Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

LiPo's and Chargers Demystified - At least for dummies like me....

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old March 1st, 2009, 09:10   #46
m102404
Tys

Quick update:

I've wired up my rifle with a Trigger Master (Mk1) MOSFET (made by DonP...awesomely helpful). I did it while recovering from a wicked flu...so I was kind of worried that I'd mess it up getting it all right. I wanted to run the lipo in the stock tube and run a Magpul CRT stock...so no room in back for the MOSFET. With a heavy 1 piece barrel and a Noveske 7" rail...there wasn't much space up front to tuck it away up front either. With the two larger SMD's of the MOSFET oriented in the channel where the gas tube would normally be...the unit just fit after I removed the heavy shrink wrap (sub'd in black electrical tape).

So...the 2 trigger wires and motor wires go from the mech out the front to the FET mounted on the barrel, tucked under the RIS. Two more wires...the battery leads...travel back through the barrel, around the side of the mechbox and out the stock tube. Not the best job...but not the worst.

I bought a LiPo voltage indicator circuit at Hobby Hobby out in Miss. It was around $20 and reads 1-6S. It cycles through displaying each cell's voltage and then the total pack voltage. I can plug it into the balancing tap through then end of the CRT stock to check the pack voltage without having to remove the stock...which is nice.

The Trigger Master MOSFET has a low voltage indicator. When first plugged in, the unit will measure the voltage of the pack. When the voltage reaches 84% of it's initial voltage, the unit will send warning signals to the AEG...the motor ends up vibrating like a cell phone. So with fully charged pack (12.6v) would have a warning at 10.6V...a 11.1v pack would have a warning at 9.3v.

I've blown through several more hundreds of rounds in testing the new setup and I'm at 11.3v. I'm going to shoot mostly semi with this rig...but having a 3 round burst, especially at a high ROF like this, is nice because you'll empty a mag pretty quick on full auto.

I'm going to play around with the Trigger Master now and see if I can't slow down the motor speed a bit.

I didn't count how many rounds have gone through it so far...I'll start over again with the next round of testing. And if I can figure out how how to take a decent picture I'll photograph some of it...

Tys
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 00:06   #47
frontpage

batteries and there charger

hi huang i have read all sorts of stuff on here about the different batteries and am looking at li-po batteries but what would you recomend to charge them ie the charger. i am looking to get a decent one that won't kill my battery investment and still charge my original batteries
I play with guns and pretend to make war to remind myself and others how easy it is to die in real life, so I honour the sacrifice others make on our behalf even if I do not agree with the policies that send them where they go, so I work to bring them home so that no one may ever forget what was done this and every other day and not to be just swept away as many people wish it would stay.
frontpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 00:42   #48
KND
* AV revoked *

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontpage View Post
hi huang i have read all sorts of stuff on here about the different batteries and am looking at li-po batteries but what would you recomend to charge them ie the charger. i am looking to get a decent one that won't kill my battery investment and still charge my original batteries
What is your budget ? I got mine and it cost me almost 150 $ shipped and it can charge all kind of lipo battery from 1 to 5 cell, which we need only 2 or 3 cells is quite enough for airsoft gun. Here is the link, hope it help.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB9605

KND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:13   #49
Dragate

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
Quick update:

I've wired up my rifle with a Trigger Master (Mk1) MOSFET (made by DonP...awesomely helpful). I did it while recovering from a wicked flu...so I was kind of worried that I'd mess it up getting it all right. I wanted to run the lipo in the stock tube and run a Magpul CRT stock...so no room in back for the MOSFET. With a heavy 1 piece barrel and a Noveske 7" rail...there wasn't much space up front to tuck it away up front either. With the two larger SMD's of the MOSFET oriented in the channel where the gas tube would normally be...the unit just fit after I removed the heavy shrink wrap (sub'd in black electrical tape).

So...the 2 trigger wires and motor wires go from the mech out the front to the FET mounted on the barrel, tucked under the RIS. Two more wires...the battery leads...travel back through the barrel, around the side of the mechbox and out the stock tube. Not the best job...but not the worst.

I bought a LiPo voltage indicator circuit at Hobby Hobby out in Miss. It was around $20 and reads 1-6S. It cycles through displaying each cell's voltage and then the total pack voltage. I can plug it into the balancing tap through then end of the CRT stock to check the pack voltage without having to remove the stock...which is nice.

The Trigger Master MOSFET has a low voltage indicator. When first plugged in, the unit will measure the voltage of the pack. When the voltage reaches 84% of it's initial voltage, the unit will send warning signals to the AEG...the motor ends up vibrating like a cell phone. So with fully charged pack (12.6v) would have a warning at 10.6V...a 11.1v pack would have a warning at 9.3v.

I've blown through several more hundreds of rounds in testing the new setup and I'm at 11.3v. I'm going to shoot mostly semi with this rig...but having a 3 round burst, especially at a high ROF like this, is nice because you'll empty a mag pretty quick on full auto.

I'm going to play around with the Trigger Master now and see if I can't slow down the motor speed a bit.

I didn't count how many rounds have gone through it so far...I'll start over again with the next round of testing. And if I can figure out how how to take a decent picture I'll photograph some of it...

Tys

wow man~
doyou have a type body or b?
I woudl think it's pretty hard to fit in a buffer lipo into the metal tube out the back of the body for the buffer tube eh

man that's liek exactly what I want to do haha
Dragate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:08   #50
m102404
Tys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragate View Post
wow man~
doyou have a type body or b?
I woudl think it's pretty hard to fit in a buffer lipo into the metal tube out the back of the body for the buffer tube eh

man that's liek exactly what I want to do haha
It's a stock KWA body. The LiPo fit ok in the buffer tube. I've been meaning to take some pics...hopefully I'll get around to that this weekend.

Tys
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:18   #51
huang

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontpage View Post
I only have lipo charger+balbancer($35 ONLY). Lipo chargers is only for lipo battery.

As I have seen, Jingong, TM, Well's butter tube can fit those buffer tube lipo. Dboy's buffer tube has a bit tight space to fit.

There will be a steel buffer tube that can fit the lipo battery and the wires coming very soon( in a week ).
huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:51   #52
Dragate

Quote:
Originally Posted by huang View Post
I only have lipo charger+balbancer($35 ONLY). Lipo chargers is only for lipo battery.

As I have seen, Jingong, TM, Well's butter tube can fit those buffer tube lipo. Dboy's buffer tube has a bit tight space to fit.

There will be a steel buffer tube that can fit the lipo battery and the wires coming very soon( in a week ).
is it the KA one?

I've been looking on ehobby asia, they have a king arms buffer tube made to fit lipos, a long with a lipo battery 11.1v 1100 mAH 15C at 105mmx20mmx17mm
On that sight they also have a G&P ep lipo at 11.1v 1200 MAH 15C 128mmx20mmx15mm with mini deans

both batteries have silver low resistance wires with dual ends one for charging (tamayia) and deans for use on gun...

Out of hotpower, G&P and KA, which battery would be the best?
THe Hotpower one is almost identical in KA in aspects of voltage, milliampage, discharge rate and size.

Also for your charger, how does it work, like does it just charge everything no matter the voltage just plug in? How do you know when the charging is complete (light?)?
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:26   #53
huang

Three lipo are quality lipo.

The hotpwer charger set comes with the balancer. Balancer will balance and recover( if required) the lipo battery first( LED on the balancer turns blue ). Whe the LED on the balancer is off means the lipo is ready to charge. Now connect the charger to the balancer and start charging. When the light on the charger turns from red to blue. It is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragate View Post
is it the KA one?

I've been looking on ehobby asia, they have a king arms buffer tube made to fit lipos, a long with a lipo battery 11.1v 1100 mAH 15C at 105mmx20mmx17mm
On that sight they also have a G&P ep lipo at 11.1v 1200 MAH 15C 128mmx20mmx15mm with mini deans

both batteries have silver low resistance wires with dual ends one for charging (tamayia) and deans for use on gun...

Out of hotpower, G&P and KA, which battery would be the best?
THe Hotpower one is almost identical in KA in aspects of voltage, milliampage, discharge rate and size.

Also for your charger, how does it work, like does it just charge everything no matter the voltage just plug in? How do you know when the charging is complete (light?)?
huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 13:06   #54
Dragate

Quote:
Originally Posted by huang View Post
Three lipo are quality lipo.

The hotpwer charger set comes with the balancer. Balancer will balance and recover( if required) the lipo battery first( LED on the balancer turns blue ). Whe the LED on the balancer is off means the lipo is ready to charge. Now connect the charger to the balancer and start charging. When the light on the charger turns from red to blue. It is done.
so there's no discrepency as to waht voltage of battery it can charge?
on ehobby there were a few G&P and KA lipo chargers
they said they could only charge 3.4/7.4/11.1 depending on the charger

maybe ur charger is just a lot better haha

and question about surge protection from lipos. I know you offer that one on your master sales thread, but does mosfet do that too? I'm pretty interested in three round burst haha. I dont' wanna get mosfet and a surge protector... just not enough space in a stock tube lol
Old March 22nd, 2009, 17:12   #55
m102404
Tys

Post Op - LiPo usage

I ran the 11.1v 1100mAh 15C LiPo for Op Broadsword this past weekend. 1400-1600 shots. Zero issues with running it. Slick as butter and good performance.

2 deg C morning temps has no ill effects. No slow down in performance throughout the day.

Started out freshly charged at 12.6v...finished at 11.4v...still lots to go before the 9v flatline.

So far good stuff. That charger is worth it's weight in gold. Charging 4 NiMh, 2 NiCd and 2 LiPo's the evening before the game is such a chore...with this one it was fast and worry free.

Tys

Last edited by m102404; March 23rd, 2009 at 10:55..
Old March 25th, 2009, 14:38   #56
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Damn you all. After reading this, a dream of mine is within reach. A front wired, MOSFET LiPo rig all tucked nicely away in a RIS front end on my M4

Curse all you ed-u-muh-cated bastages!
Old March 25th, 2009, 18:47   #57
m102404
Tys

Like this? Pre-mosfet install. LiPo is tucked into the stock tube and I have a Magpul CRT stock instead of the crane. Mosfet is tucked in between the Noveske handguard and outer barrel...12 o-clock position right between the Noveske trades.

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications