View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2015, 23:55   #6
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Good post, should be referred to every time something about lasers comes up.
I would also add in the time it takes to damage a cornea with a .5mW laser versus a 5mW laser.
But to answer the questions asked on the last thread that was locked before I could reply:

1) This is not a Chinese laser, with a Chinese class 1 sticker, rated by a Chinese source. That would be extremely irresponsible and I'm pretty sure it would leave me open to some pretty costly lawsuits.
It would be a modified Chinese laser, SERIALIZED, with a NORTH AMERICAN class 1 sticker, rated by a NORTH AMERICAN reputable source, with NORTH AMERICAN documentation, which has the particular serial number of the unit on it. It would be under no less scrutiny than a real DBAL I². And if I cannot get those EXACT requirements, then I simply won't go ahead with this. Simple as that.

The comment of "You have gen3 nvd, and two ptws, but you can't afford a real class 1 laser?":
Yes, I can absolutely afford to spend $1600 on a class 1 laser.
But others cannot.
I have gen3 night vision, I don't even NEED a class 1 laser since I can aim with my iron sights.
But people with gen1 and gen2 can't. Therefore they'll use IR lasers. You think someone who paid $500 for their night vision is going to spend $1200-$1600 on a real class 1 laser? Significantly less likely than someone who spent $3500.
So we ban anything but trusted class 1 lasers at major night games. Great, we've fixed the issue for everyone going to those big milsims.
But people will still run them at their own fields, in other games, risking other people's eyes.
However, those people who are picking up $160 G&P DBALs or $120 8mw IR lasers might not be opposed to spend a bit extra to make sure it's not going to blind anyone.

Let me make it ABUNDANTLY clear that my goal is not to find a sneaky way to acquire a shadily tested class 1 laser for my own use to save a few dollars and put everyone's eyesight at risk.

My goal is to find a way to supply people with adequately tested and marked and documented IR lasers at a reasonable price so they won't put THEIR friend's eyesight at risk.

I'm not trying to save money here, I'm trying to help you accomplish YOUR goal, with a much broader demographic, in a way that would be no less accurate than the real deal.
And with me behind the project, it's at least a name people can vouch for, as opposed to johnny nobody airsoft retailer who just wants to cash in on a niche market.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote