Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

REVIEW: AN/PRC-148 MBITR, working replica by United-Star

:

Reviews

Old July 8th, 2011, 13:36   #346
Sitting1Duck

PMR frequencies

Hello guys.

I'm from europe and i want to program PMR frequencies on my United Star. Can i use sub-channels in this radio? Does anyone here have a file to program sub-channels?
Somebody wrote here that i can only use CTCSS codes on full channel mode. I don't understand this. I need some explanation about using CTCSS codes on this radio. Sorry for my ignorance
Sitting1Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:06   #347
bohumin

Guys, does anyone of you use a real Thales broadband antenna insted of a replica?
Please tell if the difference between replica and a real one is so "breath taking" as SaltWaterDrinker said?

Last edited by bohumin; July 13th, 2011 at 08:13..
bohumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:24   #348
Viking_Dane

Send a message via Skype™ to Viking_Dane
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohumin View Post
Guys, does anyone of you use a real Thales broadband antenna insted of a replica?
Please tell if the difference between replica and a real one is so "breath taking" as SaltWaterDrinker said?
First off, the Thales antenna is a REAL broadband antenna, the replica antenna is not. So once you get outside the frequency range of the replica antenna, there is going to be a HUGE deference. My replica antenna is tuned for 400-470 MHz by default, and is useless out side of that scope, the Thales antenna is tune for use in the 90-512 MHz range.
I suggest that you read up on some basic Antenna theory, once you understand the basics you will have a much better understanding of the deference between the to antennas and why the replica is no good outside its frequency range.
Go to http://www.antanna-theory.com is a good site with solid basic Theory and more advanced theory. Happy reading
Viking_Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 06:59   #349
Mike-NL

Hey guys.

First of all my apologie for the bad grammar englisch.

Update:

Well, it seems to be that the head set i recently bought is a Z element headset.(shame)
I hooked it up en tested and what i got so far is excellent sound on the receiving part but the transmitting part is so quiet that i have to sett the volume of the receiving PMR to its maximum and still its to quiet to make anything out of the transmission.
I am stuck, anybody any idea's

cheers Mike

Last edited by Mike-NL; July 19th, 2011 at 19:00.. Reason: Progress
Mike-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 03:26   #350
Mysuperior

Mike-NL.. If u read the whole thread u will notice this subject has been mentioned a few times, the impedence is the problem.. How to solve this u can find by actually reading it again and if you dont find it.. re-read it
Mysuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 04:44   #351
Balnk

Mysuperior, you make it seem like there is an easy fix. I don't think there is one that is proven to work. The subject of getting the impedence correct is still cloudy.
Balnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 18:29   #352
Conker

Click HERE
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:44   #353
Mysuperior

Balnk: the problem has been solved and there is a couple of ppl that has fixed it, to fix a impedence match you have to switch the mic (yes on a sordin) to electret mic condenser, u can take one from a ACM sordin desolder it and put it in the RS sordin, notice that there is plus and minus contacts.. But if u solder it wrong its just to resolder it.. There is some ppl on the swedish equilant that have done this with success, it works pretty much as with the comtacs but switching only the mic
Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:07   #354
EagleDriver

What Balnk means is that switching the mic is not always where the issue is. On my Peltor made PTT for my dual comm Comtac, Peltor had to change the wiring within the push to talk to get the radio to transmit. There was no difference with real versus knockoff microphone and I still use the same microphone as when I bought it.

What I am wondering, is that since I bought my Comtac II headset only about a year ago, did they make a change to the headset.
EagleDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 14:47   #355
jurgen975

Looks like these radios are sold out everywhere,if anyone knows a shop where they are still selling them let me know
jurgen975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 15:10   #356
Mysuperior

EagleDriver: ok, I see.. did they transmit at all? I got no replica so I can't test.

If there's no transmission at all its probably something wrong with the PTT or headset but if there's a low transmission it's probably only to switch the mic

OR someone with to much money could try with a TCI high amplifier PTT
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:21   #357
EagleDriver

If I recall correctly with mine when you keyed the mic you could hear the carrier but nothing that was spoken. This was the case with both real and replica mics.
EagleDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 19:06   #358
KNUDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
I ordered one, i'll give u a short report if it will work when it arrived.
KNUDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:15   #359
Viking_Dane

Send a message via Skype™ to Viking_Dane
Here are som pictures of the internals of the replica antenna, next step is to modify it to a broadband antenna. More on this will be posted as i make progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00088.jpg (575.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00089.jpg (696.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00090.jpg (477.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00091.jpg (461.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00092.jpg (536.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00093.jpg (505.6 KB, 13 views)
Viking_Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 15:43   #360
Sitting1Duck

I bought a MSA Gallet matching box. I'm going to try it tomorrow and see if it works. I believe it will match the impedance between my rs Comtac II and the United Star.
Sitting1Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews