Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Army MEU ( R27 ) Review & Compatibility Report

:

Reviews

Old March 16th, 2010, 17:48   #16
Shrapnel[Op-For]

Any idea which outer barrel sets will work? I've been looking for a chrome outer set (also have a army 1911).
Shrapnel[Op-For] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 19:20   #17
juicy

I'm not 100% as I haven't tried any others myself - however, the Army barrel lugs are pretty standard with all other TM-type bull barrels, and thus, any of the TM compatible 1911/MEU barrels will work (you could even go for a bull barrel and do away with the barrel bushing if you really wanted to). My barrel isn't locking into the lugs properly, which doesn't seem to affect anything functionally, but I do intend to be ordering a Nine Ball as I've read nothing about them yet - I figure someone might as well take the fall and try them out.
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 23:45   #18
juicy

Woo hoo - update time...

Got the Nova magwell on - note that a KJW leaf spring (believe it or not - improved trigger response, though an aftermarket one would probably do an even better job) will not fit in the place of the Army one without a bit of modification (grinding down the left side). The Nova magwell (adds lots of weight to the rear of the gun, plus makes changing magazines much quicker) will not fit without grinding down a tab that pushes against the leaf spring. In addition, the MAG spring kit for TM 1911's that I installed has really livened up my clone, in my opinion - everything feels.. snappier, crisper, smoother.

As to stock parts - my magazine catch is starting to wear down - there is a little tab (moulding imperfection possibly?) that seems to act as a make-shift trigger stop (if this was intentional or not is another story) that has worn down considerably. This makes me concerned as I have noticed increasing over travel of my trigger over the past days, as well as my worries on how the magazine catch might just wear down/snap like WE 1911 ones are known to do. The slide's finish is starting to show some wear along the side/top corners. Finger grease is starting to work its way into the finish, as well - I haven't bothered to clean the externals yet, haha.

I have ordered a set of nitesiters (glowing dots) for addition on my MEU's blank sights, as I'm finding that quick acquisition of a proper sight picture is proving to be a problem.

Also, as an edit to one of my above posts - it was a 7/8" 22-or-21-shot grouping, after measuring it somewhat more accurately (i.e. used a ruler to measure the diameter of the hole instead of just eyeballing it). I'm not that good of a shot, lol.

Yup, I'm definitely going to be gaming my MEU on the 27th, and I'll bring a field report back with me. To be honest, my MEU probably shoots slightly better than I can perform as a shooter, as of this moment. We'll see.
Old April 8th, 2010, 00:32   #19
Ross

I have this gun too. The army mag lasted 10 one hour indoor cqb games. Now all the propane escapes after the first shot. Luckily I have a tm mag. It fits very very tightly into the gun. To the point where you push the mag release button, and the mag stays in unless you force it out with your thumb. But it works. After about 15 one hour cqb games, the trigger became faulty. Im not sure if its a problem with the safety, or the trigger itself. But it takes 2-3 pulls of the trigger for the gun to fire. A gun tech is currently looking at it.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:43   #20
juicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I have this gun too. The army mag lasted 10 one hour indoor cqb games. Now all the propane escapes after the first shot. Luckily I have a tm mag. It fits very very tightly into the gun. To the point where you push the mag release button, and the mag stays in unless you force it out with your thumb. But it works. After about 15 one hour cqb games, the trigger became faulty. Im not sure if its a problem with the safety, or the trigger itself. But it takes 2-3 pulls of the trigger for the gun to fire. A gun tech is currently looking at it.
2/3 of my TM MEU mags fit fine. The third one fits the same as yours, Ross. Tried out two other TM MEU mags, and they also fit fine.

Army MEU mags suck. Hands down. Way too many problems with them out of the box.

As to trigger stuff screwing up - the leaf spring that comes with the MEU honestly sucks. Chances are that replacing your leaf spring ASAP would be good. I'm not sure if this is wrong with yours, but I know I junked my leaf spring (called a sear spring on some of the overseas retailers' sites) ASAP.
Old April 17th, 2010, 21:55   #21
Ross

Apparantly the problem was lubrication. I lube my gun, but this piece is deep in the gun components. I havnt got it back yet so i dont know moar than that.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 23:13   #22
Aegiis
Sgt. Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy View Post
2/3 of my TM MEU mags fit fine. The third one fits the same as yours, Ross. Tried out two other TM MEU mags, and they also fit fine.

Army MEU mags suck. Hands down. Way too many problems with them out of the box.
Hell yes. Mine never saw a game before the fill valve died. TM ones worked fine, tested them today in a game setting.

Tight fit for both of mine.

www.anvairsoft.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kull View Post
Aegiis ?* raison
Aegiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 05:03   #23
juicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegiis View Post
Hell yes. Mine never saw a game before the fill valve died. TM ones worked fine, tested them today in a game setting.

Tight fit for both of mine.
Consensus? Army MEU magazines suck. If you're buying an Army MEU, be prepared to replace the included magazine the day that you pull your MEU out of the box. TM's are your best bet (minus a few fitment quirks)... good luck with finding one at a good price, short of importing your own.
Old April 18th, 2010, 14:56   #24
Aegiis
Sgt. Pitbull

Quote:
Consensus? Army MEU magazines suck. If you're buying an Army MEU, be prepared to replace the included magazine the day that you pull your MEU out of the box. TM's are your best bet (minus a few fitment quirks)... good luck with finding one at a good price, short of importing your own.
I'll see what I can do inside the MEU to get a better fit for the TM mags.

And since it's already useless, I'll see what I can do about that crappy original mag. I'll post when I have something to report.

I do have to say, even stock, with the TM mags, despite the "bad" weather yesterday (humidity and a bit cold), it performed well.

www.anvairsoft.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kull View Post
Aegiis ?* raison
Aegiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:32   #25
Coresair

Sorry for bringing back this thread, but I just got my own R27 in the mail yesterday and it's great! It's my first airsoft gun.

I had a question about barrel wobble, how much is there supposed to be in there really, I just want to know if the wobble I have in mine is normal.
Coresair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:08   #26
Conker

For the mags, I personally had problems, but now... everything is magically solved. I did two things:

1. Buy el-cheapo refillable lighters (mine were buthane jet lighters for 1$ each)
2. Hit them with whatever you want (hammers work well lol )
3. Use the o-ring to replace the one on the Army fill valve
4. Put in your silicone oil bottle for a day to make sure the valve & oring is soaked with oil

And also, the only place mine was leaking is on the front, under the spring. I filled that area with hot glue, and voilĂ*! It's been working for a month without leaks, we'll see how it holds up (on 2 Army mags, surprisingly my Tercel mag didn't have a single problem since last august)
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 18:06   #27
juicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
For the mags, I personally had problems, but now... everything is magically solved. I did two things:

1. Buy el-cheapo refillable lighters (mine were buthane jet lighters for 1$ each)
2. Hit them with whatever you want (hammers work well lol )
3. Use the o-ring to replace the one on the Army fill valve
4. Put in your silicone oil bottle for a day to make sure the valve & oring is soaked with oil

And also, the only place mine was leaking is on the front, under the spring. I filled that area with hot glue, and voilĂ*! It's been working for a month without leaks, we'll see how it holds up (on 2 Army mags, surprisingly my Tercel mag didn't have a single problem since last august)
LOL. Fair enough. Update on the mag issue... got a fourth TM MEU mag, as well as tried out optix's two MEU mags... no problems with any of the other ones, just that one seems to not be quite to spec. It seems like the feed lips are slightly wider than the others, though I couldn't care less, as I'm not letting my MEU mags free-fall to the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coresair View Post
Sorry for bringing back this thread, but I just got my own R27 in the mail yesterday and it's great! It's my first airsoft gun.

I had a question about barrel wobble, how much is there supposed to be in there really, I just want to know if the wobble I have in mine is normal.
No worries for bringing back the thread, I was just about to post again myself. As to wobble, it doesn't frigging matter, lol. It's just a pet peeve of mine. The design in Marui-type GBB's basically means that the hop up unit (and thus the rubber/inner barrel) are fixed in place on a metal bit inside the frame. Therefore, if your outer barrel wobbles all over the place, it has a very minimal effect on accuracy (though increased wear may occur?).

On the note of barrel wobble... my barrel bushing decided to take a hike yesterday while playing. Turns out that the TM one (thanks optix, I used yours will taking apart your MEU, lol) doesn't fit in the Army slide. I'm sure that with some modification, something could be worked out, but it's just a pain in the ass that the stock Army barrel bushing is just so damn loose. I will try to fit a TM or Guarder or whatever-else-I-can-find barrel bushing properly into the Army slide, ASAP... though I'm sort-of considering just slapping in a bull barrel and ignoring the fact that the spring guide plug isn't designed to be used with one (in terms of the RS).

Final note for this update: KA air seal rubber thing plus KM tight bore = love for Matrix .25's. Dead accurate, at least as accurate as my ability dictates that I can make use of.
Old May 17th, 2010, 20:08   #28
Coresair

Thanks Juicy, I'll put that on my list of things to do!

I had another question though : Is it normal that my slide does not lock when the mag is empty? I really find it odd it doesn't.

thank you for your time.
Old May 17th, 2010, 20:47   #29
juicy

Uhh... it should lock back, no problem. If you rack the slide back by hand with an empty mag in there, does the slide lock back?
Old May 17th, 2010, 20:57   #30
Coresair

Quote:
Uhh... it should lock back, no problem. If you rack the slide back by hand with an empty mag in there, does the slide lock back?
Not really, I will get a half-cocked hammer when the mag is empty, but since I've had it (saturday the 15th) no slide locked back when I emptied mags, I have the original mag and 2 TMs.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews