Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Magpul PDR-C review

:

Reviews

Old February 18th, 2014, 13:47   #61
Dynamo
Harvester of Noobs' Sorrow

Send a message via MSN to Dynamo
i'm in a love/hate relationship with my PDR.
things I like.
- size. it's so compact. (P90, eat your heart out)
- weight. it's not as light as I thought, and actually has a nice heft to it.
- handling. snap shooting is super easy, due it's center of gravity being just above the wrist.
- body. the polymer used for the body construction is really nice. (thought the body tabs are a bit thin and may break if lateral pressure is applied to them)

things I hate.
- gearbox. lets be honest here, it's an ares made box and so it comes with ares regular problems. (proprietary parts)
- trigger. two stage design is just stupid.
- battery. very little room for batteries.
- motor. it's weak as fuck, so even on a 7.4v lipo the gearbox over cycles (fires two shoots for each trigger pull.
- AEG. if there ever was a PTS line rifle that needed to be a GBBR, the PDR was it.
- hopup. it's so shitty. the dial is so easy to move, can't see it holding it's setting for long.

I can easily make this list twice as long.

current status of my PDR, completely striped. currently working designing GBBR internals for it.

Don't look at me, I don't know, lol ¯\(°_o)/¯.
Dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 15:41   #62
targetGspot

Have to say I'm always worried about the gearbox too, mainly the proprietary parts issue. That being said, I played all last season without any problems. I happen to love the 2 stage trigger! No having to switch back and forth from semi to full to conserve ammo then unload on a surprise attack. Try an 11.1v lipo, brings up the rof dramatically. Never had any problems firing more than 1 shot with my 7.4v though, just practice with the trigger, remember it's a 2 stage. She does sound weak running on 7.4, so move up to an 11.1 and she sounds nice. The small battery hasn't posed a problem as I run all day on 1 battery, I'd say I've put 4000 rounds through without draining a battery, (always have a spare ready to go anyway). My hop is fine too, I set it once and haven't had to touch it since, 20ish game days...
Old February 18th, 2014, 15:48   #63
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

seems like a lot of those issues can be fixed by:
slight hop chamber mods
ascu or raptor fet with a button switch that bypasses the two stage trigger
o-ring in the feed tube that prevents bbs falling out
new motor

anyway quite a bit of custom work lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 18:19   #64
Dynamo

the double shooting started after swapping out the 430 fps spring in it for a 350 cqb spring.
that's right, 430 fps spring. though it was shooting about 370.. so massive airleak that I had to fix. modified a ptw hopup/barrel and made a new outer barrel for it, and got a huge fps boost.
had the gun wired to a raptor fet (had to be creative to get it to with with the lame two stage trigger), but the fet ended up breaking..
with the fet, there was no double shots, but the motor would heat up quite fast due to the active breaking working overtime to prevent over spin.

since my style of play is mainly cqb where full auto is prohibited( I prefer semi auto anyways), the two stage trigger is more of a pain, especially with the over cycling. I let the support gunners in my squad take care of full auto fire.

since it currently can't reliably shoot in semi, I decided to gut it and attempt to make it into a gas gun.

oh, and Ares, you cheap bastards, why was the detent for the ejection paddle not put in? can someone check their pdr's paddle for the detent? the frame for the paddle has two slots that line up with a hole just behind the screw that fastens the paddle to the button. I put a steel bearing, spring and a set screw into that hole. now the paddle clicks into position.

Old February 18th, 2014, 21:48   #65
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

You could potentially make a trigger stop to prevent unwanted full auto though, right?
And what motor did you have in it?
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:25   #66
targetGspot

You could use a burst fire mosfet unit to restrict or eliminate full auto no? My pdr is about 415fps out of the box. I play outdoors so never had reason to lower it.
Old February 19th, 2014, 23:29   #67
Dynamo

it would double fire on semi with the stock motor as well as the titan A1 I tested in it.
doesn't matter now anyways, as I m hell bent on making it a working gas gun.
going to look at making it compatible with both WA and WE mags with a swap of the bolt.

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews