:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old April 18th, 2012, 15:21   #1486
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabies View Post
is the kjw a TM clone?
For the most part. It's about 90% clone.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 23:51   #1487
one2three_us

so if I wanna build another hi-capa race gun from scratch, can I use the receiver, valve knocker, disconnector from KJW, or I will be better off getting WEs.

From some other post, I saw you mention you have some TM original receiver leftovers, is that still the case?
one2three_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 05:53   #1488
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2three_us View Post
so if I wanna build another hi-capa race gun from scratch, can I use the receiver, valve knocker, disconnector from KJW, or I will be better off getting WEs.

From some other post, I saw you mention you have some TM original receiver leftovers, is that still the case?
kjw disconnector won't work.

I do have original TM receivers, but from what I recall, you're in the US. You're better off looking for prohibited items like that from anywhere EXCEPT Canada.
Old April 30th, 2012, 15:11   #1489
Nighthawk70

Can you tell me which brands make a Slide that will fit a TM Hi-capa without problems?
I tried to install a Guarder slide, the springfield one in aluminium but it was a complete disaster. It took about a week, but then it ruined my TM outer barrell and when I tried to put the old ABS slide it didn't work well... it jammed very often.
Nighthawk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 17:28   #1490
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk70 View Post
Can you tell me which brands make a Slide that will fit a TM Hi-capa without problems?
I tried to install a Guarder slide, the springfield one in aluminium but it was a complete disaster. It took about a week, but then it ruined my TM outer barrell and when I tried to put the old ABS slide it didn't work well... it jammed very often.
If you're talking about metal slides specifically, then I'm sorry to say, you've screwed the pooch due to an uninformed attempt to upgrade.

When upgrading to a metal slide, one should ALWAYS be matching the upgrade with a metal outer barrel (preferably from the same manufacturer as the slide).

If you don't match a metal barrel set to the metal slide upgrade, the result will be exactly as you are describing: a plastic outer barrel/chamber that has its lugs crushed by the impacting metal slide, which renders it useless - even with the original plastic slide. At this point, your outer barrel set is damaged.

Your options are to:

1) Get another plastic outer barrel set to work with your original plastic slide.
2) Get a metal outer barrel set to work with your metal slide.

Regarding matched manufacturers between the slide and the outer barrel set, the reason for that is also as you've experienced: cycling issues and unexpected fitment requirements. When cross-matching brands, slight differences in tolerances and/or dimensions can yield unexpected results. If you're not prepared to do the fitment work to cross-fit brands, then take the gun to someone experienced, or buy matched brands to save yourself headaches. Even matching OEM components to aftermarket parts may not yield a 100% compatible experience - despite the fact that the OEM component was the base of the design.

With all that said, Guarder makes some of the worst fitting Hi-Capa/1911 slides and outer barrel/chamber sets that I've had the (dis)pleasure of installing. Expect to perform destructive modifications to a few areas and to other components in order to just get Guarder slides to fit and cycle smoothly. Not only are they poorly manufactured, but they are poorly engineered as well. I've mentioned this more than a few times in this thread - I really do not like Guarder slides. However, in spite of all this, I've successfully installed many Guarder slides, but none were without some effort. They are cheap and you do get a lot of bang for the buck if you know how to install them properly. But realize that the money saved with the cheaper initial purchase of the product ended up going towards time required to install said slide. ILLusion Kinetics, Shooters Design, Prime all make much better slides which provide a much easier installation experience. You are paying more for these brands, but as with many things in life, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by ILLusion; April 30th, 2012 at 17:38..
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:45   #1491
one2three_us

I purchased an airsoft surgen slide with compensator. my problem is it keep chewing up the o-ring that holds the compensator and outer barrel. i pretty much have to replace the o-ring every 10 mags. any idea how i can address it? kinda piss of with the issue. THX!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 19:44   #1492
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

You could try contacting the retailer for a resolution...
Old May 3rd, 2012, 21:37   #1493
one2three_us

Tried that, all they did was sent me another o-ring. I guess I shall move on to another slide
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:46   #1494
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Where is this o-ring placed? The only o-ring that I've ever seen in these compensated slide sets are hidden inside the barrel, and only acts as a friction lock for the compensator sleeve against the outer barrel and chamber itself. It should be receiving zero impact.
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:29   #1495
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

Quote:
Tried that, all they did was sent me another o-ring. I guess I shall move on to another slide
Wouldn't it be better to just get a metal outer barrel to match your current slide
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:11   #1496
one2three_us

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Where is this o-ring placed? The only o-ring that I've ever seen in these compensated slide sets are hidden inside the barrel, and only acts as a friction lock for the compensator sleeve against the outer barrel and chamber itself. It should be receiving zero impact.
That exectly what I have. I thought it shouldnt receive any pressure as well bit it is not the case. I guess the compensator keeps getting hit by the slide and the o-ring just can't keeping up w/ the abused. This is another reason I am looking for the SV IMM hybrid barrel with comp and hope it is a single piece design and won't have the same problem. Just wondering if the hybrid barrel w/ comp have the same setup?
Old May 4th, 2012, 21:22   #1497
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
That exectly what I have. I thought it shouldnt receive any pressure as well bit it is not the case. I guess the compensator keeps getting hit by the slide and the o-ring just can't keeping up w/ the abused. This is another reason I am looking for the SV IMM hybrid barrel with comp and hope it is a single piece design and won't have the same problem. Just wondering if the hybrid barrel w/ comp have the same setup?
Hybricomp setups have the compensator welded on.
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:13   #1498
steven26

Are there any differences between the KJW tanio koba tactical grip and the authentic tanio koba grip for the hi-capa?
steven26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:45   #1499
TheDuShen

hop up base

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with replacing the hop up base for the hi-capa - specifically:

- http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...ui_Hi_CAPA.htm
- http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/upgrade-p...1-4-3-gbb.html

are there any benefits of switching to either aluminum or brass compared to the original tm hop up base?
TheDuShen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 17:35   #1500
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven26 View Post
Are there any differences between the KJW tanio koba tactical grip and the authentic tanio koba grip for the hi-capa?
One is clear. The other isn't.

This is assuming you're referring to the Canadian-legal KJW KP-05, and not the international version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuShen View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with replacing the hop up base for the hi-capa - specifically:

- http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...ui_Hi_CAPA.htm
- http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/upgrade-p...1-4-3-gbb.html

are there any benefits of switching to either aluminum or brass compared to the original tm hop up base?
The only benefit that I've seen, is that the brass one seems to hold the screws tight for a longer period of time. The original one seems to back itself off over time. I would imagine the AIP aluminum hop up chamber would be even worse with this.

(on a side note, I just got to your emails. Replying to them right now.)
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications