Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Armature winding questions

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old July 24th, 2016, 15:55   #1
chaz

Armature winding questions

TPA not withstanding, does it make a difference how "neat" and "tidy" the winding's are?
I know when I was doing small scale RC racing a hand turned motor with neat wiring made a HUGE difference over a stock machine wound motor partial due to its tighter and neater winding's.
Is the same true about airsoft motors?

I guess 2nd part would be "Comm drops". Would these make any difference with AEG motors?
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 00:00   #2
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Neater windings are better because you can pack more windings in. I can spout some BS about magnetic fields, but it's not really a game changer for airsoft.
What's more important is the TPA, wire gauge, and magnets. But what most people don't realize is your motor needs to be matched to your setup. It's not a good idea to just toss any old motor into a given gun. It's like matching an engine to a transmission and a vehicle weight.

Comm drops aren't really needed unless you're breaking in brushes.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 11:09   #3
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Neater windings are better because you can pack more windings in. I can spout some BS about magnetic fields, but it's not really a game changer for airsoft.
What's more important is the TPA, wire gauge, and magnets. But what most people don't realize is your motor needs to be matched to your setup. It's not a good idea to just toss any old motor into a given gun. It's like matching an engine to a transmission and a vehicle weight.

Comm drops aren't really needed unless you're breaking in brushes.
What he said.
Two exactly the same motors, one with sloppy windings, you would see a difference on a bench. Not in an AEG really.

But tighter windings can also let you use larger guage wires, which in turn can take more current, and lets your put less turns on the armature ->faster motor.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 11:47   #4
chaz

Thanks guys
Was just wondering after opening a motor and looking at hand built armatures and seeing how sloppy the winding's seemed versus what I am used to from RC racing.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications