Fun with ballistics: Crosman S34P Stinger shotgun

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old November 18th, 2009, 18:33   #1
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Fun with ballistics: Crosman S34P Stinger shotgun

Did some testing with my new Stinger today, since previously I only tried out .12g BBs, but since I had the various BB weights at hand and a not too windy distance to shoot, I decided to run through ammo to see what BB weight was ideal for this gun (with some surprising results). Obviously, it's a clone of the TM Benelli M3 shottie, so that means it's likely the hop up is set for 0.25g BBs. I didn't have the time to chrony or anything, but just ran a shell's worth of each BB weight (except 0.28g) through it, and watched for range and spread. Here are my observations:

0.12g - Obviously way too light, BBs get to about 80ft then start searching for overflying airplanes.

0.20g - Still too light, would get about 100ft and climb, spread was maybe on average about 3ft by the time they started arcing upwards.

0.25g - Tighter grouping farther out, was getting about a 2ft spread at about 130ft, and oddly enough, I noticed more times than not, the BB from the upper barrel would overhop a bit while the others gently dropped.

And the kicker: Since I couldn't find my bag of 0.28g from the last game I used them at, and knowing there is next to no fps drop from 0.28g to 0.30g (Bastards, from the ballistics testing I did last year)), I decided to load up a shell of 0.30g and see what they do. Well no freaking shit, easy 130ft range with decent velocity, a spread of about 2ft (top barrel still overhops a bit)!!! So here we have a fully gamable clearsoft gun, for $120 (unless on sale), that is able to plant medium heavy sniper BBs onto a person out to at least 130ft.

I can only imagine what using 0.36g in the woods would yeild. I know the range would likely drop by about 10ft minimum, but the ability to punch through brush would be outstanding!!
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 18:43   #2
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Another fun fact: those one-shot Walmart shotguns are long-range nail drivers with 0.28 BB's.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 18:46   #3
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Another fun fact: those one-shot Walmart shotguns are long-range nail drivers with 0.28 BB's.
I have one as well but haven't fielded it yet, nor have I tried 0.28g in it yet. I shall though, thanks for the update. I bought it really only to have some fun shooting with my 6 year old son and maybe game it someday, but now I might have to run it as a close in sniper "rifle" (have an RDS mounted to it currently) for indoor fun. Hehe, what range are you talking about anyways?
Old November 18th, 2009, 19:03   #4
The Lettonian
a.k.a. FNG_13

Send a message via Skype™ to The Lettonian
Almost comparable to a medium-sized AEG, if I remember correctly. We used to have one guy who rocked the shotty....you may have actually run into him, Stalker. Big bearded guy...had a TM Benelli M3 Super 90 when he went to Ottawa, but rocked the walmart springer before that.
|: Nos habebit humus! :|
Raug, draugi, kā šī kanna mirdz, kā puto alutiņš? Dievs zin, cik ilgi līksmo sirds, lai baudām drīz!
The Lettonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 19:28   #5
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG_13 View Post
Almost comparable to a medium-sized AEG, if I remember correctly. We used to have one guy who rocked the shotty....you may have actually run into him, Stalker. Big bearded guy...had a TM Benelli M3 Super 90 when he went to Ottawa, but rocked the walmart springer before that.
Only recall one bearded guy running a shotty from out of town, forget his name but he was about the same size as me (6ft, 170lbs). Let's just say the guy I'm talking about earned himself a reputation around here, and not in a good way (bulletproof....... EDIT: I should add he guy I'm thinking of is from Toronto, had long hair in a pony tail, and by bulletproof I mean reacting to hits, coming back up to shoot some more, a few teamamtes at one point hit him with well over a dozen rounds form a few guns while he hide behind a skinny tree, showed obvious signs of getting hit repeatedly, yet kept wanting to shoot back) after about 4 local games.

I'm looking forward to using this gun often, have it set up with a bungee cord "sling" to sit on my left side (grip forward in cross-draw fashion), looking for a stock for it. And I'm actually likely going to try avoiding my MP5s as much as I can next year, has gotten boring using AEGs, I had the most fun this year GBB and M24 only, and racked up lots of kills that way. The challenge I crave, not the AEG use.

Last edited by CDN_Stalker; November 18th, 2009 at 22:46..
Old November 18th, 2009, 20:09   #6
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
Hehe, what range are you talking about anyways?
More than my TM Hicapa. About 2/3 or even the full range of my 380fps TM AUG.

Yeah, fricking crazy...

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 20:15   #7
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
More than my TM Hicapa. About 2/3 or even the full range of my 380fps TM AUG.

Yeah, fricking crazy...
Was thinking of feet, but I guess I'll have to test it out myself. Am glad it has adjustable hop up on it, and also it's now sounding like a "sleeper" gun, one that'll get laughed at until you start making surgical shots with it. Stalker likes!
Old November 18th, 2009, 20:29   #8
KoolAidMan

Quote:
Was thinking of feet, but I guess I'll have to test it out myself. Am glad it has adjustable hop up on it, and also it's now sounding like a "sleeper" gun, one that'll get laughed at until you start making surgical shots with it. Stalker likes!
My buddy got multiply kills and even won a game using the clear crossman single shot similarr to the tac 1 but just without the stock gave ackbar a bleeder with .12 using it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusangani View Post
lol why is it that every single fucking underaged kid that comes thru here happens to have some private land to play on when accused of playing in public
KoolAidMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 20:42   #9
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAidMan View Post
My buddy got multiply kills and even won a game using the clear crossman single shot similarr to the tac 1 but just without the stock gave ackbar a bleeder with .12 using it!!!!
Nice. Actually, speaking of 0.12g, I'm going to do with this what I do with my MP5s, load the first dozen rounds as red .12g (in the shotgun's case, the first three) and use that as tracers, reload indicators. Works VERY well in my MP5s, and I've even gotten some surprise kills with it. No one ever calls hit from a dry fire. Lol
Old November 18th, 2009, 20:45   #10
Jimski

and it makes your kit so much lighter!
Old November 18th, 2009, 20:52   #11
KoolAidMan

Quote:
Nice. Actually, speaking of 0.12g, I'm going to do with this what I do with my MP5s, load the first dozen rounds as red .12g (in the shotgun's case, the first three) and use that as tracers, reload indicators. Works VERY well in my MP5s, and I've even gotten some surprise kills with it. No one ever calls hit from a dry fire. Lol
sounds brilliant do yu know anywhere that sell decent ones that won''t chew my hopup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusangani View Post
lol why is it that every single fucking underaged kid that comes thru here happens to have some private land to play on when accused of playing in public
KoolAidMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 20:55   #12
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski View Post
and it makes your kit so much lighter!
Fuck ya! Don't need to deal with my chest rig, more so since I will be running my new MK23 GBB full time til I get at least one G19 fixed and trustworthy (four mags vs. nine mags for my 19), and I love running with bare basics, close range mixed with long range, and not having a half dozen mags on me plus GBB mags means I can run faster, get through brush faster and quieter....... ya man! You played at Mirabel Paintball (think it's called Action something?) Last game I ran the entire thing with my Mk23 and M24, not a single shot fired from my MP5 (largely left at respawn.) And I did damned good with them too.
Old November 18th, 2009, 21:09   #13
sarosh

Quote:
My buddy got multiply kills and even won a game using the clear crossman single shot similarr to the tac 1 but just without the stock
my buddy also used this when he had problems with his aeg. this is actually really good. and he got a lot of kills with it, kinda regret selling it to him lol.
sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 21:51   #14
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
sounds brilliant do yu know anywhere that sell decent ones that won''t chew my hopup?
I have been getting the Red Eagle (I think that's the brand name) ones from Walmart the past few years, never had any issues with them at all and have run them through various guns (I used to load my sniper rifles and pistols with them for the first few rounds too, then just went with using for my AEGs).
Old November 18th, 2009, 23:24   #15
The Lettonian
a.k.a. FNG_13

Send a message via Skype™ to The Lettonian
Quote:
Only recall one bearded guy running a shotty from out of town, forget his name but he was about the same size as me (6ft, 170lbs). Let's just say the guy I'm talking about earned himself a reputation around here, and not in a good way (bulletproof....... EDIT: I should add he guy I'm thinking of is from Toronto, had long hair in a pony tail, and by bulletproof I mean reacting to hits, coming back up to shoot some more, a few teamamtes at one point hit him with well over a dozen rounds form a few guns while he hide behind a skinny tree, showed obvious signs of getting hit repeatedly, yet kept wanting to shoot back) after about 4 local games.

I'm looking forward to using this gun often, have it set up with a bungee cord "sling" to sit on my left side (grip forward in cross-draw fashion), looking for a stock for it. And I'm actually likely going to try avoiding my MP5s as much as I can next year, has gotten boring using AEGs, I had the most fun this year GBB and M24 only, and racked up lots of kills that way. The challenge I crave, not the AEG use.
That would be him.

Although from his side of the story there was a dip behind the tree he was in...but that's another story for another time. In short, he ran a shotgun and it shot pretty far and accurate.
|: Nos habebit humus! :|
Raug, draugi, kā šī kanna mirdz, kā puto alutiņš? Dievs zin, cik ilgi līksmo sirds, lai baudām drīz!

Last edited by The Lettonian; November 18th, 2009 at 23:26..
The Lettonian is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications