Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

REVIEW: AN/PRC-148 MBITR, working replica by United-Star

:

Reviews

Old February 21st, 2013, 15:56   #466
Margi

Send a message via MSN to Margi Send a message via Skype™ to Margi
Hi everyone. I've been looking in this thread but so far, there's one thing I need to know. From my understanding, the Deluxe version of the US PRC-148 works with real headsets. Does it mean it will accept replica headsets (ZTactical Comtac II in my case) ?
Margi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 15:44   #467
Mist3r.B
formerly Botchbomber

Send a message via MSN to Mist3r.B
I tried My United Star (bougth used, but i doubt the problem come from the radio) with Element Z-Tactical PTT and Sordin replica. I used the kenwood plug. I can hear fine but when transmit, the only thing I hear is noise.

I also tried with 2 other Element Z-Tactical headsets and they all had the same issue.

I doubt all 3 had defective mic. Any advice?

Last edited by Mist3r.B; March 13th, 2013 at 18:07..
Mist3r.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:38   #468
Bartess

Hi!

I have RACAL (MBITR Commercial Lightweight Headset) is it gonna work with united star an/prc?
It does have military 6pin plug.
Bartess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 05:06   #469
Aztec

Yes, it should work! I can't guarantee though, since I don't know for sure if the mic is really electret (that would be the right one)
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:57   #470
Bartess

Well I don't know if the mic is electret... But if not, then can I buy it and put inside?
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:14   #471
cybergianlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartess View Post
Well I don't know if the mic is electret... But if not, then can I buy it and put inside?
Bartess, your racal work? I'd like to buy one, it's the best low profile headset
cybergianlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:26   #472
Bartess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergianlu View Post
Bartess, your racal work? I'd like to buy one, it's the best low profile headset
I will check with other radios in next week ok?
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:10   #473
Mist3r.B
formerly Botchbomber

Can you use any Kenwood programing cable (USB or serial port) or does it have to be the one that come with the radio?
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:53   #474
cybergianlu

Ok bartess, thank you! I've received yesterday the racal lightweight headset :P tonight i'll testing the tx volume :P
cybergianlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 18:31   #475
Mist3r.B
formerly Botchbomber

Anybody ever experienced this. My radio was disprogrammed then I mannaged to reprogram the channel manually. Now it turn it self off any time I press a button ( not very usefulle to switch channel) and it also turn it self off all by itself.

Also last game I was only able to transmit. Never was it receiving .

Starting to really hate this piece of crap.

Last edited by Mist3r.B; April 20th, 2013 at 18:35..
Mist3r.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:22   #476
Seraphin76620

@ cybergianlu & Bartess : Do you have some news ? because I have a Racal too and I can hear perfectly but I can't transmit... Did I have to change the mic like Sordin/Peltor headsets ?

thanks for help !
Seraphin76620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 12:35   #477
Tracker33

I've got the newer "Deluxe" version of the United Star PRC-148. Purchased it from PX airsoft. It has the CCI sticker on the top.

Wiring for U-283 is as follows:
A-red/white stripe
B-tan/brown stripe
C-black
D-white
E-nothing N/A
F-nothing N/A

I solved the problem of why I couldn't get the radio to work with a Motorola Talkabout (had to set the Talkabout code to zero--doh!)

I have a ton of real steel/military comms gear and wanted to pass along what works (no impedance issues) and what doesn't work (has impedance issues). Hopefully this along with the earlier posts will help someone.

First, here's a how to attach your U-229 to the PRC-148. Note, line up the flat part of the U-229 to the red dot on the radio's U283. (see photo)

jhg 583.jpg

Gently, firmly push down and gently try to turn the U-229 clockwise. You'll feel the sweet spot and it will lock into place. Taking the antenna off the radio makes this easier.

Here are the real steel/military comm items (not modified) you can use with the radio (pictured) without impedance issues (voice is clearly heard at normal volume):

jhg 580.JPG

jhg 581.JPG

--PRC-343 with Dual PTT ending in U-229 connector using Bowman headset (when receiving, voice does not come out of the PRC-148 speaker)
--Atlantic Signal Lo-Vis R23 earpiece & mic with MSA U94 (when receiving, voice does come out of the PRC-148 speaker--See fix noted in earlier posts)

The following will have impedance issues when you use real military PTTs ending in U-229 connectors (low voice transmit and receiving call comes through PRC-148 speaker):
-Nacre Quietpro+ MBITR Dual Urban
-MSA Sordin Supreme Pro with U94 PTT
-Invisio 5-Pin Lemo via PRC-343 PTT or Davies PTT
-Invisio 6-Pin Lemo via MSA Gallet Single Land Comm PTT

I also have a MSA GALLET Matching box I am working on. So far, I cannot get it to resolve impedance issues between the dynamic mics and the PRC-148. Any info on how to use the matching box (manual, advice) is greatly appreciated.

Thinking about biting the bullet and getting a TCI made PTT to resolve impedance issues. Honestly, I would rather put an amp in the radio. Anyone with knowledge on how to amp the radio internally please share.

Hope this helps someone.

:salute:
Tracker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 20:32   #478
BucketHead Ed

Silly Questions But if not asked????

I just received two "almost new" United Star PRC-148s from one heck of a nice seller on Ebay. I haven't had much time to work with them but I may have backed myself into a corner! I assumed that they would, like the TCI PRC-152, program to two sets of Freqs, one VHF & one UHF, by glancing through some posts it now seems that you get either a UHF or a VHF and that's it?? Is this true?? My PRC-152 is kind of a pain to program but it has two Freqs, VHF & UHF that are transceivers & three or more that are receive only. If the 148s aren't equipped the same way it will be a disappointment! You can purchase spare batteries, (I bought one), & some other items that it seems the 148s don't have. On the bad side the 152's 6 pin U-283's won't let you hook up anything that I've tried so far!! I even purchased the "patch cord" that is made to convert the 152's bad 6 pin U-283 work with a normal U-283!! I do like the PRC-148 Transceivers quite a bit, (he says still hoping the he will be able to program both UHF & VHF into his 148)!! One other item & I'll shut up! Do the "real" 148 batteries & their battery AA or 123 holders work with the 148's?? Thank you for the time, I look forward to seeing the answers! Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
United Star AN/PRC-148 MBITR

There currently two offerings: the Spartan and Tactical Workshop working MBITR repros. I personally have no experience with them. There's also a few dummies, the Spartan being usually considered as the only one worthy. But... what about this new contender? A complete set with working military connectors, antennas and competitive functionnality for under 300$... Mmm...
For your pleasure, me and my teammate Yannos ordered two of these : to complete our setups (reenacting), have a good radio and be the early adopters to test them for you!

They are available from several retailers. A group order will also be made here on ASC to save you some money and cross-border trouble

Basic Information
The testing units are 2nd batch (November 2010), recognized by the "CCI" sticker on top. For those who saw Jimmy Sjogren's review (here) might notice that his review unit does not have this sticker which probably explains the differences with ours. "Real Deal" information: Wikipedia, Thales (Official manufacturer's website)

Technical specs
  1. Adjustable stepping (5kHz/6.25kHz/10kHz/12.5kHz/25kHz/50kHz)
  2. Adjustable transmitting power (0.5W/1W/2W/3W/4W/5W)
  3. 100 Memory frequencies
  4. Editable channel name
  5. Voce emission feature (VOX)
  6. Battery indicator
  7. Cable replication
  8. Adjustable backlight brightness
  9. Lockable channel mode
  10. 2000 mAh lithium battery
  11. Headset compatibility: U283/U (electret microphones, or condenser with specific PTT) and Kenwood 2-pins.
  12. Antenna compatibility: TNC

Packaging
  1. 2000 mAh lithium battery pack
  2. 0.34m (13.5po) short antenna
  3. 1.2m (4ft) blade antenna
  4. 1.1m (45po) antenna relocation cable + MOLLE clamp
  5. Power adapter (battery charger)
  6. Programming cable (serial plug... some people might need a USB adapter)
  7. Programming software (see post #2)
  8. User's manual (relatively good english, modern chinese, traditional chinese)
  9. Wrist lanyard
  10. Radio procedures sticker (Medevac/air support/deliberate attack considerations)

Review
Pictures (from the web, I'll take some myself later)

As you can see, the kit is complete. Comes with all you need to use it right away including -something I especially appreciate- United-Star's own version of the Antenna Relocation kit, which allows to install the large antenna on the back of a plate carrier if needed. Unfortunately, the included programming cable uses serial plugs which are getting phased out of most modern computers... You will need either a USB adapter (which might be tricky and cause drivers issues) or, my personal choice, just buy a USB programming cable. Being compatible with Kenwood cables (Kenwood, Puxing, Wouxun, etc... most midrange chinese 4/5W radios) makes it relatively easy to find.

Only thing that seems a bit less professional are the software miniCDs which are blank (not United-Star branded) and... don't always work. Mine did, but I had to send the software to my teammate as his wasn't working for some reason.

Other than this issue, the radio is beautiful; even if it has a plastic outer casing, it has a nice weight, and doesn't have any play anywhere. It feels sturdy, and the plastic is hard (won't get scratched too easily). The U283 comes with a plastic cover, attached with a small lanyard. The channel selection knob clicks nicely in place and the rubber buttons feel great. The LCD is also easy to use.

It is not waterproof, but it is waterresistant. So... if it rains, you shouldn't have any issues. But it's not designed to be submerged, so I would be careful if I have to cross a river or similar situations.

Only complaint I have as far as the exterior goes is the volume knob; it turns too easily, I can definitely see it getting turned all the way up/down ingame, eventually causing communications issues. We'll see later if there's anything to be done about this. If you're using the Kenwood-type plug (or need to program the radio), just remove the two small screws on the "gold" panel at the right of the radio, and make sure you don't loose them!

EDIT: Now that I've gamed it, it is indeed easy to turn the volume button by accident... I personally just set it then added a small piece of ducktape to keep it in place, but I'll check if there's anything else I can do that's less ghetto.

A little realism thing...not huge, but still: the MAST (antenna relocation cable) ends aren't covered, so they are visibly shiny silver. Not a huge issue, but I would've liked if they were either rubber covered or anodized. This should be easy to change with a small piece of heat shrink of the proper diameter.

As far as antennas goes, it's using the TNC plug - same as the real antennas, which can be found on eBay! For those who would prefer more low-profile antennas, it's easy to find SMA adapters to use Puxing/Wouxun/etc antennas. The whip antenna looks good. The blade antenna also looks good; it stays straight in the air if let loose, but also folds down easily without excessive torsion (which could lead to cracks on the joints) if needed. Note that the whip only has the gooseneck part that's working - what's left (the blade itself) is just a dummy for the looks which screws and the tip of the gooseneck.

Don't forget that you need to put some force down, and keep it while screwing on.

The battery pack is detachable and the mecanism is firm, no play at all. Unfortunately, as of feb 26th, none is available separately. I asked the distributor who told be it's not currently planned, but will see what can be done...

So far I used it for two game days (8h) without having to recharge it, so it should be good enough for most people during milsims under 48h (unless you're a designated radio operator and are constantly emitting).

As a base of comparison, a Puxing PX777 has a 1200 mAh battery... and I used had mine for 5 days in -25 weather on hike and it died on the 5th day. At 2000 mAh for the MBITR, it should definitely last long enough.

It comes with a "pin charger" (2,47mm diameter, 12V output, pending confirmation) which you just plug directly into the battery pack (see the small hole, on the battery below). Mine was North-American plug, which is correct for me. I do not know if there is an EU (or other standard) version.

Manual is bilingual (english/chinese). Not perfect, but totally understandable. That being said it's missing a section on software use (no manual on the CD, nothing in the booklet) and the section on programming directly on the radio is very basic, so you'll probably have to play around a bit. Anyone familiar with other radios shouldn't have a problem but newcomers to programmable radios will probably get lost in the options...

I will try to write a basic guide, but anyone willing to help is very welcome!

Many have been asking questions about the U283 plug... well first of all, it is fully working. However, the impedence it has been designed with means that you cannot use condenser mics out of the box.

It will work with, assuming you have the proper plug:
  • Davie's TASC1 (real)
  • Bowman (real)
  • Peltor COMTACI/II (real) with Element/Z-Tactical microphone (it's plug & play without modification)
  • Any repro (Element/Z-Tactical) headset rewired with a U283
  • Peltor COMTAC & MSA Sordins with impedence matching box/mpedence matching PTT
  • H250 (real)
As you can see, given you have the right PTT, it can work with any headset. Otherwise, if it doesn't have the correct impedence, you won't be able to emit properly (reception will work perfectly).

The Kenwood plug will work with all the usual suspects (Z-Tactical/Element, Cavalvy, etc...)

--------------------------

Q&A

Does it work on PMR frequencies?
Yes, it is adjustable within the software. I don't have any PMR radios (here in North-America, we're using FRS/GMRS frequencies) so I can't confirm, but based on the programming capabilities, it is. Emitting strenght is also programmable.

Is it compatible with FRS/GMRS?
Yes (well, 400-470), and yes, programmable either on the radio itself or on the software

(This is my personal radio, which I've "dirtied" a bit with some light paint)

NOTE TO ANYONE LOOKING TO BUY IT
For both FRS/GMRS and PMR frequencies, you should get the UHF 400-470mHz version.

Bottomline: being someone who's striving for realism, I'm glad I bought it. Even with the little issues, which can all be solved somehow,

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have! I will answer these to the best of my knowledge. Please post them in the topic (not by PM) so it can benefit other members... it also allows other people to answer, which can be done much faster than just me. Thanks!

I hope you enjoyed this review and that it will help you make a good and informed decision!

See following post for downloads and other utilities.
BucketHead Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 07:46   #479
Aphariel

Hi, I´m Aphariel of Condenados Airsoft from Spain. I have a problem with this radio. When I connect it to the serial port in the radio´s screen only appears 000.000 and my laptop don´t recognize the radio.
I buyed this radio programmed with basical pmr frec. But I can´t reset the radio either.
Could someone help me?
Thx a lot
Aphariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 12:12   #480
Red chap

Guys,
I'm searching for a pdf version of the User's manual, ca you help me?
thanks
Red chap is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews