Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Where is all the airsoft vietnam interest in Ontario?

:

General

Old August 4th, 2012, 16:07   #16
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Like Morb said, those of us who were into it are now mostly in our late twenties or early thirties, with careers, wives, kids etc. Cutting back on the speciality games is one thing that happens to make room in your life for the other stuff once you start settling down.

I bowed out of namsoft a few years ago, and I don't attend skirmish games any more; which has freed up my schedule to still attend larger milsims that don't require specialized equipment. I wish it wasn't so, as namsoft games are EPIC.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 21:02   #17
MaciekA

The real question you're asking is whether a sufficient number of players in the halo of the GTA are able to set aside multicam, A-TACS, marpat, rail systems, new-fangled weapons, etc, and go retro with M16s, AKs, woodland camo, less sophisticated rigs and mag pouches, etc.

I suspect the interest would be there if someone were to campaign for it.

Some people are already prepared, some not, etc. Some parts of going "fully" namsoft are going to be inexpensive (clothing, etc), some not so much (guns).

I think you've got quite an advocacy task ahead of you, but it's doable. You just need to pave the way and show those of us who never got into the Vietnam thing (myself included) what a minimum setup would involve, one that ideally would satisfy purists and not spoil the authenticity on game day.

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 00:17   #18
shiftsup

I have a VC kit.

Life-balance allows me to play airsoft maybe 6 times a year.

I'd be up for a Nam game.

Dress code doesn't need to be crazy. Tan / Black v. OD / Woodland / Tiger Stripe seems sensible enough.

No bullpups or fancy attachments.

Pretty sure 20-30 players can be found for for 8-12 hours of gameplay in a field that is accessible to the GTA, Horseshoe and SWO player-base.

Anyways, it's not my problem. Enjoy your overpriced shaving acessories.
shiftsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 00:18   #19
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftsup View Post
I have a VC kit.

Life-balance allows me to play airsoft maybe 6 times a year.

I'd be up for a Nam game.

Dress code doesn't need to be crazy. Tan / Black v. OD / Woodland / Tiger Stripe seems sensible enough.

No bullpups or fancy attachments.

Pretty sure 20-30 players can be found for for 8-12 hours of gameplay in a field that is accessible to the GTA, Horseshoe and SWO player-base.
But what if your one of those all out nam guys with a colt scope for there m16 (i dont got one, but I like them.)
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 00:42   #20
shiftsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt Caliber View Post
But what if your one of those all out nam guys with a colt scope for there m16 (i dont got one, but I like them.)
I think at this point most of the all out nam guys have been inserted into the jungle never to be heard from again.

Pretty sure scopes would be allowed though.

Sorry, what I meant by fancy attachments was red dot sights, rail mounted foregrips. Things like that.

Scopes, suppressors, grenade launchers, that stuff is kosher for the Viet Nam US side.

Regardless of kit restrictions or lack thereof, I'd definitely be up for a Nam game, even a small one. I'll be sure to bring a whistle too...didn't bring one last year

Last edited by shiftsup; August 5th, 2012 at 00:48..
Old August 5th, 2012, 03:51   #21
hollywood...
cranky old man

I have a full US loadout,... get er going Cooney
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:46   #22
shiftsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Skeletor- View Post
Within reason, you shouldn't see an Infantry Platoon rocking suppressors, scopes, etc on their M16s. In pictures I've only seen the M203 and XM148 used by SEALs and SASR, all the pictures I've seen of Infantry, LRRPs/Rangers, etc they used the M79 through out the war.
Most certainly.

However, that sort of stuff falls into the impression / reenactment category. If we are just talking a Viet Nam game to get things rolling certain kit restrictions most likely wouldn't be in the mix.

Historical Airsoft has a very fragile balance. The hardcore players are easily outnumbered by those that want to play with passable kit. Finding the acceptable balance in regards to kit restrictions is a struggle between historical game cancellation and historical game in name only.

The last WW2 game I attended was a Level 2 game this past winter. It was pretty good. Lots of effort was made to look the part. I enjoyed myself. But 2 of the Allied players I went on patrol with asked me what a German soldier looked like as they didn't know. Other players discussed CYMA Thompsons v. KA Thompsons during quiet times. So much for attempting an immersion (It wasn't an immersion game anyway). Would have been a nice touch though.

Old August 5th, 2012, 13:00   #23
cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood... View Post
I have a full US loadout,... get er going Cooney
I'm no host. Trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
well Cooney, looks like you have a project... revitalize Namsoft in southern Ontario..

get at it
I only know most general things of the vietnam war and the conflicts related to it. I'm still reading books and researching in my spare time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever_kaos View Post
In Country will most likely be at the Military Muster I mentioned to you Cooney.. Come on out to it!
No ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftsup View Post
The last WW2 game I attended was a Level 2 game this past winter. It was pretty good. Lots of effort was made to look the part. I enjoyed myself. But 2 of the Allied players I went on patrol with asked me what a German soldier looked like as they didn't know. Other players discussed CYMA Thompsons v. KA Thompsons during quiet times. So much for attempting an immersion (It wasn't an immersion game anyway). Would have been a nice touch though.
Our German forces were pinned, starving, limited in working guns. (Winter blew our forces away). We resulted in desperate measures of using shovels to throw snow and Broken guns to convince the allies they worked.
cooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 13:14   #24
Amos

You'll continue to be "no host" unless you try.

Get input from experienced people and give it a go. Worse case ontario it just ends up with people shooting BB's at each other.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 13:15   #25
Kingsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooney View Post
I'm no host. Trust me.
Don't worry Cooney I'll help you host.
Old August 5th, 2012, 13:22   #26
hollywood...
cranky old man

Cooney - get ahold of Nate and see if we can use LZ Woodstock.
I'll help you host too
Old August 5th, 2012, 13:29   #27
shiftsup

Quote:
Our German forces were pinned, starving, limited in working guns. (Winter blew our forces away). We resulted in desperate measures of using shovels to throw snow and Broken guns to convince the allies they worked.
Being a German soldier in January 1945 was a struggle. Guess you got somewhat immersed.

Finch field is a good place for a Viet Nam game. Great field. Many have played there at least once so it is familiar. They sell bbs on site too.

Old August 12th, 2012, 23:08   #28
The Faceman

I'm in too man, I'll even wear American OD instead of the superior Canadian OD. Trying to find a decent triangular handguard at the moment, they look cooler anyway. If you build it, I will come! Finch's field in the spring would be perfect.

Last edited by The Faceman; August 12th, 2012 at 23:58..
The Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 00:23   #29
forcerecon85

Sadly Josh (Kokonee) had it right, life is coming up. Some have school, others have careers and career transitions and we have to pick our battles and events. I am however glad that there is a post and people up for VN games.

The great thing about Vietnam is that it's cheap (webgear, helmet, uniform under $300), the average firefight was less than 50 meters (airsoft range) and a lot of small unit tactics just like in airsoft.

You could run a loose game where it's Green as US, Tan as NVA, armalites vs. AK's. Have fun for an afternoon and if you really liked it, watch a movie, google some history and talk to Renegade, Hollywood, MrEvolution, S.H.I.E.L.D., Voice of Reason, Bravo 1/6 or myself.

We've branched out into re-enacting as well and we'll be riding tanks and flying in helicopters on the 25th, talking to the vets and answering basic questions on the war. Beer and bunker parties after the gates close. Can't go wrong with that.
Old August 19th, 2012, 00:58   #30
ladytresses

The nam

Love it, post it, shit i will offer up my field in Durham for that one (was going to save the opener for a ww2 game but what the f. I have a field in Milton at the end of Walkers LN that i am getting ready for next year (f--- i hate broken glass), could run it there. You could use waterdown for a vietnam skirm day. Shit Cooney i give you field and take care of the bullshit like insurance etc. If you can put one together i give you wHAt ever you need (except my wife....she so dam hot...you wouldnt know what to do anyways let alone with her friend patrica too.) F--- i love vietnam games, played at several of the woodstock games but all were rained out. (funny i am still waiting for the make up games......never happen... and if it did it was at FR and you had to pay again....... ass-----) I have been trying to put one on for three years :results one game 22 players and two cancelled events, but shit i have a full early war NVA outfit from the slippers, to the gilligan hat. Add my stupid electric blow back AK and i am ready for a pho buffet (rare beef, maybe some quail eggs and no cat or the herb that taste like dam black licorse please). Shit i will bring my mega phone even.

Do it cooney, do it......... American G.I so far from home, whats your girlfriend doing (your best friend ...ass)

Last edited by ladytresses; August 19th, 2012 at 01:04..
ladytresses is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General