Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Any one with experiance with flat-hops?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old August 20th, 2013, 17:02   #16
blackjack21
ERMAHGERD DA SKER ERS FERLIN!

I am using an LCT AK hop up. This is for my CYMA RPK. I also am using a 509mm 6.01 madbull.
blackjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 17:09   #17
blackjack21

Ok dumb question here.

If I am reading right you still use hopup/nub pressure on an Rhop? I was always under the impression that Rhops provided there own intrusion into the barrel that made applying hop irrelevant.

IF you do still need to apply hop pressure in an rhop would you be able to combine a flat hop nub with an Rhop system?
Old August 20th, 2013, 17:22   #18
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

a flathop nub is generally taller than a standard nub or the prommy bridge nub. It has to be taller because there's thickness on a standard bucking where the mound is. The rhop patch fills this void and you shave the mound off the bucking.

A flat hop setup has no mound, just a cylinder of rubber so if you used a regular nub, your hopup adjustment wheel would bottom out and there would still be no protrusion of the rubber material into the barrel to initiate hop.

Rhop isn't magical it still works the same way as a standard hop setup, it just replaces the mound with something that's a far more consistent shape. You can use a standard cylindrical nub, a block of eraser, HS5 m-nub, or a flathop nub. Though block shaped nub replacements work best once it's all working properly.

Depending on how much protrusion you get is how you know you need to sand more on the patch which is what can make an r-hop install tedious.
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:01   #19
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack21 View Post
I was always under the impression that Rhops provided there own intrusion into the barrel that made applying hop irrelevant
That would be fixed hop, that would be bad.

Stealth, not everyone is as good as us, lots of people doing R-hop need to take the barrel group apart to tweak it afterwards.

Knight, sorry dude, you're not doing it wrong, but you're testing your work wrong.

I've done over a dozen so far and only the first and one other had to be re-worked. Once I nailed down my testing method I never had to go back and tweak a patch. It's all about your testing.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:12   #20
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

dude, BBs push through fine with a naked barrel and rubber, they don't push through fine when it's all packed into the hopup unit, that's that. After adjusting they all work fine though and they all have great accuracy.

Maybe I just have bad luck and all the barrels I've done are in between the kit patch sizes. A couple required less adjustment than the other 2. It's the nub size that seems to push it down at 0 hop. I've asked HS5 about it and he said it was luck of the draw, if it still shoots straight after needing that much rework then it's still installed right, it just takes longer.
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:26   #21
Renegade)
A Total Bastard

I use the modify right now, I pretty much try any hopup version, I am very impressed with the flat. You just have to modify it to your set up or tastes.

Do not use the junk rubber that came with it. Grab a quality one, I use the Systema Energy, cut off the nub and sand flat, or even better, cut off both that and the groove channel, and flip the rubber around so that you have a 100% clean patch to use for the hop, I got extremely good results from doing that.

You need to super glue a tiny extra peice of rubber to act as a shim between the hop arm and the rubber, I noticed it needed a bit of extra firm and hop to it to really perform.

As Stealth said, it has to be perfectly centered, it takes a few tries to do, but when you do it like I found, it really is top notch.
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:29   #22
ThunderCactus

I've had two other guys have the same issue your having, where the Rhop applies pressure after it's been assembled into the hop chamber.
I've only noticed it on the second one I did, but I adjusted my installation method to compensate for any compression pressure from installing it into a hop chamber, and I make sure the rubber sleeve is 100% flat on the inside. I haven't had any recurrences of having hop applied after the fact.

You just have to identify what's going on, which you've already done, and then adjust your testing and installation methods
Old August 21st, 2013, 14:24   #23
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Maybe a picture tutorial would help... maybe I'll publish one... some day...
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 15:09   #24
Adamlxlx

Wow i didnt think the modify rubber was all that bad sheesh. It performs very well in my ak with very little fps deviation. Gonna have to experiment with softer rubbers.
Adamlxlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 15:12   #25
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

softer hopup rubbers seal better for the nozzle side... but aren't terribly great for lifting heavier rounds at higher fps.

harder rubbers don't seal as well but lift heavier rounds much better. This is why the Rhop is good.. the material is a reasonably hard tubing that lifts heavier rounds very well, but you combine it with the soft, best sealing shaved rubber of your choice for the best of both worlds.
Old August 21st, 2013, 15:31   #26
Adamlxlx

I get how it works i just have fine performance with the harder modify rubber i am using is all. An interesting concept for sure. I dont pay too much attention to most airsoft fads. At least this one has some thought behind it.
Old August 21st, 2013, 15:35   #27
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

reaps was a fad. magpul is a fad.

r-hop is results.
Old August 21st, 2013, 15:42   #28
Adamlxlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
reaps was a fad. magpul is a fad.

r-hop is results.
Haha good one.
Old August 21st, 2013, 15:53   #29
ThunderCactus

SCS was a fad lol
Old August 21st, 2013, 16:28   #30
blackjack21

Well I won't have access to a better rubber so I will press ahead with the modify rubber that comes with the kit. It should arrive tomorrow and I can test it on Saturday or Sunday. I will post an update.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications