Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Well L96 worth it? Or VSR-10

:

Newbie Tank

Old May 30th, 2009, 00:06   #1
Eclipse666

Thumbs up Well L96 worth it? Or VSR-10

I am looking for a decent bolt action rifle, and i came across the well l96 on buyairsoft.ca. I was wondering if it was worth the 100$ more compared to the vsr-10, mauri clone. Just straight up which one you think is better. I am not planning on sinking 1000$ into either, i'm just going to use them stock. No competition, just skirmish's with my friends in the woods etc.

And please, before you tell me to get my age verified, well i can't as i am 17 and am planning on getting into airsoft once i hit 18.
Also, i have read enough posts to know that you will all tell me to get an AEG as my first gun. i have tried sniping and and AEG, and i find sniping more satisfying than using an AEG. If your wondering how i have tried it, i have a friend who has the tf 16 and the swiss arms black eagle m6 s. I know, not competition grade.

If you all could just give me your opinion on which is better VSR-10, or L96, no upgrades, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks A lot

P.S. a little advice on the tf11 from airgunsource.com as a secondary weapon would also be appreciated, for those situations when i'm out gunned by the AEGs. Thanks again
Eclipse666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 00:21   #2
theguy

honestly? neither, if your 17 now, wait a few months till your 18 so you can buy something real. Both of those guns are a waste of your money IMO

also, buyairsft.ca quotes both of them as shooting 475ish FPS.

Not only will this not be alowed for field use, its borderline dangerous... No one needs that much FPS, its just gonna wreck your already cheap gun faster

Chinese proverb

Last edited by theguy; May 30th, 2009 at 00:23..
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 00:23   #3
Thenooblord
Can't fix my own guns. Willing to fix yours.

Send a message via MSN to Thenooblord
dunno bout the snipers but i did used to have a TF11
Its a great gun but only for very short distances like 20-30 feet, because it has no hopup, you could probably make your own makeshift hopup if you had the energy though or found another barrel that fits and can fit a hopup rubber on it, either way, great kick, great sound, great rate of fire

Words to live by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
The apartment I am in right now costs $100 a month.
My average spending on food per day is less than $4.
My airsoft spending in the last month and a half has totaled over $1400.
They're called priorities. Get yourself some.
Thenooblord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 00:24   #4
Eclipse666

ok, thanks about the tf 11, i doubt ill make hopup. what about gas usage, is it decent. i know on auto it sucks, but semi? and does anyone know a dealer that sells better guns than the afore mentioned, as they seem to be waste of my money

Last edited by Eclipse666; May 30th, 2009 at 00:27..
Old May 30th, 2009, 00:28   #5
Ashton

I'm with Guy on this. Wait and get age verified. A few months really isn't that long. Plus 475 FPS in a backyard battle is probably going to be (very) dangerous.
Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 00:38   #6
theguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse666 View Post
ok, thanks about the tf 11, i doubt ill make hopup. what about gas usage, is it decent. i know on auto it sucks, but semi? and does anyone know a dealer that sells better guns than the afore mentioned, as they seem to be waste of my money
Sure, there are lots of retailers for just about any gun you want. But most of them are on this sites classfieds, and to access them, you must be age verrified

Chinese proverb
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:08   #7
MrRiches

Well I agree with the other guys.. get age verified and don't buy those guns. But I have seen the L96 in action. My friend has been using it for 2-3 years now and its worked just fine. I've been hit in the top of the head from over 200 feet on numerous occasions. I don't mind it but I wouldn't wanna buy it just for the reason that its cheap plastic and it really does fire way to fast.
And I have no idea about the VSR-10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse666 View Post
I am looking for a decent bolt action rifle, and i came across the well l96 on buyairsoft.ca. I was wondering if it was worth the 100$ more compared to the vsr-10, mauri clone. Just straight up which one you think is better. I am not planning on sinking 1000$ into either, i'm just going to use them stock. No competition, just skirmish's with my friends in the woods etc.

And please, before you tell me to get my age verified, well i can't as i am 17 and am planning on getting into airsoft once i hit 18.
Also, i have read enough posts to know that you will all tell me to get an AEG as my first gun. i have tried sniping and and AEG, and i find sniping more satisfying than using an AEG. If your wondering how i have tried it, i have a friend who has the tf 16 and the swiss arms black eagle m6 s. I know, not competition grade.

If you all could just give me your opinion on which is better VSR-10, or L96, no upgrades, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks A lot

P.S. a little advice on the tf11 from airgunsource.com as a secondary weapon would also be appreciated, for those situations when i'm out gunned by the AEGs. Thanks again
MrRiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:24   #8
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

no guns for kids
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:41   #9
Eclipse666

i was planning on using .25 to .3 gram bbs. i don't want to hurt anybody... i think that reduces the fps to about 425-450...
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:08   #10
L473ncy

What about the energy stored in it?

So you're saying if I threw a whiffle ball at you at 400 FPS it would hurt more than if I threw a regulation baseball at you at 100 FPS?

400 FPS is the general maximum's across Canada and that's on .20's nothing else. After you do your initial chrono with .20's you can use anything else you want. Alternatively some places will let you chrono with .25's or .3's and you must have velocities below ~360 and 330 respectively (below 1.49 Joules).

You need to take some physics. Honestly.
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:02   #11
Eclipse666

first of all, you example doesn't make sense, a wiffle ball looses all of its energy extremely fast, and the faster you throw it, the faster its energy is dissipated because of air, because air, like water, resists more, the more you push.
For example, getting a car going 90kph takes less energy than getting it to go from 90 to 120, because the faster you go, the resistance of the air goes up exponentially.

a wiffle ball has little mass, thus little inertia when moving, so it can't keep its speed, or energy for very long. so no, i am not saying that. .. even though the energy contained within the two bbs is the same, the .2g bb would loose all of that energy very quickly, and just float with no accuracy, while the .25 or .3 would slowly loose its energy over a longer distance. since the l96 is a sniper rifle, i am not planing on shooting from very close, so a heavier bb would get to the target, and in the process, lose enough energy to make it less dangerous than shooting a lighter bb faster and closer
no need to get snippy

Last edited by Eclipse666; May 30th, 2009 at 11:10..
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:21   #12
L473ncy

I was just hammering the point in I know it's an extreme example.

Pay close attention to the MED's (Minimum Engagement Distance). It's not fun to get shot at very close with an upgraded sniper rifle. In fact I've been told it's akin to having a rock thrown at you.

Also fact is I don't think they're shooting that high in the first place anyways (probably 425 max). A quick $12 spring change will fix that however.
Old May 30th, 2009, 22:23   #13
NoGear
likes being humiliated

the tf 11 is great max range is about 70 ft. the problem with it is that my mag leaks and feeds poorly now but i think silicone oil will fix all that.
NoGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 22:44   #14
G36Maniac

Let make an example about physic but in simpler therm that everybody will understand.
We got two cars, one SUV and one standart Sedan. I drive my sedan at 50kph in a wall and destroy that wall. Then I do it at 30 kph with the SUV and attain the same result. Why, because of the weight of the vehicle. While the SUV is slower, its still does as much damage. This is due to the two factors that influence kinetic energy which are speed and weight. In airsoft, shooting any kind of ammo with one gun will produce the same amount of energy since the spring transfert energy to the BB and not speed.
G36Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 22:47   #15
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

which is heavier a ton of bricks or a ton of pillows?

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank