Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

BB question

:

Accessories Discussion

Old April 5th, 2009, 00:00   #1
Erennert
A minor, using dad's ID

BB question

Hey all, just a quick question. I currently have a CYMA AKs-74u and a JG MP5SD5, both bone stock. Both are awesome and I'm currently using .28's and love the accuracy. A friend recently told me that I should use a lower weight such as .25's. Both guns shoot roughly 350-380 FPS with .20's. Now my question is, wouldn't it be the best to use the heaviest BB you can for range and accuracy? Both are BB Bastards. What are the negative sides of using "too heavy" BB's besides FPS drop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
I'm a sniper.

Because I'm fat and can't run fast.
Erennert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 00:04   #2
Skladfin

Too heavy = lower range. 0.28g isn't "TOO" heavy. What you are using right now is good.

try out different things, and I really feel like a broken record here, but go ahead and try Metal Tech 0.25gs if you are so curious about weight differences.

I don't know about your accuracy standards(And I really don't know how accurate your gun is when you say you "Love" the accuracy), but mine is pretty high. If I don't get under 1.5 inch grouping @ 40 feet with an AEG I basically toss it away.

Half your accuracy comes from your gun, and the other from the BB, and with all these experience I'm saying that Metal Techs are the best BBs for AEGs out there(And I've tried BB Bastards 0.20 all the way to 0.30g BBs).
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 00:07   #3
Erennert
A minor, using dad's ID

That was what I was thinking. Since the .25's are a bit cheaper, and if they give you the same results, why not right? And just curious, why are Metal Tech better than BBBastards?

Quote:
I'm a sniper.

Old April 5th, 2009, 00:13   #4
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
.28s are better. Stalker did extensive testing to find this out. they have the best all around; range, accuracy, kinetic energy on impact and bush penetration. I use .25s simply because they are cheaper and a close second to the best.
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 00:14   #5
Erennert
A minor, using dad's ID

So .28's hands down in any AEG?

Quote:
I'm a sniper.

Old April 5th, 2009, 00:19   #6
KND
* AV revoked *

BBs Bastard is all the way.

I got an issue feeding with my PTW when I was using Metal Tech, after the whole day finding issue, changing magazines, changing feed lip on the magazines, set the hop up...etc.. and it's still didn't work. I almost gave up but after switching to BBs Bastard .30 g that I save for my GBB then the feeding issue on my PTW has been solved. So BBs Bastard is all the way.

KND

KND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 00:19   #7
Skladfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erennert View Post
That was what I was thinking. Since the .25's are a bit cheaper, and if they give you the same results, why not right? And just curious, why are Metal Tech better than BBBastards?
I'm really not neccesarily saying that MT is better than BBB. The thing is, I'm an accuracy freak, and MT gives me the best accuracy.

*I speak from experience here, and I don't really need anyone else bugging in

-BBB 0.28g will give you more range than MT 0.25g if your hop up is set correctly. However, BBB 0.25g will give the same range as MT 0.25g. That's fairly obvious.

-BBB feeds better than MT BBs. This is because MT's BB diametre is 5.98mm, which is fairly damn large. MTs are known to break inside PTW hop ups due to their size. AK hop up units has very nice clearance so you don't need to worry about feeding.

-MT's internal airbubble is ALWAYS perfectly centred or non-existant

-MT's extrerior is near perfect, while BBB from what I've seen has micro dimbles on its surface.

Take look at this article:
http://www.airsoftmechanics.com/home...nt/view/19/26/

it's an accuracy testing of basically all BBs you can find. They don't test BBB but they do test Airsoft Elite BBs(Which are Metal Tech BBs, they are rebrands).

Test result: Best Accuracy/Consistency = Marushin Maxi BBs. 2nd Best Accuracy/Consistency = Airsoft Elite(Metal Tech)

this is like out of 15 brands that they test, and Airsoft Elite beat TM and Excell BBs.

Last edited by Skladfin; April 5th, 2009 at 00:32..
Old April 5th, 2009, 00:21   #8
L473ncy

Before it was .20's were the best, then it was .25's, now we have .28's?

Keeping on this pattern we'll have .30's or .32's becoming the "standard" weight eventually.

Brandwise, I'd just but one of everything and test them out. See which company you like and run with them.

I actually bought some Firepower .25's the other day and I know one thing for sure, I'm not getting any more of those. (Didn't feed properly in my rifle, or my buddy's PTW, and had chopping issues). Also they're seamless on the outside but not very seamless when we cracked one open, and they had air bubbles and all that.

As of now it looks like I'm either going to be running BB King, Bastards, or Metal Techs exclusively. Testing them all out ATM but I can tell you one thing is that to not get Firepower.
Old April 5th, 2009, 00:24   #9
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Skladfin, would you mind posting up a link to where one could buy some metal techs? All i use is bbb (had mucho trouble with other brands so i stuck with bbb) But after reading your post i'm curiouse to try out some metal techs.
Old April 5th, 2009, 00:30   #10
Skladfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulcrum View Post
Skladfin, would you mind posting up a link to where one could buy some metal techs? All i use is bbb (had mucho trouble with other brands so i stuck with bbb) But after reading your post i'm curiouse to try out some metal techs.

http://www.mtmfg.ca/

or you can PM HellFire directly
Airsoft Canada
Old April 5th, 2009, 00:45   #11
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
If you're not shooting AT LEAST 350, you shouldn't be using 0.28's because they will slow down too much.

0.20 @ 350fps is generally 0.28 @ 290fps

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 00:49   #12
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skladfin View Post

http://www.mtmfg.ca/

or you can PM HellFire directly
Airsoft Canada
Thanks man.

Ouch... little more pricy. I'll need to get a bag and see if the accuracy upgarde is worth the little $ (I'm a budget player)
Thanks again though.

Last edited by AngelusNex; April 5th, 2009 at 00:53..
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:24   #13
johjoh

Send a message via MSN to johjoh
Dont forget looking were the players are suituated as its more worth it for players around the ontario manitoba and quebec area to buy BBB because of less shipping fees, unless you do a pickup, and better for B.C Etc. people to buy metal techs again for shipping, both are great kinds i love them both but since BBB cost me less shipping and total ill stick to those and couple fo KSC's from frank at velocityarms
johjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:26   #14
Donster

if your gun is shooting that high, than .28s only. your friends doesn't know what they are talking about
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:38   #15
kalnaren

This is my opinion, take it or leave it:

If the gun is shooting under 300, use 0.20 or maybe 0.23 if you can find them.
Between 300 and 350, use 0.25's. I was using 0.25's in my stock classic army (315 fps on .20s) and noticed an accuracy and effective range increase, though not by much.

Over 350, use 0.28's. They'll move a little slower, but you'll get nice results.

As for BB's, I used to use the KSC Perfect ones and was really happy with them. Can't find them anymore. Now I use exclusively BB bastards.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion