Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

20 mW Green lasers for ~$70 CAD

:

Accessories Discussion

Old July 12th, 2007, 23:45   #1
Affliction
a.k.a. Fury a.k.a. VipaMave

20 mW Green lasers for ~$70 CAD

Came across Conscript's thread in the classifieds (Selling em for $90 shipped) and did a bit of searching on the web. This site sells them for $58.57 US (A bit more than than $60 CAD after exchange rates) with FREE shipping (Even to Canada). Needless to say I've bought one and a friend has as well.

As far as border fees, I incurred a fee of approximately $10 (I'm assuming added GST / PST) though my friend didn't have any extra duties.

In terms of quality, the laser is quite visible but the aiming rings are not functional (or at least I could not turn them with my hands).

Link here: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5027

*edit* I'll add some pictures of it mounted on my M4 when I get my camera back.
-VM

Last edited by Affliction; July 12th, 2007 at 23:47..
Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 23:54   #2
The Saint

20mW? That's well into the eye-damaging range, isn't it?

A couple weeks back at a night game, I got lasered in the eye across almost the entire length of FR (DL-Kuwait). I don't know what the output was, but it really hurt and scared the crap out of me. I think we need some sort of field limit in Ontario for lasers.
Old July 13th, 2007, 00:24   #3
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
20mW? That's well into the eye-damaging range, isn't it?

A couple weeks back at a night game, I got lasered in the eye across almost the entire length of FR (DL-Kuwait). I don't know what the output was, but it really hurt and scared the crap out of me. I think we need some sort of field limit in Ontario for lasers.
Hmm. This doesn't add up. Wikipedia says Class IIIa lasers are 1-5 mW, not 20. But the site (right on the laser) claims 20 mW.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 00:29   #4
Affliction

People really shouldn't be bringing lasers to games anyways. They're more of a cosmetic detail that some enjoy having. Aside from being dangerous to the eye, a person could just follow the green laser back to your gun and shoot you.

For the most part, its just something fun to play with, even when its not mounted on your gun.
-VM
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:47   #5
Qlong
Division

Are you saying that there is no way of adjusting windage and elevation?
Qlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:42   #6
ancorp
AK Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlong View Post
Are you saying that there is no way of adjusting windage and elevation?
Who in the world said that? Of course you can.
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:08   #7
Ibby

Send a message via ICQ to Ibby
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipaMave View Post
People really shouldn't be bringing lasers to games anyways.
+1!

The look cool factor doesn't equal the liability they create.
Old July 13th, 2007, 16:33   #8
Freedom Fighter

Quote:
Bravo for the post. *claps slowly*
Good for you and the 2 point infraction I gave for your snarky post in the other thread. I removed it but you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Smarten up.
Old July 13th, 2007, 23:49   #9
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

*pouf*!

Last edited by surebet; August 7th, 2007 at 01:32.. Reason: I was an ass, sorry!
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 23:59   #10
Conscript
AKaholic

Nice going there, boycotting and trying to undermine another member?

See, theres a difference in my lasers and these "Dealextreme" ones (though they are the same pictures), my lasers are in country and ready to go, and they probably don't take like 4 weeks to come, or get charged with customs...

I buy my lasers for $70 US each in my case, and if you think Dealextreme or ebay or any other sites out of Canada are cheaper, go with your gut and order, but I am keeping my price firm.

Last edited by Conscript; July 14th, 2007 at 00:02..
Conscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:27   #11
Affliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conscript View Post
Nice going there, boycotting and trying to undermine another member?

See, theres a difference in my lasers and these "Dealextreme" ones (though they are the same pictures), my lasers are in country and ready to go, and they probably don't take like 4 weeks to come, or get charged with customs...

I buy my lasers for $70 US each in my case, and if you think Dealextreme or ebay or any other sites out of Canada are cheaper, go with your gut and order, but I am keeping my price firm.
If I was trying to be an asshole, I could just do what you're doing. I could purchase a bunch off this site and retail them with a $20 mark-up (and a nice $200 profit for every "10 person pre-order). Then you'd have a little competition too.

I received my laser from DX 12 days after ordering which isn't too bad at all. I order hundreds of dollars worth of stuff from the US yearly and CBSA has never imposed a mark-up more than the GST or PST for products less than $100 (Most of the time there is not even any border fees).

Where do you get off on me trying to boycott and undermine you? Finding a cheaper alternative and sharing it with the ASC community?

By the way, if thats the LXGD JG-10A you're selling, it does not come with an IR filter (You claim yours does). The guys at DX confirmed for me that these china-lasers lack IR filters. You shouldn't even be looking at a 20 mW beam without eye protection.
-VM
Old July 15th, 2007, 00:15   #12
Qlong
Division

Hey theres a website which gives some decent info on these higher output green lasers, shows you can take apart an old webcam and use its IR filter to filter out some 80 percent of the outputting IR

http://www.felesmagus.com/pages/lasers-cheap.html

I still wouldn't look into them though.
Qlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 00:29   #13
Gryphon

FWIW, the Manitoba Airsoft Association has banned any laser that is, or is suspected to be, over 5 mW. We have a local laser expert that has a power meter which can determine the true power of these items, and some of these 20 mW lasers are actually closer to 65 mW. Extremely dangerous. I try not to look at the specular reflection of a green laser, never mind into it!
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 00:51   #14
Affliction

Quote:
Hey theres a website which gives some decent info on these higher output green lasers, shows you can take apart an old webcam and use its IR filter to filter out some 80 percent of the outputting IR

http://www.felesmagus.com/pages/lasers-cheap.html

I still wouldn't look into them though.
Great link, I learned quite a bit from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon
FWIW, the Manitoba Airsoft Association has banned any laser that is, or is suspected to be, over 5 mW. We have a local laser expert that has a power meter which can determine the true power of these items, and some of these 20 mW lasers are actually closer to 65 mW. Extremely dangerous. I try not to look at the specular reflection of a green laser, never mind into it!
I would suspect it would be a good idea to simply prohibit lasers in general. A person could have a laser without an IR filter on his gun and nobody would be the wiser.
-VM
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:04   #15
Gryphon

But that's going down that slippery slope that a lot of people don't like. There are many lasers out there that are safe and effective; don't forget we have a very prominent indoor facility here and lasers are not uncommon to use in CQB. Certainly anything American made such as an Insight M6X I would put complete faith in, it's these overpowered cheap Asian lasers bring imported and sold with wrong data markings and dangerous output that are the issue.

Just as in gun control, punishing an entire group because of the actions of one is a poor way of doing things, and especially so if you have the means to correct the offenders. Our laser guy not only can measure laser output, but knows how to tune lasers down using their internal varistors (which most of them have) so their output is at a safe level.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion