Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Full Metal Guns in Canada

:

Newbie Tank

Old July 20th, 2009, 02:16   #1
holycannoli

Full Metal Guns in Canada

I don't know if somethign regarding this has been posted yet or not, but I just discovered it. A while back I posted asking about getting a full metal gun in Canada and was basically told that it was (for the most part) illegal. Bear with me if this is old hat to you guys, just thought I'd psot it anyways.

EDIT: A good alternative to getting age verified.

I was bored and was looking through airsoft websites, though, and was surprised to see the words "Canadian Legal" on the same page as the words "Full Metal Gas Guns." 007airsoft.com has started selling KJW airsoft guns that have clear grips. Some guns have clear handles on the frames also, but the 1911 has only clear grips which can probably be replaced with relative ease. Apparently, only the gribs need to be clear in order to conform to Canadian laws, and they don't need to be perfectly clear either - very dark semi-clear gribs seem to be fine.

So...under KJW on this page...'Canadian Legal.'

I'll be buying a 1911 soon and hopefully replace the clear grips with some pachmayr american legend grips (if it's at all possible).

The only downfall is that the guns are uber expensive. Here's the page with all of the guns available in Canada...1911 (Hi Capa), m9 and m92, a ruger, and some glocks.

And, just to be awesome, here's a sweet picture with little relevance (except for the fact that the gun has clear grips).

Last edited by holycannoli; July 20th, 2009 at 02:34..
holycannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:19   #2
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

full metal guns are only illegal to import not to own if they are already "in country" get age-verified and you will find a classifieds section full of metal and all black guns!
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:19   #3
theguy

Read all the FAQs man, Twice...

IT will shed alot of light on the situation here.

Basically, airsoft is legal to own, but not to import unless you have the proper liceneces. bassically the only way you can access the stores is to get age verrified here, and shop the classifieds here. Heads up though, be prepared to pay 2-3 times what you see on american sites :\

Good luck, and welcome

EDIT:

also, the 1911 and the high-capa arn't the same gun. High-capas are actually 2011's... its complicated.

Chinese proverb
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:28   #4
Lakonian
kos

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguy View Post

EDIT:

also, the 1911 and the high-capa arn't the same gun. High-capas are actually 2011's... its complicated.
Not complicated at all.

Any 1911 variant with THREE major components (action [slide/barrel/etc], frame, grip) is a 2011. Any 1911 variant with 2 major components (action, frame) is a 1911.

2011s use double stacked magazines, 1911s use single stack.

</digression>
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:30   #5
theguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kos View Post
Not complicated at all.

Any 1911 variant with THREE major components (action [slide/barrel/etc], frame, grip) is a 2011. Any 1911 variant with 2 major components (action, frame) is a 1911.

2011s use double stacked magazines, 1911s use single stack.

</digression>
Hmm, i thought there was more to it then that.

Chinese proverb
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:31   #6
holycannoli

Right, well...whatever. I think it's useful for anybody who doesn't want to go through the hassle of getting age-verified here. It's not worth finding a representative and meeting them. This is a better alternative IMO. I'd rather pay 2x than 2-3x plus US conversion rates.

And I'm googling the 2011 now...*needs to learn more*
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:32   #7
Lakonian
kos

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguy View Post
Hmm, i thought there was more to it then that.
Well, there is, kinda. But it's not really noteworthy. Those are the main differences.
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:37   #8
theguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycannoli View Post
Right, well...whatever. I think it's useful for anybody who doesn't want to go through the hassle of getting age-verified here. It's not worth finding a representative and meeting them. This is a better alternative IMO. I'd rather pay 2x than 2-3x plus US conversion rates.

?? To be honest, the first thing that most of us think when a noob is "too lazy" or "its not worth it" to get AV'ed is that they are 14.

Basically, if your really that impatient, you might want to reconsider taking up this sport.

Chinese proverb
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:39   #9
holycannoli

Airsoft isn't a sport to me...paintball is. I'm considering buying an airsoft gun just to play around with. It's worth it if your'e into airsoft as a sport, but I'm not too big on it. Nobody to do it with here; everybody paintballs instead. I'll stick with my X7 for a serious sport...and no, I'm not 14.
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:41   #10
theguy

Well, its completly up to you, and if your happy with a half clear KJW, then by all means, buy it, but a TM high-capa (full black) usually goes for about 300 bucks on the classifieds, Thats probably about what you will have to pay for your half-clear lower quality gun by the time you add shipping and tax

Chinese proverb
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:43   #11
Frozen Tex

2011 is a made-up name for a gun (or line of guns) made by STI; essentially a squared-off. chunky, futuristic looking double-stack 1911. As far as I've seen, no other "real-steel" manufacturer refers to their double-stack 1911 products as 2011s. Try Googling "2011 guns" and the first page will only reference STI or airsoft guns.

Sorry, it just bugs me, all the talk of "Hicapas" and "2011"s. These are model names for a few specific items that seem to have become catch-all terms, like Kleenex instead of facial tissue, or ***** instead of photocopier.

Mini-rant over.

Delenda Est Carthago
Frozen Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:45   #12
holycannoli

I'm fine with KJW to be honest...the grips are the only clear bit on the Hi Capa, and I'd most likely replace them. I'd gladly take a TM first, but not if it involves me driving an hour to meet somebody to verify my age (considering I'm not using it for serious sporting). And what's all this 2011 BS...let's just go with "1911 style gun." It's generic, like "ketchup-like spread" and "frozen treat."

Last edited by holycannoli; July 20th, 2009 at 02:48..
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:48   #13
theguy

Well, do what you want, its your money, but TM guns will last longer, perform better, and require less maintinance then KJ works guns

Chinese proverb
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:50   #14
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

Quote:

Quote:
Airsoft isn't a sport to me...paintball is. I'm considering buying an airsoft gun just to play around with. It's worth it if your'e into airsoft as a sport, but I'm not too big on it. Nobody to do it with here; everybody paintballs instead. I'll stick with my X7 for a serious sport...and no, I'm not 14.
If you are too lazy to meet up with someone, how will you find time to get out to games? If you only want the gun to "play around with" then we are not interested in helping you unless you specify what you consider playing around.

If you want it to play in your backyard or somewhere that you might be spotted weilding a realistic replica firearm, then the answer is NO do not do it, we care about this sport, even if you do not and we do not want people exposing it to negative publicity.
Old July 20th, 2009, 03:00   #15
Bowers

Send a message via MSN to Bowers
Quote:
And what's all this 2011 BS...let's just go with "1911 style gun." It's generic, like "ketchup-like spread" and "frozen treat."
*the following is personal opinion and i look forward to feed back from people educated on this topic and Kos forgive any terminology fuckups im very tired*

they are different enough to warrant it

a Model 1911 is a single stack single action semiautomatic pistol

these "2011" models if one chooses to call them that are double stack single action semiautomatic pistols and dissasemble in three pieces as opposed to two on a 1911

now if one were for example a 1911 purist than to them a 1911 sticks to the formula of being a single stack single action and to some being chambered in .45 ACP

so as far as im concerned they essentially can be classified as their own firearm

there is a very good video on this subject on youtube by a user named limalife i will may post it later
Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank