Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Important info regarding airsoft, BC bill 4, and firearms prohibtions

:

General

Old April 11th, 2021, 13:49   #1
Snerpydoodle

Important info regarding airsoft, BC bill 4, and firearms prohibtions

A few days ago in BC, the firearms violence prevention act was passed into first reading this bill covers a lot of different subjects, from stricter record keeping for gun ranges, making it illegal to shoot from a boat (not sure what prompted this having to be put into law) and numerous things regarding airsoft.

The main points being talked about are the fact that minors will now not be able to directly buy airsoft guns or bbs without a parent present, and minors who are transporting airsoft guns must do so in a locked case unloaded, laws against using guns or playing airsoft in public, charges for people who "create a public disturbance" with airsoft and other things that may potentially be irritating but still allow people to play airsoft, however what Im most fired up about is this section.

(2) A person must not possess a low-velocity firearm or imitation firearm if, by order under the Criminal Code or the Youth Criminal Justice Act (Canada), the person is prohibited from possessing any of the following:

(a) a non-restricted firearm, prohibited firearm or restricted firearm;

(b) a cross-bow within the meaning of section 84 (1) of the Criminal Code;

(c) a prohibited weapon or restricted weapon within the meaning of section 84 (1) of the Criminal Code;

(d) a prohibited device;

(e) ammunition or prohibited ammunition;

(f) an explosive substance within the meaning of section 2 of the Criminal Code.

Now you may be asking, what is the big deal, Well I am a former heroin addict, I have been clean since oct 4, 2015, I have also had an interest in the shooting sports and airsoft for as long as ive known either has existed. Due to getting roped up in a drug charge situation where the police didnt suggest charges but the crown came after me 11 months into a 12 month statue of limitations I was subject, like many people who commit drug offenses or other relatively minor crimes, to a 10 year non-restricted and LIFETIME restricted firearms prohibition, this is a MANDATORY part of many charges in Canada. But firearms prohibitions can also be handed down in situations where no charges are handed down or the person has even been acquitted of charges as they can be passed down in a seperate firearms hearing.

This means that if this law passes unchanged I effectively now also have a lifetime ban from ever legally posessing an airsoft gun but in a few years can still apply to hold a non-restricted firearms license which is some of the dumbest and most poorly thought out legislation I have ever seen. There are people who have firearms prohibitions, some of which may even be legally allowed to own non-restricted firearms who will now become criminals overnight for possessing an airsoft gun. As far as I can tell the bill does not lay out any charges for this offense but if it is treated as a violation of the federal firearms prohibition this is a VERY SERIOUS OFFENSE.

There are im sure, countless people, who may have had some sort of criminal charge which in many cases is something drug related, non violent, mental health related who have been handed a mandatory lifetime restricted firearms prohibition, maybe DECADES ago, who may now go to prison because they did not keep up to date on current laws and the police saw an airsoft gun in their house, pulled them over with it, or perhaps were unaware of the new laws regarding "public disturbances" get the police called on their own property and now are also finding themself in violation of their firearms prohibition and may end up going to prison and even having things like probation revoked.

Needless to say I am very fired up about this since I am now in a battle on both a provincial and federal level and to be honest if it wasnt for my criminal record, I would probably be looking at leaving the country with the way things have been headed here, however I am completely unfamiliar with the political process, I have been intending to do what I can to support the federal fight but I feel like in regards to this provincial issue at hand most of the people effected by this probably don't even know about it and it is reopening lots of old wounds and past trauma for me regarding the impact decisions made in my addiction have effected my passions in life.

Where do I start, who do I talk to, what do I do to try to get this changed?

Last edited by Snerpydoodle; April 11th, 2021 at 13:59..
Snerpydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2021, 16:55   #2
RainyEyes

Please do not disclosure personal history and consult a legal professional.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2021, 20:50   #3
Snerpydoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyEyes View Post
Please do not disclosure personal history and consult a legal professional.
Yes I was just sharing something I felt was very important for people who may own airsoft guns but also have a firearms prohibition as if this passes they may end up in prison for getting pulled over on their way to the field because they got a drug conviction 10,20, 30 years ago. And that someone using an airsoft gun on their own property may end up being arrested.
Snerpydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General