Request for feedback from V4 propane adaptor users

:

Accessories Discussion

Old December 24th, 2005, 17:55   #1
MadMax
Delierious Designer of Dastardly Detonations

Location: in the dark recesses of some metal chip filled machine shop
Request for feedback from V4 propane adaptor users

I'm gearing up for another manufacturing run of V4 adaptors soon. I was wondering if there were any prevailing complaints that I might be able address in the coming run of new product.

So far I've been asked to use a more secure cap (threaded or otherwise locking). Unfortunately I don't think this is possible as I can't afford a custom injection moulding run of better caps. I'm limited to off the shelf caps until I'm selling in ludicrous quantity. I looked into using clear film canisters with the snap on groove, but I couldn't find a good source for them. They're too long too.

Are there any common issues which I might address with a small adjustment in design? What issues about my product just annoy the crap out of you and you wish I had my act together?

Changes that are already planned:

-more aggressive crimp/staking which retains the probe
-small increase in tank probe diameter to address an occasional leakage issue

Changes that are being pursued but may not prove to be feasible:

-slightly longer probe for to facilitate WA Combat mags (I'm not sure if I can do the deep small throughbore on a production level)

MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 19:24   #2
bundun

Send a message via MSN to bundun
as far as i'm concerned the changes you've got planned are all that are needed.
bundun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 19:47   #3
Bob the Angry Potato
*AV Status Suspended pending trade resolution*

Send a message via MSN to Bob the Angry Potato
Yeah... perhaps you can make it a bit longer? Or, an adapter to put on the end for a longer needle, as I'm planning on buying a Tanaka revolver and it's a pain in the ass to fill it with the shorter needle...
Old December 24th, 2005, 19:55   #4
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Can the new one come with a blonde bombshell model that helps me *fill* my mag? LOL.

I don't think you can do anything else to your perfect design Carl...
Old December 25th, 2005, 02:12   #5
D_oo_S

Send a message via MSN to D_oo_S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Angry Potato
Yeah... perhaps you can make it a bit longer? Or, an adapter to put on the end for a longer needle, as I'm planning on buying a Tanaka revolver and it's a pain in the ass to fill it with the shorter needle...
You can buy one of his duster adapters and put it on the propane adapters tip. Works great!
Old December 25th, 2005, 02:59   #6
MadMax

I might be able to make it a bit longer for WA Combat mags, but a Tanaka revolver requires an extension tip. The duster adaptor is a compatible extension tip.

Old December 25th, 2005, 03:12   #7
rat

personally i have just been worried about damaging it.

what i have done to protect mine is carry it in a film container. works well, but is slightly too tight....this form of future protection would be nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desk064.jpg (2.3 KB, 10 views)
rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 03:40   #8
JohnnyDo

Send a message via MSN to JohnnyDo
it seems my adapter doesn't thread all that much into the propane tank. I've had no issues with the adapter other then it's sometimes hard to get a good seal between the adapter and the mag.

the whole thing about threading the adapter to a propane tank .. it seems (without actually mesuring it) that hte adapter only threads on maybe 1/8" - 1/4" ... not near as much as say a propane heater or light would screw on. I'm just a bit nervious about stripping out threads and such or wear and tear issues.

overall I'd have to say other then above .. the adapter is very well made and works great.
JohnnyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 09:21   #9
DoctorDeath

Mine broke in two pieces, the nozzle and the threaded part. Still works though. I'd say try and keep them together, that's all I can think of.
Old December 25th, 2005, 11:22   #10
mirage13

Ditto.
mirage13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 23:19   #11
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDo
it seems my adapter doesn't thread all that much into the propane tank. I've had no issues with the adapter other then it's sometimes hard to get a good seal between the adapter and the mag.

the whole thing about threading the adapter to a propane tank .. it seems (without actually mesuring it) that hte adapter only threads on maybe 1/8" - 1/4" ... not near as much as say a propane heater or light would screw on. I'm just a bit nervious about stripping out threads and such or wear and tear issues.

overall I'd have to say other then above .. the adapter is very well made and works great.
Thanks for reminding about that one. The short threading is a holdover from the V1 design and is somewhat important in the current build.

The reason that I only allow a short amount of threading was originally intended to prevent a V1 adaptor probe deep enough to drop into the bottle fitting and hook under the inside edge of the bottle fitting. It's not possible with a fully threaded on adaptor, but if more turns were allowed, enough space would be provided to push the probe fully in and lock under the inside of the bottle fitting. By only providing one or two threads, I can prevent the bottle fitting from holding to the bottle and locking the probe in.

The issue isn't as present in later versions with the locked in spring (it reduces the available space for the situation). However, if someone were to use an adaptor without a spring, the condition could occur if more threads were available.

I may change the design more significantly to allow more threads. More turns means more material and more machine time though. I'll have to see how it costs out.

As to the probe falling out of the bottle fitting, that's why I'm changing the staking tool. A more aggressive staking would push more metal in at the 4 "bite" marks and retain the probe more securely.

Old December 25th, 2005, 23:35   #12
[Avtomat]

this is for the silicon bottles: Change the drip head for the bottle, im having a hard time centering the drop with that type of nozzle. i like the old flip up ones.
WE hi-capa 5.1 striker - gone
TM Ak47 - gone
Western Arms Inifnity 3.9 - gone

Get your answers here!
Answers: $5
Good Answers: $10
Correct Answers: $20
Well-researched Answers complete with reference: $150/hr plus materials
[Avtomat] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 23:50   #13
Kid

The flip ones were horrible. It leaked EVERYWHERE. They are HORRIBLE.
If you set them down, it leaks, it you stand it up, it leaks.
When you are dropping it in... it leaks out other places.

Like... Better top please!
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 00:09   #14
gamer123
Banned

I'll be getting the silicone oil soon, but by looking at the pictures and others' comments, perhaps its better off with a design like those eyedrop bottles?
gamer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 00:17   #15
MadMax

This is really a discussion about the V4 propane adaptor as I am planning another run of them.

Unfortunately I had to change to the flip caps because the turret type (dropper type) do not seal when closed reliably. My products are usually airmail shipped. When a plane takes off, the cargo hold pressure drops which can pull oil thru an unsealed turret nozzle. I just couldn't find a cap supplier who could provide me with reliable turret style caps. I did consider an eyedropper type top, but I found that the seperable top was a bad thing. It was too easy to knock over an uncapped bottle while dosing a tank with oil.

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion