View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2015, 04:25   #32
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Maybe I'm not being heard, but that's okay. A laser must enter the eye for ocular damage to occur, period. Depending on the power of the laser will determine how long it must remain in the eye for damage to occur, period. There are lasers that can damage your eyes instantly upon contact, or entering through the lense, I never said there wasn't. I don't know if I have seen such a laser on an airsoft field and I surely wouldn't put it to the test. Hitting an eye directly(small ass target), with a laser (small ass projectile), and having it remain on that target for more than a micro-second (never mind head movement, hand shaking, etc), with a super dangerous/will blind you instantly class of laser, on an airsoft field in game, is pretty freakin' astronomical. That was my point, not that we should avoid safety. I think that only approved lasers should be allowed in airsoft, but with some of the morons I've played with, I'd also expect some way of holding accountability. Here's a question, is there a laser device out there that has a variable output? On low it's safe, but turn it up and it isn't? My point thee is, there are variable FPS guns, etc, but a high FPS gun isn't really something that concerns me as I'll only get hurt and not damage my eyesight. Much like chronoing a gun and then swapping cylinders. Perhaps there isn't a device like that, but I couldn't say. We shouldn't be scaring the begeesus out of people yet though, especially seeing as all game hosts won't be on the same page.

Everytime you step onto the airsoft field we accept a certain amount of risk. Where I play right now, lasers are outright banned. That doesn't mean some assclown isn't going to throw one on in game and blind me anyways. Don't tell me you guys haven't seen someone crank up their FPS after a chrono or use a silica round or throw on a laser after the safety briefing. The budget airsoft mentality seems to be much like the pirate mentality. Just as people can't afford movies, music, etc, and so they just steal it, those who can't afford proper equipment in airsoft, will run chinese/eye dangerous knock off crap even if it's against the rules. The probability is high, and these are the jerks who will shine it in someone's face. Do you still play airsoft, or do you stay at home in case someone runs an improper laser? So lasers aren't the boogie men we're making them out to be. There needs to be safety regulations, but like everything else, if you outright ban then you will lose a chunk of the market. Players who are willing to spend whatever it takes to have top tiered gear, and lets just say a proper and safe real steel IR laser are going to want to run it. So if they are banned, those players will play elsewhere. If you allow them to run the proper laser, then those that can't afford them will run cheaper knockoffs, even if the aren't allowed to. So lasers are apart of airsoft, there's no denying that. So to me at least, a measuring device on the field seems to be the only reasonable option for large games that allow them. Not to mention, if they are becoming an issue, your admins will have to know what to look for and strictly enforce laser safety.

I still think I'm at more risk of hearing damage from all of the grenades and devices I've seen over the tears, and yet no one ever seems to care about sound devices or things that go bang.

Easiest way to enforce lasers, is ban all visible ones, they aren't necessary. I won't even put mine on my gun with the battery out for looks, it's just not on me in game at all ever. Allow for 1mw IR lasers max. Non variable, from Canada, US distributors with proper documentation. So that players can at least use their night vision to its full extent.