Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Heads up re: KWA in Canada / Trigger Airsoft

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old October 3rd, 2016, 18:28   #1
ProDoyle

Exclamation Heads up re: KWA in Canada / Trigger Airsoft

So I picked up the PTS RM4 Scout ERG made by KWA and purchased from Trigger Airsoft online. After 3 games the lower receiver developed a crack. Ok, I get it, no guns in Canada come with warranties, certainly not after you have played... but the gun is pristine except for this crack. So I understand that Trigger won't be able to help me but I check the KWA site, note the parts and email their support folks with a question about whether the gun is safe to use or not. I figure if it isn't at a critical place then I don't care - everything gets dinged up eventually.

So I give them the serial number and about a million other pieces of info and they tell me it isn't one of their guns...

Basically, the folks at KWA USA don't know anything about the company that owns them (Yih Kai Enterprise) and they can't even tell me if the part (which looks like it should be the same... even the numbers in the manual match up) will be good. Never mind that they want 35$ for the part and 47$ to ship it! (plus whatever customs decides to hit you with) They also said the standards for manufacture for the asian version and north american version are vastly different - but they can't tell me what makes the guns different and I can't find any indication that the version I bought is the Asia version (and most site indicate this when they sell them).

Basically, I bought a KWA from a licensed KWA reseller who apparently didn't even get it from KWA according to KWA. At this point I can't help but recommend not buying KWA items from Trigger, and to be safe, avoid KWA in Canada completely since it's origin will be suspect (and I'm not exactly impressed with the KWA "service" either).
ProDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 18:38   #2
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Have you even tried contacting trigger to see what they might do for you? Some places are actually starting to warranty their items now.

Also, unless things have changed in the last little while and I missed it, DO NOT get a lower receiver shipped in from out of the country, you will never get it.
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 18:43   #3
ProDoyle

I copied trigger in on the messages to KWA - they haven't responded. I'm not actually expecting them to. Their website clearly states their warranty policy (basically, once you have turned it on and shot it, go away). I knew this when I purchased it. What I am not happy about with them right now is that they are selling an Asia-market version without that being clearly indicated.

I was hoping to get KWA to ship the part as "warranty" work - but I have also contacted a local KWA reseller to see if they do any parts orders.

I don't want to deal with customs and the possibility of seizure etc. I was hopeful that if it was shipped as "warranty" then there would be no question by CBSA that it was legit.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 18:44   #4
Rydock

What are the last two digits on your serial number. Those usually dictate whether it's asian or north american.
Rydock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 18:47   #5
ProDoyle

TW.

I wouldn't even know what it meant without contacting KWA USA.

Besides, it isn't like the resellers post the serial numbers of the guns on their sites.

Quite a nice introduction to airsoft though isn't it? Nothing like having your first experiences be shitty ones. My kids love playing though so I'm trying to not let it show to them how pissed I am.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 18:50   #6
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDoyle View Post
I don't want to deal with customs and the possibility of seizure etc. I was hopeful that if it was shipped as "warranty" then there would be no question by CBSA that it was legit.
You can put whatever you want on the customs slip, anybody can lie, a lower is a lower regardless of what its for. Unless and can prove to the CBSA beyond doubt that its not a real gun, its not coming in, and good luck with that.

Best to find an importer or a local seller. Good Luck.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 18:53   #7
ProDoyle

I thought the point was to prove to them that it was for a legal weapon (i.e. one that shoots in excess of 366 fps)? I have the cracked receiver... not sure how you could ever prove a negative.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 19:03   #8
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

CBSA has different rules from ownership laws. I know, I know, what the hell, right? Anyways, Cobra is correct, a lower receiver will be seized and likely destroyed, sans any possibility for reimbursement. Also I agree that you should contact Trigger directly (phone). I've not known them to be unreasonable, in fact they all seem to be nice guys.

Many standard guns, like AEGs, can have interchangeable receivers (maybe not yours, but who knows), so you could buy a better quality one in Canada and have it done with. Unfortunately physically breaking guns is a reality and it does happen, even on very expensive platforms. My buddy broke his lower receiver on his new Systema ($2,000) right after purchasing it, because tripped and landed on it. Not much the retailer could do for him.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 19:10   #9
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDoyle View Post
I thought the point was to prove to them that it was for a legal weapon (i.e. one that shoots in excess of 366 fps)? I have the cracked receiver... not sure how you could ever prove a negative.
You're not wrong, but you still need to prove that it is for airsoft and not a real AR, and the CBSA have proven over and over again to be big sticks in the mud over the issue. I am more than sure that they can look at an AEG receiver and EASILY tell that there are 0 provisions for the innards of a real gun but they like to ignore that.
ALSO, the lower receiver if what is considered the firearm as a whole to the law, everything else is just fluff. Does that firearm shoot the required ME/FPS to meet unregulated status? Of course not therefor its a replica, so that is also a no go with their regs.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 22:27   #10
ProDoyle

Just wanted to be clear on something - I'm not bashing Trigger here - just stating the situation regarding one line of products they sell. I can say it was easy to order from them and shipped damn fast and everything was well packaged - and although I don't expect them to be able to help I would certainly be happy if they could. I do appreciate everyone providing their comments though - it's a reminder that this does seem like a great community in a tough hobby.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 23:26   #11
Kos-Mos

All of PTS guns are Asia market only, since Magpull sues everyone in the US.
So that clear that.

You might want to contact taktikairsoft in Montreal. They import directly from PTS, so they might be able to get you a replacement (also, legally).
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 23:44   #12
ProDoyle

Thanks Kos-Mos. I understood at the time this was actually a partnership so there should be no suing involved - they were fully licensed. I watched numerous reviews out of the US by large retailers as well as 3rd party reviewers and read several other reviews. I spent a while researching this AEG and nothing came up about this. Heck, in one of the reviews they even stated that the receiver and mech box were extra reinforced to deal with the stress of the ERG.

Thanks for the note about the MTL retailer - I will try contacting them.
Old October 4th, 2016, 00:23   #13
Rydock

I use this exact gun as my main (even came from Trigger) and I beat the hell out of mine. I can't even fathom the possibility of the lower receiver ever cracking considering how thick it is. You might have gotten a lemon.
Rydock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 20:08   #14
ProDoyle

Update.

Trigger got back to me and confirmed they get their product direct from Asia and they are going to try and get the piece for me. I'm surprised and impressed by at least their offer to go outside of their stated policies.

I still won't ever own another KWA... but I will purchase from Trigger again. Even Trigger was surprised by KWA USA response...
Old October 27th, 2016, 23:07   #15
LuckyZ

I ordered 1 trigger from KWA last year for a usp. I had to contact them through their @help email as the part is listed on their site but no option to ship to canada... they replied fairly quick and shipped it no problem. 6 months later i needed another trigger for my uspc and after 2-3 emails back an forth they stopped responding... i sent them payment info and everything they just never confirmed and never responded... guess it depends who answering emails that day.
LuckyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion