Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

NVG Equipment Gallery

:

Gear Discussion

Old November 4th, 2015, 00:14   #526
mcguyver

I think, after reading your earlier posts Deltastronk, I misjudged your position on this matter. I mostly agree with you, however, seeing as this is the NVG thread, the lasers we really should be discussing is the IR lasers. I mean, who would use a visible laser with NV anyways? I don't, I paid the big bucks for an OTAL, and I demand that others using lasers, especially IR wiphich will not trigger a blink reflex, be Class I.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 00:27   #527
Derpystronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
I think, after reading your earlier posts Deltastronk, I misjudged your position on this matter. I mostly agree with you, however, seeing as this is the NVG thread, the lasers we really should be discussing is the IR lasers. I mean, who would use a visible laser with NV anyways? I don't, I paid the big bucks for an OTAL, and I demand that others using lasers, especially IR wiphich will not trigger a blink reflex, be Class I.
No worried bud.

The issue was the guy saying unregulated IR lasers, as long as you don't point them at peoples faces, are cool - brought up using rated, red lasers as being unsafe. It's just silly.

Frankly there are more immediate, substantial matters that need to be addressed on the field than the <10 guys I had last year using a red laser at events in all of 2015.

That said there are some people who advocate the only lasers being used at events are Class 1 lasers, so red lasers are out. All the power to them. I have no issue with how others run their games. I'll still play at those games. Hell I was down in the US last year at an event where lasers were not even checked. I regularly saw PEQ's on high power, green NC Star lasers being used and an unlimited supply of G&P DBAL's on peoples rifles. Some places just care more than others or have different rules.

Anyways it doesn't look like the discussion is going to continue much further than this, so hopefully this thread can get back to dank photos instead of petty squabbling.

P O S T Y E R N O D S
O
S
T

Y
E
R

N
O
D
S

Last edited by Derpystronk; November 4th, 2015 at 00:29..
Derpystronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 00:42   #528
mcguyver

OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (305.4 KB, 105 views)

Old November 4th, 2015, 00:48   #529
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 01:40   #530
EastCoastShooter
Guerrilla-Killa

Finally
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5070.jpg (41.8 KB, 53 views)
EastCoastShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 06:00   #531
Amoki

At the risk of another tangential question...

What NOD mounts are you guys running? My FMA AKA2 is on its way, but I am after something a bit more accessible... would love to run the FMA INVG but cannot figure put how to mount it on a pvs-14?
Amoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 06:05   #532
Derpystronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoki View Post

What NOD mounts are you guys running? My FMA AKA2 is on its way, but I am after something a bit more accessible... would love to run the FMA INVG but cannot figure put how to mount it on a pvs-14?
If the FMA has the standard j-arm port, you should be fine. Just make sure you dummy cord it to something.

The real and fake INVG's require a dovetail style mount, of which there are two and they are both real, and both 200 dollars.

Wilcox J-Arm
Norotos Dual Dovetail Adapter

Both of those would allow you to use it with an INVG. Whether the real ones will plug into a fake system or not I'm not completely sure. In my opinion you are better off with the AKA2 given it operates on a bush button control and is easy to use.
Old November 4th, 2015, 19:03   #533
mcguyver

Quote:

I use the Wilcox L4G24 mount wit the basic J-arm (the one without the off button). It is fine, but the breakaway feature is unnecessary and with a real bump helmet it can pop off a little too easy for my liking. A lanyard is necessary, I don't trust myself to not have mount in breakaway mode, and would suck to drop the NV on a concrete pad or down a stairwell, etc.

I would never use clone headgear, mounts, arms or fittings with quality NV. Clones have never been known for quality materials and tolerance, an I ain't trusting $3500 NV on a $100 mount.

Same is true for optics for a real gun. Don't use $20 clone rings for a $3500 Schmitt-Bender scope.

Old November 4th, 2015, 21:34   #534
jdmej2

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3sk View Post

Mod-3
How do you like the Mod 3 setup vs. the Sentinels or AN/PVS 15's? Pros vs cons?

I am heavily debating on getting my hands on the Mod 3 if and when I can...
jdmej2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 03:08   #535
EastCoastShooter
Guerrilla-Killa

Some new, some old
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3706.jpg (170.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5445.jpg (122.3 KB, 56 views)
EastCoastShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 01:29   #536
Azathoth

Quote:

If you are going to spend good money on a Quality set of NVG you may as well get a quality set of headgear and mounts. It makes no sense to bet the bank that your 20 dollar fake mount will keep your 3000+ dollar NV secure to your helmet.

I run the RHINO 2 aka Titanium Rhino. It's basically the Commonwealth version of the rhino with USGI J-Arm. It's the best bang for the buck combination. The L4G24 mount is marginally better, in that it tucks the nods closer to the helmet and points the glass away from potential BB fire. But the price point difference is gigantic. Also would comment that the "defect" in the Rhino 2 which is causing the large number of surplused units is actually an advantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2015, 22:22   #537
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmej2 View Post
How do you like the Mod 3 setup vs. the Sentinels or AN/PVS 15's? Pros vs cons?

I am heavily debating on getting my hands on the Mod 3 if and when I can...
MOD-3 Was pretty sweet. I prefer the sentinels for the ball detent option, allowing you to use ultra elite kit like the Wilcox NSW GSGM mount for things like battery packs/aux power options.

Having used both, PVS-15's are now just a discontinued boat anchor made of a less durable material compared to Sentinels, so there really isn't any comparison there.

Old November 10th, 2015, 22:18   #538
jdmej2

Quote:
MOD-3 Was pretty sweet. I prefer the sentinels for the ball detent option, allowing you to use ultra elite kit like the Wilcox NSW GSGM mount for things like battery packs/aux power options.

Having used both, PVS-15's are now just a discontinued boat anchor made of a less durable material compared to Sentinels, so there really isn't any comparison there.

Lol, fair enough! The sentinels were another option I was drooling over. I really like the up armoured Anvis idea a lot and, well, the Anvis tubes are just awesome anyways. However, there is just something about the Mod 3 I like better...

This is all irrelevant anyways, seeing as it will be a when and if I can get either...
Old November 11th, 2015, 16:44   #539
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmej2 View Post
Lol, fair enough! The sentinels were another option I was drooling over. I really like the up armoured Anvis idea a lot and, well, the Anvis tubes are just awesome anyways. However, there is just something about the Mod 3 I like better...

This is all irrelevant anyways, seeing as it will be a when and if I can get either...
Yea I mean, they all use the same tubes. An ANVIS tube is just an MX-10160, same as a PVS-15, PVS-31, Sentinel, MOD-3, etc.
Between the two, the differences are quite subtle, but I'll outline the stuff I found below. Any cons are really just me being nit picky.

Sentinel Pros:
- Rugged as fuck.
- IP Adjustment is really solid. Tube housings have zero wobble.
- Different mounting options for aux power solutions.
- Left hand device manipulation.
This was a big deal for me. Most if not all PVS devices have the controls set up for left hand, as do the mounts. In short, it's more intuitive to manipulate everything with your left hand.
- Comes in FDE.
- Extremely lightweight.
- Built in illuminator has two modes, one is god's flashlight.

Sentinel Cons:
- Slightly more expensive.
- No modular capability.
- Depending on helmet & mount, while using the L4G24 some users may find they would like to get the eyepieces closer to their eyes.

MOD-3 Pros:
- Rugged as fuck.
- Cheaper compared to the Sentinels and other binocular housings.
- Modular, can pass off a monocular to a friend.. but, you didn't spend all that money on binoculars just to hook up your scrub friend! :P
- While not as lightweight as the sentinels, still lighter than most binocular setups.
- Due to the dovetail placement, I can put the MOD-3's through my eyeballs with an L4G24 if not careful.

MOD-3 Cons:
- Tubes housings wobble.
Not a deal breaker, but kinda wish it didn't do that.
- IP Adjustment can be kinda janky on its clicks compared to the sentinel, not as precise... probably contributed by the wobble on these systems.
- Power Knob is on the right hand side, and is reversed instead of where it should be... you find yourself hitting your Illuminator whilst trying to power the device off.
- Illuminator leaves little to be desired.. it's pretty weak.
- Poor placement of the battery compartment, it can be difficult to access with the tubes in the way.

Old November 11th, 2015, 23:47   #540
jdmej2

Quote:
Yea I mean, they all use the same tubes. An ANVIS tube is just an MX-10160, same as a PVS-15, PVS-31, Sentinel, MOD-3, etc.
Between the two, the differences are quite subtle, but I'll outline the stuff I found below. Any cons are really just me being nit picky.

Sentinel Pros:
- Rugged as fuck.
- IP Adjustment is really solid. Tube housings have zero wobble.
- Different mounting options for aux power solutions.
- Left hand device manipulation.
This was a big deal for me. Most if not all PVS devices have the controls set up for left hand, as do the mounts. In short, it's more intuitive to manipulate everything with your left hand.
- Comes in FDE.
- Extremely lightweight.
- Built in illuminator has two modes, one is god's flashlight.

Sentinel Cons:
- Slightly more expensive.
- No modular capability.
- Depending on helmet & mount, while using the L4G24 some users may find they would like to get the eyepieces closer to their eyes.

MOD-3 Pros:
- Rugged as fuck.
- Cheaper compared to the Sentinels and other binocular housings.
- Modular, can pass off a monocular to a friend.. but, you didn't spend all that money on binoculars just to hook up your scrub friend! :P
- While not as lightweight as the sentinels, still lighter than most binocular setups.
- Due to the dovetail placement, I can put the MOD-3's through my eyeballs with an L4G24 if not careful.

MOD-3 Cons:
- Tubes housings wobble.
Not a deal breaker, but kinda wish it didn't do that.
- IP Adjustment can be kinda janky on its clicks compared to the sentinel, not as precise... probably contributed by the wobble on these systems.
- Power Knob is on the right hand side, and is reversed instead of where it should be... you find yourself hitting your Illuminator whilst trying to power the device off.
- Illuminator leaves little to be desired.. it's pretty weak.
- Poor placement of the battery compartment, it can be difficult to access with the tubes in the way.

Ah OK, I'm still learning all the tubes and what devices use them etc... So thanks for helping out on that one lol! Really appreciate the info on everything.

I really do like the Sentinel goggle for the ruggedness and just for the shear versatility, ie: mounting options, power supply and the God IR light. Price point is a bit more, but get what you pay for.

The modular monocle of the Mod 3 is a great idea but I had my suspicions about them having some play. I've heard that the eye relief can get pretty damn close as well. But what about eye relief on both goggles while wearing eye pro, any issues with to close or not close enough? I am running an L4G24 with my current monocle setup, so this is a concern.

In the end I would probably go for the Sentinel goggle overall. Just still like the simplistic look of the Mod 3, but I cant go by looks alone.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion