Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

FAQ for Tokyo Marui Hi-Capa, 2011, 1911, MEU & Detonics type variants

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old February 6th, 2012, 17:54   #1426
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

I'm not saying I disbelieve you. In fact, I believe you thoroughly in that you say what you saw, but I'm also saying that what you're quoting as gospel from KWA is also not the ideal solution.

It's actually very common for airsofters to think silicone oil is a viable lubricant. In a pinch, it will work, but it's not good for long term and high stress use.

Same reason why you would NEVER find simple silicone oil inside an AEG gearbox.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 18:01   #1427
Lone_Bullet.be

Oh, that's alright. Just pointing out to possible other misinformed users. That was not exactly pointed towards you

Should've know, I use silicone... grease in a gearbox . Yes, it makes sense now. Stupid of me not to think any further.

Say, do you have a webshop, or do I have to PM you if I need to buy anything from Illusion Kinetics?
Lone_Bullet.be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 19:08   #1428
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Bullet.be View Post
Oh, that's alright. Just pointing out to possible other misinformed users. That was not exactly pointed towards you

Should've know, I use silicone... grease in a gearbox . Yes, it makes sense now. Stupid of me not to think any further.

Say, do you have a webshop, or do I have to PM you if I need to buy anything from Illusion Kinetics?
I don't have an e-commerce site set up at this time. Just send me a PM.
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:27   #1429
anthon

Hey Illusion,

Got a question here about my TM 5.1 Match Custom. So I got the gun a few weeks ago, been plinking with it and what not, and Im having a problem with accuracy. Now firstly, im going to say that both my TM MEU and my old TM 18c were both dead accurate right out of the box. With them I can consistently hit a oil lamp from 50 feet away no problem, just about every time.

Now with my match custom, im finding that the bb's are going all over the place. I might get 1-2 out of 4-5 shots on the oil lamps, and even when used indoors i find the bbs go all over the place. When I say its in accurate, I mean for example. First shot: on target, hopup looking good, Second shot: bb misses, begins to climb as it gains distance (as if hop up is too high) third shot: its off target left, Fourth Shot on target, looks good again, fifth shot look like there is too much hopup again, bb flys over lantern.

So In short the accuracy is all over the place, I played and adjusted the hop up a few times, but each shot is either 1on target 2:looks like it has too much uphop- bb travels slightly upward

Is there anything I can do, or look to to see if there is a problem? I'm stumped and so sad because this is a brand new gun, and i want it to shoot like my MEU
anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 17:54   #1430
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

No idea, I'd have to see it to know... I'd check the hop up rubber, chamber, and inner barrel to see if there's anything getting in the way to cause an obstruction. I'd also try swapping all the parts one by one to see which one fixes the problem.
Old February 14th, 2012, 23:28   #1431
TaroBear

I've got a buddy doing a parts run for me from Hong Kong. I understand that some of the Capa and 1911 parts are cross compatible. I'm basically going to get parts for a Capa slide and a 1911 frame. I know I need the TK spacer part. What I'm wondering is what I should buy for the parts that contact both the slide and frame. For example, should I get a 1911 or a Capa slide stop? Will a 1911 style hammer operate with a Capa slide? Will a 1911 safety mesh with the Capa slide?

Finally, I don't own a Capa, so I need some guidance here. I understand Hi Capas don't have barrel bushings like 1911 and variants do? Do I need a Capa bushing? Some research on the net seems to indicate that the barrel, recoil spring and some other slide guts will fit, but don't operate completely well when cross-exchanged. Should I be buying Capa parts, or do I basically need a donor Capa slide to gut?
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:19   #1432
Slono
Slow mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaroBear View Post
I've got a buddy doing a parts run for me from Hong Kong. I understand that some of the Capa and 1911 parts are cross compatible. I'm basically going to get parts for a Capa slide and a 1911 frame. I know I need the TK spacer part. What I'm wondering is what I should buy for the parts that contact both the slide and frame. For example, should I get a 1911 or a Capa slide stop? Will a 1911 style hammer operate with a Capa slide? Will a 1911 safety mesh with the Capa slide?

Finally, I don't own a Capa, so I need some guidance here. I understand Hi Capas don't have barrel bushings like 1911 and variants do? Do I need a Capa bushing? Some research on the net seems to indicate that the barrel, recoil spring and some other slide guts will fit, but don't operate completely well when cross-exchanged. Should I be buying Capa parts, or do I basically need a donor Capa slide to gut?

There are a lot of questions here, but its pretty late and I'm super tired from work so I'm only going to answer one off the top of my head.

The TM hi-capas use a bull barrel outer barrel. This means the diameter of the barrel gradually increases until the outside of the barrel can make contact with the inside of the slide. The 1911 barrels are straight, so they will never touch the inside of the slide. That is what the bushing is used for, as it acts as a piece that makes contact with both the straight barrel and the slide (essentially a metal spacer). The straight barrel is stabilized by the bushing and Without it, it would be wobbling around.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands
in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he
stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Last edited by Slono; February 15th, 2012 at 01:25.. Reason: spelling
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:29   #1433
TaroBear

So the outer barrel does the work of the bushing, then? Wouldn't that also mean that the outer barrel and slide will grind each other down in the front?

Edit: Looked at some pictures. I get it now, it actually sticks out.

In that case, would I be able to use a 1911 outer barrel with the Capa slide, and use a bushing?

Last edited by TaroBear; February 15th, 2012 at 21:32..
TaroBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 02:03   #1434
Slono
Slow mo.

Quote:
So the outer barrel does the work of the bushing, then? Wouldn't that also mean that the outer barrel and slide will grind each other down in the front?

Edit: Looked at some pictures. I get it now, it actually sticks out.

In that case, would I be able to use a 1911 outer barrel with the Capa slide, and use a bushing?
Yes you would be able to, only if the slide has a notch cut out to accomodate the bushing. Stock hi capa slides do not have this cut out, but 1911 slides do. With that being said, try to go with the same brand of bushing and slide, or at least the same manufacturer (eg. ILLusion Kinetics and Airsoft Surgeon are 100% compatible because they are sourced from the same manufacturer) because you will be disappointed if you mix brands and find out the bushing doesn't fit in the slide that has a notch cut out for one.

Old February 16th, 2012, 02:31   #1435
TaroBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slono View Post
Yes you would be able to, only if the slide has a notch cut out to accomodate the bushing. Stock hi capa slides do not have this cut out, but 1911 slides do. With that being said, try to go with the same brand of bushing and slide, or at least the same manufacturer (eg. ILLusion Kinetics and Airsoft Surgeon are 100% compatible because they are sourced from the same manufacturer) because you will be disappointed if you mix brands and find out the bushing doesn't fit in the slide that has a notch cut out for one.
Alright. Any ideas about the other parts?
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:27   #1436
Slono
Slow mo.

Quote:
Alright. Any ideas about the other parts?
Question: Will a 1911 style hammer operate with a Capa slide?

Answer: Yes BUT, most aftermarket hammer sets will require some sanding in various places even if you purchase the hammer set for the proprietary platform. Understand that this does not mean they incompatible by any means.

Note that 1911 and hi-capa slides are interchangeable. All you need is the spacer to make the 1911 slide work with the hi-capa base.

Last edited by Slono; February 20th, 2012 at 02:31..
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:38   #1437
TaroBear

Alright. Right now I'm looking at a Capa outer barrel, spring and spring plug, 1911 slide stop, hammer and safety, and skipping the bushing for now to be safe. I'm thinking I might need the Capa BBU, and I know I need a set of Capa sights for sure. Oh, and the spacer.
Old February 26th, 2012, 14:19   #1438
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
should I get a 1911 or a Capa slide stop?

Quote:
Will a 1911 style hammer operate with a Capa slide?
Yes. The hammer has nothing to do with the slide

Quote:
Will a 1911 safety mesh with the Capa slide?
Yes. Again, the safety functions have nothing to do with the slide.

Quote:
I understand Hi Capas don't have barrel bushings like 1911 and variants do?
Correct

Quote:
Do I need a Capa bushing?
Only if you want it, but you'll need to change to a straight barrel, as well as require a slide that has a bushing lock channel.

Quote:
Some research on the net seems to indicate that the barrel, recoil spring and some other slide guts will fit, but don't operate completely well when cross-exchanged. Should I be buying Capa parts, or do I basically need a donor Capa slide to gut?
yes... and no. It's a bit more complicated than that. I'd need a better idea of what you want to do in order to guide you better. But basically, you WILL need a few parts from a Hi-Capa to fit on to a Hi-Capa slide - particularly, the sights. Any 1911 slide setup does not have open sights that will fit a Hi-Capa.

The hop up chamber is slightly different as well. The 1911 series hop up chamber has a male protrusion that the 1911 recoil spring guide attaches to. The Hi-Capa series does not have this protrusion. You can mod it by grinding it off.

Quote:
Alright. Right now I'm looking at a Capa outer barrel, spring and spring plug, 1911 slide stop, hammer and safety, and skipping the bushing for now to be safe. I'm thinking I might need the Capa BBU, and I know I need a set of Capa sights for sure. Oh, and the spacer.
You'll only need a Hi-Capa BBU if you're converting from an MEU base. The MEU is the only 1911 platform that has a (slightly) different blowback unit that won't function well in the Hi-Capa.

Last edited by ILLusion; February 26th, 2012 at 14:25..
Old February 26th, 2012, 18:03   #1439
TaroBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post

Only if you want it, but you'll need to change to a straight barrel, as well as require a slide that has a bushing lock channel.

yes... and no. It's a bit more complicated than that. I'd need a better idea of what you want to do in order to guide you better. But basically, you WILL need a few parts from a Hi-Capa to fit on to a Hi-Capa slide - particularly, the sights. Any 1911 slide setup does not have open sights that will fit a Hi-Capa.

What I'm trying to do is mate this specific slide

(it's an SD V12) to a 1911 lower. I was originally looking at a PGC "Government" frame, but then I realised that it's actually a dark grey shade. The easiest to source alternative seems to be an Guarder MEU lower for the black frame. I wanted to do mostly stainless controls from NOVA.

As for a barrel bushing, I like the looking of having one.

My plan was to get a vanilla 1911A1 and use those internals as much as possible, then get whatever Hi Capa parts I absolutely need.

Last edited by TaroBear; February 26th, 2012 at 18:10..
TaroBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 18:14   #1440
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

That slide isn't capable of taking a straight barrel and barrel bushing.

If you want to use a straight barrel, you'll need to go with a different slide - ideally, a completely different brand, as the SD ones use a proprietary setup.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications