TM 5.1 Hi-Capa - cannot engage safety

:

Doctor's Corner

Old May 1st, 2009, 13:42   #16
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Donut View Post
Yep, I think you're right. I've slid the o-ring back down the blow-back unit. Is it in the right place now?
Yup that was the problem. You'll want to put it in the groove at the end. You'll want to lube it so that doesn't happen, it was probably completely dry or something. Or you have to get a smaller/tighter oring.

Should work fine now.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 13:46   #17
RacingManiac

Personally I've never had this happen to me before, but I've heard its a common issue....

but then I never had mine BBU interface stock for long...

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 14:05   #18
Mister Donut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Yup that was the problem. You'll want to put it in the groove at the end. You'll want to lube it so that doesn't happen, it was probably completely dry or something. Or you have to get a smaller/tighter oring.

Should work fine now.
Cool, thanks! Here's a pic of where the o-ring should be, and I hope this thread can help anyone else who may run into this problem.

The green gas I used when I first got the gun was self-lubing, but then lately I started using propane and it probably got a bit dry. Is it ok to use this silicone lube on the gun?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0501091107.jpg (169.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6220.JPG (474.7 KB, 2 views)
"Pacifism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Last edited by Mister Donut; May 1st, 2009 at 14:16..
Mister Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 14:13   #19
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

You have an old Hi-Capa with the older piston head design. These were prone to having o-ring blow outs like you are experiencing. Newer TM Hi-Capas have a piston "cup" design which eliminates the problem. It was switched when the 4.3 hit the market.

Switch to an aftermarket piston head setup to eliminate the chance of it happening again. Once it happens, it will happen more and more frequently until you swap the part out.

I have some cheaper ones ($8) that use a high quality German o-ring in stock if you don't want to spring for a fancy schmancy one. Can ship anywhere in Canada for $10 via lettermail.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 14:39   #20
Mister Donut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
You have an old Hi-Capa with the older piston head design. These were prone to having o-ring blow outs like you are experiencing. Newer TM Hi-Capas have a piston "cup" design which eliminates the problem. It was switched when the 4.3 hit the market.

Switch to an aftermarket piston head setup to eliminate the chance of it happening again. Once it happens, it will happen more and more frequently until you swap the part out.

I have some cheaper ones ($8) that use a high quality German o-ring in stock if you don't want to spring for a fancy schmancy one. Can ship anywhere in Canada for $10 via lettermail.
I'm still new to airsoft. I'll read up a bit about piston heads in the upgrade section and see what I should do. Fancy or plain....not sure yet.
"Pacifism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Last edited by Mister Donut; May 1st, 2009 at 14:43..
Old May 1st, 2009, 16:19   #21
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Basically, the "fancy" ones are ventilated and made of metal. Other than that, they can't get much more fancy. The cheap ones I'm selling are made of some synthetic material - I'm guessing nylon/Delrin. The o-rings used are stronger than the Japanese ones, so they're not as likely to blow out of the groove.
Old May 1st, 2009, 18:33   #22
Mister Donut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Basically, the "fancy" ones are ventilated and made of metal. Other than that, they can't get much more fancy. The cheap ones I'm selling are made of some synthetic material - I'm guessing nylon/Delrin. The o-rings used are stronger than the Japanese ones, so they're not as likely to blow out of the groove.
I'm a sucker for fancy. But it seems I need to change a bunch of other stuff before I can reap the benefits of just changing to a ventilated metal piston head right?
Old May 2nd, 2009, 17:07   #23
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Donut View Post
I'm a sucker for fancy. But it seems I need to change a bunch of other stuff before I can reap the benefits of just changing to a ventilated metal piston head right?
wrong. You can just go directly with the head alone.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner