Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Review - ICS M4 BIBLE: Problems and Fixes

:

Reviews

Old April 14th, 2005, 08:18   #46
Slick

Send a message via MSN to Slick
Heres a list of problems I had with my ICS M4. Just so everyone knows, I know my way around a mechbox. So I do know what Im doing and what Im talking about. Ive now had the pleasure of working with every TM mechbox ever made. Except for a version 5.

Here are a list of parts that broke in my gun. I was running it with a pdi 150% spring and metal bushings. And yes it was the ver.2.

Piston - The first tooth on the piston snapped off.
Tappet plate - The plastic where the spring is attached snapped right off.
Motor - The metal neck on the motor snapped in half!
Anti reverse latch - What can I say. The metal lever for decompressing the spring is crap. Its so weak that it busted with a 150% spring inside it.
Last but not least - The ICS highcap - For some odd reason the hicap wouldnt work in my gun properly. Would stop shooting and you would have to bang it.

After replacing all these parts the gun worked fine. But still made a god awful noise. I can always tell who has the ICS on the field because you can here that peice of shit from across the field.

Another problem I noticed was a oddly low fps. I didnt have extra version 2 parts to swap in and out of the gun to figure out what the problem was. But I know that it was shooting low right out of the box(210fps). I even put in a 170% spring that I knew was shooting 390fps. And the gun cronyed at around 330fps. After talking with a few other ICS owners I found that I was not the only one.

Id say If anyones looking for a M4 just go with TM or CA. Ive heard the CAs are bomb proof. Get a TM and upgrade it with a metal body, reinforced outer barrel, and reinforced mechbox and you got yourself one reliable airsoft gun.
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:32   #47
Homewrecker

When I got my ICS M4 I had the motor replaced with an Eagle right off the bat. I also had a PDI 120 installed along with bushings, gears ,etc.

The guns fires quite smoothly & quietly thanks to the Eagle motor. With the 120 it chronied at 342. I'm having a 150 put in right now so I'll see how that goes.

I never really noticed a problem with the Hi Cap.

If I remember correctly, mine shot around 265-270 right out of the box - maybe even a little higher.
Old June 24th, 2005, 15:04   #48
the end

thanks man, im ordering a ics m4 soon and that helps alot
the end is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 15:25   #49
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Well after owning my ICS M4 for a while, two things popped up;

Perhaps it's just my rifle, but it took an excessive amount of playing around with the shimming to get it working to the point of being gameable - where out of the box it would fire 15-30 rounds then stop, hit forward assist, 30 rounds, stop etc, now it runs silky smooth.

Reciever - I have no clue what they made the reciever out of, but I don't think it's aluminum - after dropping my m4 during a night game, the lower snapped in two behind the rear reciever pin. Gun still works fine, just have no slither stock now..

I got in touch with ICS and they requested pics of the damage for their R&D boys, never heard back, but hopefully they do something about the material they use.

Trying to get a new lower reciever is like pulling teeth, but hopefully will have one in a month or two ...

Overall, I'm impressed with the ICS M4, most especially with the split gearbox design, but when I look at the amount of money I have sunk into it, if I had to do it again I would choose a G&G SPR or a good 'ole TM with an aftermarket body...
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 15:35   #50
F34N0R

Send a message via MSN to F34N0R
i've put in my ICS m4 a pdi 170% and metal bushing, reinforced systema gear using a 9.6V 1700mah bat.

From what i know, theres no problem firing with it. My only concern is the rate of fire which i thought would be faster, but works like a charm, i luv the sound of it, makes noise !!!

Anyone have put a G&P RAS Free Floating set on ICS yet? i bought one and havent received it yet.
Old July 9th, 2005, 00:37   #51
F34N0R

Send a message via MSN to F34N0R
Update :

G&P RAS free Floating set works on ICS M4. BUT, if you have original hop-up you need to reduce the tabs to make it fit. Otherwise ... its solid rock!
Old August 24th, 2005, 21:08   #52
ert

Hey Kokanee, there's someone on here parting out an ICS M4 and they're selling a lower reciever...

Found the link:
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=16715

or pm mthead

My Old ASC Buy/Sell Rating
ert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 01:56   #53
ICS

Very nice to know you guys examination so much about ICS products .
Hope you have enjoy it .
At moment we are searching for a distributor in Canada .
We suppose to find a distributor with good technic and satisfying customer service .

Thnaks you guys support .
ICS
ICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 06:47   #54
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS
Very nice to know you guys examination so much about ICS products .
Hope you have enjoy it .
At moment we are searching for a distributor in Canada .
We suppose to find a distributor with good technic and satisfying customer service .

Thnaks you guys support .
ICS

You mentioned this in previous correspondance and I forwarded your contact info along to someone whom the community considers very reliable. It would be great to have a dist. here in country for ICS.
Old October 27th, 2005, 19:36   #55
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Performance update time...

Within the last month my m4 has thrown 2 pistons (the last lasting less than 500 rounds)

"hmm" i think to myself, that can't be right...

Received a new area 1000 piston (the previous two were the stock piston and a guarder blue) and since i already had the mechbox open I also installed a guarder sp100 just to get off the PDI wagon.

Before installation i completely stripped and degreased the upper mechbox - and i noticed something i hadn't before when the rail guides had grease in them - bumps and a few small voids. A few raised nodules on the centre rail guides - perhaps the cause of my problems?

I regreased and installed the components first without doing anything about the rail guide problem, and everything worked alright, good but not great ROF on auto.

Then I proceeded to disassemble and degreased again, this time though I sanded the rail guides and the casing where the piston travels with 250 thru 1600 grit sandpaper. This left a mirror finish on the inside and completely smoothed out the areas I was concerned about.

After regreasing and reassembly another testfire revealed a HUGE increase in ROF and a decrease in the amount of noise coming from the motor.. So it looks like problem solved!

So just a heads up everyone, next time you crack your upper perhaps degrease and take a good hard look at the bare metal.
Old October 27th, 2005, 20:49   #56
Kid

Kokanee, what version do you own?

I'm looking to get one myself and don't really mind putting money into the internals if needed but I am still interested in knowing if you are refering to the current model (3? 3.5?) or a former one.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 21:17   #57
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

I bought it in February, it's got the Olympic arms trades on it, as for version I don't know.

Problems I have had with this gun come down to one thing - i tried to treat it like a TM AEG - that just doesnt work.
Old November 6th, 2005, 20:11   #58
Kid

Another question, I just ordered an M4 and now I find out it has an orange tip... and no trades other than ICS... why the hell would you use AE in USA as a supplier? :lol:
It was only $555.33 new, shipped to me, so I'm not really complaining.

Anyway, I haven't got it yet, but I've got a game next weekend and I'm wondering, what are the threads on the ICS M4? CCW? CW?

While I'm on that note, does anyone have a stock ICS M4 flash hider they are looking to dump off? Even a AK/P90 one, I couldn't care less, as long as it's not red, fairly cheap and fits.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 23:02   #59
exmilitary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid
Another question, I just ordered an M4 and now I find out it has an orange tip... and no trades other than ICS... why the hell would you use AE in USA as a supplier? :lol:
It was only $555.33 new, shipped to me, so I'm not really complaining.

Anyway, I haven't got it yet, but I've got a game next weekend and I'm wondering, what are the threads on the ICS M4? CCW? CW?

While I'm on that note, does anyone have a stock ICS M4 flash hider they are looking to dump off? Even a AK/P90 one, I couldn't care less, as long as it's not red, fairly cheap and fits.
$555? For a US model? Orange tips aren't required here in Canada, unless things have changed in the past year and I wasn't aware.

As for the price, seems kinda high. I just bought my second ICS M4 this week, but the RIS variant for $599... from a Canadian dealer here in Alberta... SO a few extra goodies for 50 mor ethan you paid, mind you I bought my last ICS M4 for $700 last year...different supplier...

exmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 00:05   #60
mcguyver

you guys probably got them from the same retailer. i think Kid got his from gp and there was probably freight and gst.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews