Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

A Newbie Wanting Some Info On Starter Gear

:

Newbie Tank

Old March 16th, 2010, 20:17   #1
GODSPEED|seven

Question A Newbie Wanting Some Info On Starter Gear

Hi, this being my first post, I would like to make it clear that I am a complete noob at airsoft, I do play Paintball, but would reather play Airsoft for the realism and to avoid spending 50-100$ just for a few hours of play.

So just to put you -the reader- into context, I haven't played a game yet, but I will be playing one in the coming weeks; so here is a list of what I would really appreciate my purchase to include

On a 300$ Budget: (For either a Gas Pistol or an AEG)

For Gas Pistol: (Sig, HK, Beretta, Glock, FN)

- Very dark tinted (no clear plastic or orange tips)
- Mainly metal parts
- Metal slide
- 300 FPS
- Blowback

For an AEG: (HK, Steyr AUG A3, FN ... leaning towards CQB style)

- Mainly metal (only plastic on a Real Steel that is plastic, ie: G36)
- no Clear plastic or orange tips (dark tinted plastic only)
- Blowback action, I like to see the bolt move back and forth
- 360 + FPS
- Price including Battery + Charger

I want something that will last! I don't want something that will break due to poor manufacturing, I take good care of my things!

I have the SURPLUS IG Military Surplus store not too far from my place, and I've seriously been looking at the KJW Beretta and Glock.. They told me they'd receive KJW SIG and HK USP pistols soon. I would mainly like a SIG replica, but I don't know that much about quality. There is alos this new Skeleton Sidearms SS226 that goes for around 185$.. anyone have an idea of the quality?

I've been reading some reviews of KJW and everyone seems to have a different opinion, some reviews say the KJW Beretta is a very good gun, others say its not good.. And so many ppl seem to have had a first gun that breaks after only a few games! This somehow worries me alot. I'm someone who takes care of my things, Nothing usually breaks on me.

I would like to have some experienced Airsofters give me good counsel on the proper things to look for. Will 290 and 320 FPS make a difference? or is it mainly for Marketing? What brands have a good track record? etc.. Any good info is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
GODSPEED|seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 20:28   #2
kalnaren

If you want an AEG that will last and is of good quality, you need more than $300. Airsoft guns aren't cheap. One that meets all your requirements is going to cost you at least $500. You can probably get a G&G one for $450-ish, but it won't be full metal.

Honestly, I'd forget a pistol (you don't need one to play airsoft) and save more for an AEG.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."

Last edited by kalnaren; March 16th, 2010 at 20:32..
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:16   #3
GODSPEED|seven

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'm just hoping I can get something decent within the next 2-3 weeks. Maybe if I get a el cheapo Canadian Tire gun for the first game.. and return it afterwards and later get a good AEG..

Do you (or anyone else) know what is the best G36KV I can get? I've been reading reviews on the SRC G36K Gen III and they seem to be more than decent guns for around 380$. The only thing is that I think they don't have blowback.. Or if I could find a good Steyr AUG A3..
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:20   #4
ex
Wanna buy some Nod's? #StolenValour

Save your money...Get something worth buying and not returning. Have some patience. The season doesn't really start for a month or so.
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:20   #5
yuhaoyang
asexual lumbricus terrestris

Send a message via MSN to yuhaoyang
electric blowback is pretty poor anyways, just watch a youtube vid and you'll see that they're more trouble then worth.
SRC G36s should be good, and very nice for the money. Just stick with those, since you're not looking at the ejection port when you shoulder your rifle anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
The chinese steal everything. Haven't seen an original idea come out of that country yet.
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:25   #6
kalnaren

Blowback is a gimmick more than anything. As far as I'm concerned it's just one more thing to break on an AEG.

For a G36 I'd go for a Classic Army one.. but it will cost you $500 - $550. I've had mine for 3+ years now and it's still my primary. I've heard good things about the Gen III SRC ones but I haven't examined one personally.

And don't waste your money on CT guns. They're not even in the same league as the airsoft guns we play with, and you'll be so outclassed at a game you WONT enjoy it.

Just be patient and save your money.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:33   #7
Eien

I know alot of people who got GBB pistols as their first guns. If your plaining to play CQB alot then going for a GBB pistol route is good. Otherwise, get yourself AV'ed (hope you will soon). There is alot of good deals over at the classifieds.
Eien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:34   #8
Short Round
Najohn

Put a couple hundred more in and you'll be fine, $300 will get you a good starter gun but may not last. Like anything you pay for what you get.
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:37   #9
GODSPEED|seven

Yeah, although I completely agree with the advice I'm getting, I should have pointed out though that my buddies whom I will go play with, don't go to paintball/airsoft fields, they have some cottage up in the country we'll play at.. either that or some lost abandonned building.

So I'll forget blowback.. and for some reason, someone had told me we cannot have Classic Army here... maybe you can shed some light on this.. where could I get one? All the stores (online and near my place) only have KJW, SRC, KWA and G&G.. I've read so-so reviews about G&G's, so unless I can find something better than SRC... I'll be "stuck" with that. Thanks again!
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:43   #10
[SIK] Piér

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eien View Post
Otherwise, get yourself AV'ed (hope you will soon). There is alot of good deals over at the classifieds.
That's where you'll find a CA (Classic Army).

Worst case scenario, get AVed (Age Verified) just for your team to buy stuff from ASC (AirsoftCanada).

And yea, 300.00$ is a waste of money.

If you want it to last (more than 2 years) and NOT to have stuff to repair or whatever, wait to have a little more money to spend on it.

If you're not sure, find a local game. You'll get AVed AND you might be able to have a look/try other people's guns.

"Don't touch what you can't grab."

Last edited by [SIK] Piér; March 16th, 2010 at 21:46..
[SIK] Piér is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:46   #11
CDN__Player

SRC Gen III guns outclass G&G on the specs chart by a mile.

Heres a look at the SRC Gen III M4 gearbox, its just great. It would be similar to the G36's internals in quality.
YouTube- 007 Airsoft - SRC Gen III M4 Gearbox Review

If you want to go a bit cheaper you could get the SRC GEN II XM8. Which was the best XM8 on the market back in GEN II, and is the best SRC GEN II gun.

TM P90 TR..............TM Desert Eagle................Remington700
+ and...
CDN__Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:50   #12
Thenooblord
Can't fix my own guns. Willing to fix yours.

Send a message via MSN to Thenooblord
but SRC gen 2 is still total shit

Words to live by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
The apartment I am in right now costs $100 a month.
My average spending on food per day is less than $4.
My airsoft spending in the last month and a half has totaled over $1400.
They're called priorities. Get yourself some.
Thenooblord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:51   #13
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED|seven View Post
Yeah, although I completely agree with the advice I'm getting, I should have pointed out though that my buddies whom I will go play with, don't go to paintball/airsoft fields, they have some cottage up in the country we'll play at.. either that or some lost abandonned building.

So I'll forget blowback.. and for some reason, someone had told me we cannot have Classic Army here... maybe you can shed some light on this.. where could I get one? All the stores (online and near my place) only have KJW, SRC, KWA and G&G.. I've read so-so reviews about G&G's, so unless I can find something better than SRC... I'll be "stuck" with that. Thanks again!
No point in getting a pistol first.. get an AEG, if it shoots over 350 do a spring swap ($20) so it shoots in the 340-350 range, then you can use it for both indoor and outdoor.

A selection of guns from VFC, ICS, Classic Army, and Real Sword are now available from certain Canadian retailers (and yes you can have CA here.. I own one and have for 3 years lol). As was mentioned, read up on Age Verifacation (there's a sticky here in the n00b tank). That will open up a whole world of available kit.

Quote:
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:51   #14
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED|seven View Post

Yeah this is NOT a good idea at all. The cottage one for the reason that if its accessible or in view of the public then you will be up shits creek with your local ERT team for a paddle. And the abandoned building part, never EVER play on a property where you do not have explicit permission from the property owner. There was a thread a while back with these 3 or 4 dudes from out in BC that did just that, ended up getting banned from all of their local clubs and games.

If you want to play get in touch with your local community via the Events section on here for Quebec and you will be set. Only play on sanctioned fields and you will avoid any trouble, legally or whathaveyou.

Once you get AV'ed you will have access to Classic Army, as has been said, as well as any gun you can pretty much think of. $300 is a bit of a lowball but it would JUST get you a decent starter gun, but not much else. Get yourself AV'ed (Age Verified, if your not sure what this is look for the sticky at the top of the forum), get to some local games and integrate yourself with your community, set yourself up with some rentals so you can find out which style of gun suits your style and body best and the rest will be history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 22:01   #15
Shooting Addict
* KNOWN LIAR *

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
No point in getting a pistol first.. get an AEG, if it shoots over 350 do a spring swap ($20) so it shoots in the 340-350 range, then you can use it for both indoor and outdoor.

A selection of guns from VFC, ICS, Classic Army, and Real Sword are now available from certain Canadian retailers (and yes you can have CA here.. I own one and have for 3 years lol). As was mentioned, read up on Age Verifacation (there's a sticky here in the n00b tank). That will open up a whole world of available kit.
Is Mach1 bring in RS for sure then? or do you mean buying them from the classifieds.
You can tell a person over and over that 4 + 5 = 9 and show them the mechanics of how addition works, but at the end of the day when you look into their eyes you know damn well that in their heads they still see 4 + 5 = pineapple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Harden the fuck up, you liberal pussies.
Shooting Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank