Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

How many of you guys use a red dot?

:

Accessories Discussion

Old October 25th, 2015, 14:39   #61
Zfurlong

On my p90, a specter 4x fixed, m4, a red dot, the rest being iron sights. (Other than my barret)
Old October 25th, 2015, 16:14   #62
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelcoof View Post
How would you go about to training harder at night when its pitch black?

To be honest I think Red Dots are useless if there is light available but when its pitch dark with no light and the only other way for you to see is to give your position away by using your tact light... I say that's when a Red Dot comes in handy.
By practicing, using your natural night vision. It's not the easiest thing to do, but considering that humanity has waged war long before the advent of red dots, or portable electricity it can be done. Hell, even with portable electricity, the concept of giving troops optics is a fairly new concept, all considered.

What I read in your comment is a cop-out. You don't want to take the time to train yourself and know your weapon enough to use it in a low light environment without the ease of a red dot, and have clearly just admitted, that to you, the only other option is to not only reveal yourself with White Light, but reveal the location of those around you, as well as destroy their natural nightvision.

Go practice, I've done night shooting, and I'm not talking airsoft. It's more than possible.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 19:43   #63
Datawraith

I've heard of tritium sights for the diopters on MP5s for night-ops use; don't know how good or useful they are though. They should exist for M4s too. (Bear in mind I'm talking real-steel here; will be expensive AF to get them for airsoft.) But yes, Gato is essentially right. Think back to Vietnam; GIs used M16 irons 24/7, rain or shine, night or day.
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 19:51   #64
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datawraith View Post
I've heard of tritium sights for the diopters on MP5s for night-ops use; don't know how good or useful they are though. They should exist for M4s too. (Bear in mind I'm talking real-steel here; will be expensive AF to get them for airsoft.) But yes, Gato is essentially right. Think back to Vietnam; GIs used M16 irons 24/7, rain or shine, night or day.
That is an option, and some guys use glow in the dark paint or other stuff.

Exactly, Vietnam, WWI, WWII, Spanish American War, and pretty much every other conflict pre-GWOT, including the first Gulf War.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 03:21   #65
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post
That is an option, and some guys use glow in the dark paint or other stuff.

Exactly, Vietnam, WWI, WWII, Spanish American War, and pretty much every other conflict pre-GWOT, including the first Gulf War.
Tritium irons will cost you an arm an leg over normal irons so doing as Gato said and a dad of glow in the dark paint works well too. As for shooting at night, I will run a red dot but engaging at night is such a different beast than during the day. Your movements are so much slower and your trying to not give your position away. Also depends if i am using a tracer unit (and bbs) Generally I find an RDS easier but not necessary.

Basically its a crutch if you cant use irons. Familiarize yourself with irons, they work.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 09:22   #66
8bitninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curo View Post
Tritium irons will cost you an arm an leg over normal irons so doing as Gato said and a dad of glow in the dark paint works well too...

Basically its a crutch if you cant use irons. Familiarize yourself with irons, they work.
Hmmm I have lots of tritium vials "lying around" I wonder if I can retrofit into a fiber sight. In the meantime I've just painted them using superluminova.

As for a crutch, it can be. It looks like this is an argument of those that have time to practice and even get certifications vs weekend warriors that just want to grab and go or lend to a friend. Different strokes for different folks -- the key here is it's not impossible to use decent irons in the dark.
Old October 27th, 2015, 10:49   #67
waylander

Like everything in life, red dots are a luxury, not a requirement. If someone feels more comfortable and accurate using a red dot then go ahead. I mean lets look at real life special forces, there's a reason they have night vision, red dots/holo sights, lasers... etc. Saying that just because they did something 50 years ago that it's good enough now... well that's just ridiculous.... what are you using to be on the internet? Do we need every convenience that technology has given us so far? Do I call you lazy because you drive instead of walking or biking to work? If someone uses a red dot then that's great... more power to them, don't mock them for it.
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 10:50   #68
Datawraith

I was thinking the same thing 8bitninja! Was planning on ordering a bunch of the vials anyways for a side project, might as well see if it's feasible to do that. Durability is the hard part; by drilling into the sights, we're thinning out the metal dangerously. Plus, the front sight would be a bitch to mount a vial to. I think glow-in-the-dark paint is probably the most feasible option honestly.
Old October 27th, 2015, 12:18   #69
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datawraith View Post
I was thinking the same thing 8bitninja! Was planning on ordering a bunch of the vials anyways for a side project, might as well see if it's feasible to do that. Durability is the hard part; by drilling into the sights, we're thinning out the metal dangerously. Plus, the front sight would be a bitch to mount a vial to. I think glow-in-the-dark paint is probably the most feasible option honestly.
checking a favourite firearms site
http://ctcsupplies.ca/collections/optics-sights?page=2

They aren't too bad, but something like a real RDS can be cheaper, produce similar results. Vortex optics are really really nice for airsoft.
Old October 27th, 2015, 12:49   #70
Datawraith

We were thinking of DIYing it Curo, not buy the whole sights with the tritium. We have the vials of tritium, and we would drill holes into the rear sights to mount the vials. Unfortunately, the process would be rather difficult, considering how small the parts and tolerances are. Might try it for shits and giggles sometime though (when I get some time).
Old October 27th, 2015, 13:01   #71
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

I'd use lower end real steel anything, rather than airsoft/replica anything. Well, almost anything. Replica usually comes in two varieties; overpriced and crappy make. I also find that good replica is usually only slightly cheaper than some real steel stuff, so it's often worth it to save up the extra $10, $20, $100, or whatever depending on what you're buying. Plus, you are out there in the mud, in the trees, hiking, crawling, etc, so your gear has to work properly. Your comms must be clear, your eye-pro must protect you, your gun must shoot straight, etc.

Too many players want something specific, and because they can't afford the real steel counterpart, they'll but a replica of it. What you need to decide is which type of sight you need, like say a red-dot, and then look at all the options. You may not be able to afford a genuine EoTech, but you could probably get something similar by Barska or Holosun. Don't be afraid to spend a few bucks, and if you have to wait for your next paycheck or two, then so be it. It's always a good idea to have backup iron sights. Your reticle may break, it may kill its battery, whatever. Make sure the dot is precise, or in the dark it'll blind you from seeing what your aiming at. Make sure the mirrors will hold during shooting and running and bumping around, or they'll be way off. This should all be quite obvious. Get something with forgiving eye relief and don't get a scope or a zoomed reticle unless you need it...

Companies like NC-Star or UTG/Leaper make some decent stuff, but reviews are mixed. I had an NC-Star scope that lasted a decade and worked well. Others haven't had the same luck. Wether high quality airsoft scopes or low quality real steel, at least check them out.

As far as airsoft with scopes are concerned, it comes down to your gun. An airsoft gun shooting 400 - 440 FPS on a 0.20g, can reach out well past 300 feet accurately on a 0.28g, 0.30g, 0.32g, if the hop-up is solid, and it has proper mods, upgrades, etc. not all platforms will do it, but it can happen. Your average airsoft rifle should be able to achieve 200 feet accurately and consistently at least. If not, either it sucks bad or needs some work. So, first you tune your gun and then set your hop-up do maximize use of your effective range. Once your gun is accurate and consistent, then you set your sight to match where your BBs are going. Accurate for an airsoft gun is hitting a soccer ball, or basket ball sized target at effective range. This may depend on your hip-up setting and BB weight, assuming of course both are quality.
Old October 27th, 2015, 13:30   #72
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I'd use lower end real steel anything, rather than airsoft/replica anything. Well, almost anything. Replica usually comes in two varieties; overpriced and crappy make. I also find that good replica is usually only slightly cheaper than some real steel stuff, so it's often worth it to save up the extra $10, $20, $100, or whatever depending on what you're buying. Plus, you are out there in the mud, in the trees, hiking, crawling, etc, so your gear has to work properly. Your comms must be clear, your eye-pro must protect you, your gun must shoot straight, etc.

Too many players want something specific, and because they can't afford the real steel counterpart, they'll but a replica of it. What you need to decide is which type of sight you need, like say a red-dot, and then look at all the options. You may not be able to afford a genuine EoTech, but you could probably get something similar by Barska or Holosun. Don't be afraid to spend a few bucks, and if you have to wait for your next paycheck or two, then so be it. It's always a good idea to have backup iron sights. Your reticle may break, it may kill its battery, whatever. Make sure the dot is precise, or in the dark it'll blind you from seeing what your aiming at. Make sure the mirrors will hold during shooting and running and bumping around, or they'll be way off. This should all be quite obvious. Get something with forgiving eye relief and don't get a scope or a zoomed reticle unless you need it...

Companies like NC-Star or UTG/Leaper make some decent stuff, but reviews are mixed. I had an NC-Star scope that lasted a decade and worked well. Others haven't had the same luck. Wether high quality airsoft scopes or low quality real steel, at least check them out.

As far as airsoft with scopes are concerned, it comes down to your gun. An airsoft gun shooting 400 - 440 FPS on a 0.20g, can reach out well past 300 feet accurately on a 0.28g, 0.30g, 0.32g, if the hop-up is solid, and it has proper mods, upgrades, etc. not all platforms will do it, but it can happen. Your average airsoft rifle should be able to achieve 200 feet accurately and consistently at least. If not, either it sucks bad or needs some work. So, first you tune your gun and then set your hop-up do maximize use of your effective range. Once your gun is accurate and consistent, then you set your sight to match where your BBs are going. Accurate for an airsoft gun is hitting a soccer ball, or basket ball sized target at effective range. This may depend on your hip-up setting and BB weight, assuming of course both are quality.
This applies to allot of different things, im looking at rails for me WE, 200 bucks for a 'high quality' airsoft rail. I can get the name brand RS rail for 250-300. Sights too tho, Really silly how airsoft sights can be so high priced when going a little bit higher can get you an entry level RS sight thats better and not really any more expensive.
Old October 27th, 2015, 19:04   #73
SuperHog

For airsoft Tritium sights are actually a better investment over optics, although a little expensive for a toy gun. Nothing to break if shot at and never needs batteries. Always ready for you when needed.

or you can get these airsoft iron sights and replace the plastic rods with real tritium tubes.

Last edited by SuperHog; October 27th, 2015 at 21:41..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 22:22   #74
Datawraith

What do you mean nothing to break? Those tritium vials are contained by glass... There's always the chance of a strike by a BB or a surface and it might shatter. That's why the paint might be a more feasible option.

As for the MBUIS, interesting... That will be really low profile though, dunno how well you can sight in without risers on it. Yeah, I can definitely see the tritium vials working with that, just might be a little too exposed in my opinion. Plus, if you flip up the sights, you'll be a nice glowing target to shoot at :P
Old October 27th, 2015, 23:00   #75
SuperHog

I have a few of those vials. They are only 3mm in diameter. Pretty hard to hit if the vials are shrouded on the front and only the back exposed for stealthy use.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion