Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Quick DIY anti-fogging tip

:

Gear Discussion

Old April 12th, 2016, 09:28   #16
Bigload

Cat Crap

$6 USD + $9 shipping killed the cost, but it worked for me.
Bigload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 13:31   #17
Rossco66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigload View Post
Cat Crap

Now there's a troll post worthy of a faint golf clap. :duke:

kudos to you sir... I tip my hat in your general direction
Old April 12th, 2016, 14:35   #18
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Since I've moved from AB to BC I've been struggling with the same issues. Here we have wet air and must wear full seal versus glasses. I've bought so many high end ballistic goggles and anti-fog products it gives me a headache. Your eyewear may fog completely over in minutes of starting to play.

Any and all dedicated anti-fog products do not work, or work for a short time. At best it'll be water instead of fog, but you still can't see. I've tried Rain-X and few other products without success, but be careful of using chemicals as they may affect the integrity of the lense and or sweat into your eye.

What you need to start with is goggles with very good airflow, you may even want to keep the foam in the bottom to help regulate rising heat from your breath or out of your collar. If you're a bigger guy or you sweat/heat up a lot, get larger goggles. Basically avoid low profile. I reccomend the Revision Wolf Spiders or Desert Locusts.

Second, and number one above all, use a fan kit. You can get goggles with fans built in and these will work for most, but if not, mount a couple 10 - 15 or 20mm fans, with a battery pack blowing straight in the sides or top of your goggles. This'll cure fogging for anyone, though try and get at least semi quiet fans as buzzing is annoying and hampers your hearing. Also, get smaller battery packs to strap to the band.

Regularly treating your goggles with a solid anti-fog product will help, but is a backup thing you do. Research reviews from military and outdoor/survival people, don't just buy what's at Canadian Tire. If it worked in the city or the desert doesn't mean it'll work in the harbor or in the forest.

Lastly, in a pinch, or really at any time, use spit. Many sources will tell you to "spit and rub", but that's not the best way I've found (maybe if all else has failed and your life is at risk), but I use a drink from my water bladder, swishing it around in my mouth and then spitting it into my lenses, the swirling it around in them, then letting them drain. This method should last longer than other quick fixes, and if you've left the foam in the bottom of your goggles, then the effect will increase.

Other things that'll help, keep breath away from your face by using a mesh mask over a paintball or neoprene. Don't wear a brimmed hat, or turn the brim away from the front of your face as it'll help slow heat dispersement. Open your collar to help dissipate heat outwards instead of funneling it straight up. You can also wrap a shemagh around your neck to help with this.

Also, if anyone has half a brain and plays all day, you should have a water hydration system. It keeps you hydrated, will help with overheating, etc.

Last edited by Ricochet; April 12th, 2016 at 14:39..
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 15:07   #19
Rossco66

I'm not sure how well these work but they sound like a solid solution. My only concern would be how much they obstruct the top section of the lens.

http://www.habervision.com/Haber-Eli...info_p_26.html

There was a used pair of goggles on ASC a couple of weeks ago with these installed which brought them to my attention. Apparently I was too late to pick those up
Old April 12th, 2016, 15:11   #20
Jaeger_CDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigload View Post
Cat Crap

I've found this item in the check out aisle in Mark's work wear house. I bought it as a joke but it does do a good job on keeping lens clear
Jaeger_CDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 20:59   #21
BobbyDangerous

Thermal Lenses

BA Level 3 Certified
BobbyDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 23:46   #22
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Or, you know, actual dedicated anti-fogging stuff.

All you're doing is filling all the micro-pores in the lens and/or putting a thin hydrophobic film on the lens.

Yes, dish soap works great, but it's always just a matter of how LONG it will work for.
Dish soap DOES work, but if you get enough humidity on the lens, the dish soap, or shaving cream, or shampoo is (guess what) soluble in water, and washes off.
If you use a hydrophobic liquid, then it doesn't wash off very quickly at all.
Tried FogTech and some other drop stuff that is supposed to work magic.
Both suck worst than shaving cream (best "home made" solution so far).

Applying some RainX tomorrow and will report.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2016, 09:35   #23
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreefer View Post
I was curious about this so I googled it. Couldn't find anything. What's your source?
col hadfield mentioned it in one of his videos about overcoming adversity. I believe it was a TED talk. He was recalling a spacewalk when one of their new fancy chemicals they used for antifogging ended up back in his eyes and blinding him outside on the walk. He then mentioned that he had them switch back to j&j baby shampoo.

I also recall reading it somewhere else in another article some years ago.

edit:

your google-fu sucks.

last paragraph:
https://www.quora.com/How-do-astrona...eir-spacesuits

the ted talk referred to:
https://www.ted.com/talks/chris_hadf...ce?language=en

more people using it as antifog

http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messa...358F&page=1&#9

the search string used:

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...ampoo+anti+fog

that took all of 20 minutes, which included reading a bunch of those articles and links.

Last edited by lurkingknight; April 24th, 2016 at 09:52..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion