Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

High Speed Gears Stripping Pistons

:

Doctor's Corner

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:56   #76
Azathoth

Is your 9.6v pack old? IE 3+ years?

When the 9.6v "does nothing" does the pinion gear of the motor even making a "clicking" sound when trying to turn the gears

My opinion would be
1. Poorly shimmed Over shimmed most likely
2. Poorly lubricated. Over/under/wrong lubricant
3. Poor battery quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:36   #77
iKliiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar1975 View Post
Also.. should i completely give up on the 9.6 NiMh battery that actually fits this gun? Would that battery ever be able to work in this set up? Seems like im forced to use a high discharge lipo here..
No guarantees that the SHS will pull your setup on a 9.6v. When I had my AK, I required a Frankentorque motor to pull a 400 FPS spring with 13:1 gears using a 9.6V lipo.

Just get a 11.1 AK/MP5k stick type LiPo, it should be a perfect fit. They will work in your setup, even though their discharge rate is only around 20C. Unfortunately, there are 11.1 AK stick LiPos that provide high discharge rates (>30C continuous).
iKliiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:52   #78
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

You're going to have to take things apart anyway, so report back after you've tried:

1. Fully charge all batteries. What are their voltages according to your multimeter?
2. Degrease everything in the mechbox. Remove the entire cylinder assembly, anti reversal latch, and the cut off lever, thus keeping only the gears. Screw the two halves together. Don't forget the motor cage screws - tight but don't over tighten because you will strip something without the cage in place.
3. Test shimming by spinning the gears. You should be able to get 2 or 3 full revolutions of the sector gear. Remove shims if its too tight. The interface between the 3 gears should be good, but don't try to achieve so much contact that the flat surfaces of the gears touch each other.
4. Reinstall only the cylinder and piston assembly - don't put the spring and spring guide in. Try to use gravity to simulate a pullback of the piston. Is anything binding?
5. Examine the motor brushes. If the motor is old and brushes are worn more than halfway, you will need to change them.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner