insice a mp5k?
Ghostnote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 23:28   #10
fi3re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
I have the same lipo alarm from airsoftparts and I am having the same issue, although it only beeps once every 40-80 shots. Have you looked at the alarm when it beeps? Do the lights go red monetarily?

ps which battery do you have that gits an 11.1 insice a mp5k?
Is the battery getting hot?

The lights would be pretty random. Sometimes one of three lights would blink off, sometimes all three, sometimes all three would go red for a second.

http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1262
this battery fits perfectly.

KWA USP 45

Old April 5th, 2011, 23:43   #11
HKGhost

I'd say pull out the motor, use a multimeter to test the resistance. How old is this motor? Also, are you using the stock wires?

Old April 5th, 2011, 23:47   #12
THe_Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi3re View Post
I'm using the lipo within 10 minutes of freshly charged. Faulty alarm eh...will try another one then, but still it IS getting warm....

Side note, my gun was NOT pulling the m120 spring with m120 motor, with an 8.4 1500mah nimh battery. So perhaps my motor is dead?
Maybe. More likely, the 8.4v battery doesn't have enough power to cycle such a stiff spring. That combined with the M120's lack of toque to begin with will certainly point to a battery issue. Also, my lipos have never heated up so you may want to try a different lipo. The only time I had a lipo heat up, it started swelling.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
-Founder of Steel City Hamilton Infantry and Tactics
-Certified level 43 Autosniper by Commander Amos
THe_Silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 23:47   #13
fi3re

Quote:
I'd say pull out the motor, use a multimeter to test the resistance. How old is this motor? Also, are you using the stock motor wires?
dont have one, but will try to get to a hobby shop. motor is around a year old seeing 3-4k shots. and yes stock TM wires all around.

Oh right, also, I've been having trouble with my trigger contacts, I believe one of the contacts is snapped, one is much longer than the other. I had to modify my trigger so it would push the slider far enough to reach both. Would there be resistance issues if the trigger was barely contacting?

KWA USP 45

Old April 5th, 2011, 23:58   #14
HKGhost

there's your problem! your switch assembly is causing too much resistance and it's causing the battery to push more amps. So the battery and motor will get warm. Get a new switch assembly and put in new wires. Low resistance wires.

P.S. I have one in my sales thread.

Old April 6th, 2011, 00:02   #15
fi3re

Quote:
there's your problem! your switch assembly is causing too much resistance and it's causing the battery to push more amps. So the battery and motor will get warm. Get a new switch assembly and put in new wires. Low resistance wires.

whoops...i guess I should have mentioned that....but the contacts were working fine just too short....so would resistance in the contacts really make the battery push more amps? afaik I thought the motor only takes the amps it needs...so whats the verdict here, motor issues, battery issue or trigger contact issue? or if I got a trigger master that would solve all electrical problems wouldnt it....

btw does anyone know if the mp5k is "front" or "rear" wired?
might pick this up
http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1566

KWA USP 45

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner