Airsoft Canada
https://www.replicaairguns.ca/airsoft

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

What battery plugs do you use in your AEG?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

View Poll Results: What type of battery plugs do you use?
Tamiya 23 21.70%
Deans 75 70.75%
Other 8 7.55%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:26   #16
MaciekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ▼Stripes▲ View Post
xt60s here. pretty much because Maciek told me to.
Hah, I'd rather not wield that kind of influence. We hardly even see each other on the field these days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ▼Stripes▲ View Post
Easy to solder and heat shrink; a nice bridge between deans and tamiya. I also dislike how exposed the contacts are on deans when not plugged in.
Agreed, the biggest win of XT60 is clean and completely non-frustrating soldering. I would endure quite a jump in price and other inconveniences just to get the super easy and secure soldering that you get with XT60.

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 09:42   #17
Pesky

Send a message via AIM to Pesky Send a message via Skype™ to Pesky
I've got XT60's ready to be installed but i just haven't gotten around to doing it, i know XT60's are easy to solder. but now a new gun i got now came with deans so i will be leaving deans on that gun.

Now i have a concern and questions, i was looking at getting a mosfet and the mosfet has deans connectors, and its mostly for the gun i want to put XT60 on, so should i just forget about the XT60 and just go with deans ?

and this is the Mosfet i am looking at getting, so i guess if i didn't want to go with deans and go with XT60 i could go with a raptor or something ?
Old October 17th, 2012, 20:27   #18
MaciekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
I've got XT60's ready to be installed but i just haven't gotten around to doing it, i know XT60's are easy to solder. but now a new gun i got now came with deans so i will be leaving deans on that gun.

Now i have a concern and questions, i was looking at getting a mosfet and the mosfet has deans connectors, and its mostly for the gun i want to put XT60 on, so should i just forget about the XT60 and just go with deans ?

and this is the Mosfet i am looking at getting, so i guess if i didn't want to go with deans and go with XT60 i could go with a raptor or something ?
That's 100% up to you, Deans and XT60 are pretty much evenly-matched in terms of power delivery. It's all about convenience and personal preference. Either choice is safe.

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 23:48   #19
Pesky

Send a message via AIM to Pesky Send a message via Skype™ to Pesky
Okay perfect! well i think im going to stick with deans, no point of going with deans and XT60 to many battery which different connectors. might as well have half as many battery's with all the same connectors,

but yes i haven't gamed with deans yet but i can only imagine how much better they are going to be then tamyia's
Old October 18th, 2012, 00:11   #20
winterrises

Just converted all my rifles to repro deans, soldering them doesn't bug me that much.
winterrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 00:15   #21
RaisinBran

Waiting to order a few Deans and batteries from hobbyking.

So far all my AEG's are stock tamiyas :C They are a pain.
JG M4A1
RaisinBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 00:39   #22
DustMagnet

My charger didn't have a Tamiya cable with it, so I switched my guns and batteries to Deans. I buy them at the local hobby shop.
DustMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 00:44   #23
JerryMcGoulBerry

Deans all the way. Besides being less popular and having to solder them on, i think deans wins in every way possible
JerryMcGoulBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 00:49   #24
THe_Silencer

I find that Deans are no more difficult to solder properly than XT60s. It takes more effort but it's not really more difficult. If you're having difficulty then look into changing your soldering setup, get more practice, or use flux, which makes a world of a difference for me. They make knockoff Deans now with grips as well so that's 2 advantages that I don't see XT60s as having. XT60s are great if your setup can take it but if space is a premium (buffer tube lipo, etc.) then I would have no choice but to stick with deans.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
-Founder of Steel City Hamilton Infantry and Tactics
-Certified level 43 Autosniper by Commander Amos
THe_Silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 01:08   #25
RaisinBran

You could get a soldering buddy from hobbyking too!
JG M4A1
RaisinBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 07:21   #26
coach
aka coachster

Deans are pretty straight forward to solder without a helper.

As long as you tin the wires and deans first and have a minimum 40w iron, you're golden.

I do sometimes lay my snips or pliers on the dean to add a bit of weight but once everything is tinned, sandwich your iron between the wire and contact to heat. Once they start to heat and you see the solder start to melt, pull the iron out and press them together while laying the iron on top of the wire to ensure a good heat transfer through the wire.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:03   #27
SuperHog

Use what you like. I still see a lot of people using Tamiya.

XT60 are bullet connectors with a nice grip around it. You can always use standalone bullet connectors to save space.

Last edited by SuperHog; October 18th, 2012 at 10:06..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:12   #28
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I use deans, I'd like to try the xt60s but since they're a bit larger and space is at a premium in my p90, I use deans for the size, and because I share batteries with my other guns, they all run deans.

had a bad run in with shitty solder a couple weeks ago... for some reason it wouldn't melt at my iron's regular temp, and holding it longer ended up melting the terminal right out of the plug. o_o

Last edited by lurkingknight; October 18th, 2012 at 12:17..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:39   #29
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Only gripe I have with deans is the lack of grip, but I've upgraded to XT deans, no more problems.
There's also different brands of deans that are off spec, but if you bend the + tab outwards a little bit, it ensures proper contact with everything.
And best of all, deans can be jammed into other types of connectors for charging! lol
I've used deans to charge large tamiya and 2 prong electric shavers before
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 13:17   #30
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
I use deans, I'd like to try the xt60s but since they're a bit larger and space is at a premium in my p90, I use deans for the size, and because I share batteries with my other guns, they all run deans.

had a bad run in with shitty solder a couple weeks ago... for some reason it wouldn't melt at my iron's regular temp, and holding it longer ended up melting the terminal right out of the plug. o_o
If you really like deans then stay with deans with grips. The XT60 is not so big you can not use it. Your Lipo and wiring is chewing majority of the space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xt60-deans.jpg (48.9 KB, 1 views)
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications